EV Cables - EV PORTABLE (GRANNY) CHARGER WEATHERPROOF EXTENSION LEAD.

Lovemyev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Not sure if anybody would be interested in the offer I received from EV Cables this morning ?.
Handy to leave at a caravan or to take along if you are taking a short break, where the charging infrastructure is known to be poor.
Different lengths available.
There is a 10% discount offer available until Friday.

Discount code EVT10OFF! in the link below.

EV Cables 1 2022-05-17 at 13.00.08.png

EV Cables 2  2022-05-17 at 13.01.05.png

Thank you - I've been umming and ahhing about getting one. If you've bought one, what did you think of it?

Thank you - I've been umming and ahhing about getting one. If you've bought one, what did you think of it?
It's only gone on offer this morning.
If you are unsure about ordering one I would say only this.
When they released the V2L cable, it became SO popular in only a few days, that the price shot through the roof !.
I do have the V2L cable and the quality is really good.
I keep my cable wound around the spare wheel under the boot floor and the Type 2 public charging cable.
I cant be doing with cables just slung in the boot on show, it kicks off my OCD.

Does it have a temperature probe in the plug to detect if the home socket is melting? I guess you can depend on the plug in your Granny but there's a 50-50 chance it'll melt on the home socket side. Also what's the RCD type? Most (probably all) inline RCDs are type AC so not really useful or up to code.

I'm sure the cable is of good quality and all but it's just a dumb cable with some random RCD spliced to it, I wouldn't pay 100 quid for one.

Does it have a temperature probe in the plug to detect if the home socket is melting? I guess you can depend on the plug in your Granny but there's a 50-50 chance it'll melt on the home socket side. Also what's the RCD type? Most (probably all) inline RCDs are type AC so not really useful or up to code.
These are excellent question that EV cables are better qualified to answer than myself, we would love to hear their response to your questions when you ask them 👍.

I installed something similar except I used a kit I bought from B&Q for half the price of that. It included a weatherproof (and lockable) exterior, switched socket and an interior RCD that plugs into a 13A socket, had my BMW PHEV charging on that every night for almost a year and had no issues with the car nor the consumer unit tripping in the house. It's got nothing to do with the extension lead, its the RCD unit that is important and this is just a very expensive way of getting an 13A plugged RCD 🤷‍♂️

Something like this is what I have only a single socket.

And looking at the comment from EV Cables "Unlike any DIY store extension leads which are often sold as weatherproof" they are praying on uninformed people here by using this type of language as any socket with an IP66 rating is going to be the same level of protection (and is the same level of IP rating as their own). Plus the socket I bought is designed to be permanently fixed to an outside wall in all weathers... really bugs me when a company resorts to underhand tactics like "unlike x, y and z" when their product is "exactly the same" as x, y and z's product...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom