Ev Emergency braking

MKMG

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a new to this forum . My car was delivered 2 weeks ago. Runs well. Today it applied emergency brakes as I was entering a roundabout , it scared me .Luckily there were no vehicles behind me. Has anyone encountered similar issues ? is it a fault I am not sure. Please enlighten me. Thanks . Mark

You mean the vehicle applied the emergency brakes it’s self??
If it did have a look in your settings and double check it’s how you want the car setup as there is and option for the vehicle to take control and reduce speed according to road traffic signage.

Mines only done that a couple of times in 6 months....usually when there is something unusual happening up front...or to one side....cyclist or someone changing lanes at short notice etc. It can be alarming.

Turn the sensitivity down?

Thanks for the replies. I shall
You mean the vehicle applied the emergency brakes it’s self??
If it did have a look in your settings and double check it’s how you want the car setup as there is and option for the vehicle to take control and reduce speed according to road traffic signage.
Yes it did and almost came to a halt in the middle of roundabout

Mines only done that a couple of times in 6 months....usually when there is something unusual happening up front...or to one side....cyclist or someone changing lanes at short notice etc. It can be alarming.

Turn the sensitivity down?
Thanks. I will try to reduce the sensitivity if it is possible .

There are options in your settings, but also look at what I said about settings where the car will adjust to road traffic speed signs. It’s all in the user manual or just play and look at your options. Good luck.

There are options in your settings, but also look at what I said about settings where the car will adjust to road traffic speed signs. It’s all in the user manual or just play and look at your options. Good luck.
Thanks

Yes, I had a similar situation but it was as I was cornering on a left hand bend and the "radar" picked up a car coming towards me. There were warning yellow triangles, beeps and all sorts going on, but only momentary.

I had similar on my SEAT but not quite so sensitive.

I have the same problem quite regularly, and I have just got used to it (I guess Chrispydoc must drive more sedately that I if he only gets it infrequently!). It seems to be reacting to cars in front, eg cars that are turning off to the left that I estimate will be off the road by the time I get there, weaving between parked cars in residential areas, and going around left hand bends where the car on the opposite side of the road may seem to be headed toward you to the radar. It is good to read about being able to turn the sensitivity down, I will look into it?

I got it a couple times when cars in front were turning off into a side road and the distance is closing quite quickly. How fast I'm actually travelling seems to affect the sensitivity of it. I reduced the sensitivity from "NORMAL" to "LOW" and it's not as severe.

Guys,

It is quite simple, (and we all do it, or have done it), we are driving along and note the vehicle(s) in front are driving to the left of us (usually) and we come up behind them a bit too quickly because they are taking longer to move out of our path than what we anticipated and the cars safety system (quite rightly so) comes into force.

If we are honest with ourselves its not the car but us causing it in my opinion. I also notice that when in Adaptive Cruise Control mode and coming up to a bend where we should be driving a bit slower in reality the car's Adaptive Cruise Control slows you down because the radar thinks it is running out of road.

However as stated in the threads the sensitivity can be reduced and you also set whether it just warns you or brakes, your choice.

Regards

Frank

Personally I would always advise people to leave the autonomous emergency braking system on for the rare but expensive occasions when a wall is suddenly built in front of your car :unsure:
Seriously it saved me from an accident in a moment of distraction

So yes, put up with the occasional false positive and protect yourself from an inconvenient prang.

Good point............But he did take his eye of the ball for a fair while!

I did rear end a VW Beetle..that was fitted with a tow bar, while driving my Mini Van....in 1970! The damage to VW was minimal, my Mini Van came off worse......I never forgot about it and it made me more cautious.

Back to the MG, I'm sure that on one of my occasions, it was a complete mystery to me........So I just have to be "physiologically prepared" to stamp on the accelerator if it does it again!

As I don't want to get rear-ended!

Last edited:
Leave it on yes, but tone it down to the "LOW" sensitivity setting on the MG as it's a bit fierce. @Stuart Wright maybe adaptive cruise would have been more suitable in those conditions, that's if the Ioniq has it and it works down to 0 mph.

Hi, I have a 21 plate mg zs ev and my car has done this more times than I can remember and it has made me crash 3 times 1 time it smashed an alloy wheel another time it suffered from a few scratches but the main one was when it slammed on the brakes for no reason and I ended up in a ditch on its side, 3 police cars ambulance and the fire truck was called to pull the car out and I went to the hospital, MG says the car is fine no issues and I'm still having issues with the car as it did it today and I was close to getting rear-ended.

just to add my setting is on low and I have noticed my dad who has the same car has none of the issues I have, his car beeps when he approaches another car a little too quick but mine constantly vibrates the brake, and stabs them on.

now to be clear I think my issue is not a common issue and is just my car but they still can't find an issue with it.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a 21 plate mg zs ev and my car has done this more times than I can remember and it has made me crash 3 times 1 time it smashed an alloy wheel another time it suffered from a few scratches but the main one was when it slammed on the brakes for no reason and I ended up in a ditch on its side, 3 police cars ambulance and the fire truck was called to pull the car out and I went to the hospital, MG says the car is fine no issues and I'm still haveing issues with the car as it did it today and I was close to getting rear-ended.
How exactly did you end up in a ditch by it slamming the brakes on ? 🤔

the road was wet and muddy on a bend so I lost control and the car slid off the road.
never been so scared.
The car is booked in on the 19th of November to get looked at for the 3rd time but it's going to a different dealership this time.

the road was wet and muddy on a bend so I lost control and the car slid off the road.
never been so scared.
The car is booked in on the 19th of November to get looked at for the 3rd time but it's going to a different dealership this time.
Definitely something wrong there, the car shouldn't be braking on a bend. I'm pretty sure mine lets go of the AEB when I turn the wheel.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom