EV Mobile phone use

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We are struggling with the mobile phone on our EV.

We have downloaded the Android app but are yet to apply it,

I've read the manual and can't see if there is an on board, non Android MG device voice command phone activated dial command ?

I have made hard calls via the touch screen but not voice requested activation. Am I missing something ?

Hello Ian,
could you please explain more detailed what you mean with "the Android App"? Do you mean Andriod Auto?

Android Auto needs a wired connection via the LEFT Side USB Plug to get connected with your Car, to be sure you should use the original cable which comes with your Phone - We had problems with 3rd Party cables!

As usual, Android Auto needs a lot of permissions, you have to decide if you can live with this!

As far as I know is no onboard Voice Command System in European Cars - the Box which makes the Dataconnection is removed by MG because of General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Information on this is very contradictory, supposedly there will maybe be an online solution in 2020, but very little will happen without pressure from buyers and owners.

Many thanks for your reply and yes I am referring to the Android Auto App that I have downloaded to my phone and will be trying it out later today. I am happy to use the onboard Sat Nav or Google mapping via the app. The standard on board hands free is acceptable but its a pain to have to pull off the highway to access the contacts menu to use the phone. MG have definitely missed an opportunity for customers by not enabling the voice recognition. Safety & legislation is paramount and if you must use the phone whilst driving, HANDS FREE of course, then why not enable european market cars and GDPR seems to be a poor excuse on their part ! Here's hoping that MG address all the updates including timed charging quirks, incessant bongs and this phone shortcoming. I have emailed MG directly. Love the car but I was not aware that a basic function like voice access was not fitted in the vehicle, should have asked I guess!

i can't stress this point enough!
the best way is to annoy your dealer and to point out functions that are also available in asian countries, for example.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom