David Harris

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi,
I have just purchased an MG HS PHEV, October 2021, as a interim step towards full EV ownership as the infrastructure for full EV is not yet available, and mainly as a way of reducing the running costs as the majority of the time is spent on short journeys of 5 to 25 miles a day, which I believed would be completed in full EV mode, however my car cannot be switched to full EV mode until around 5 miles have been completed and even then it keeps jumping to engine mode. This totally defeats the purpose of me buying this model as the fuel economy when in engine mode is worse than my previous car.
Is this normal or is my car faulty? Thanks

Hi,
I have just purchased an MG HS PHEV, October 2021, as a interim step towards full EV ownership as the infrastructure for full EV is not yet available, and mainly as a way of reducing the running costs as the majority of the time is spent on short journeys of 5 to 25 miles a day, which I believed would be completed in full EV mode, however my car cannot be switched to full EV mode until around 5 miles have been completed and even then it keeps jumping to engine mode.
I would think a lot depends on the conditions, I cant comment on the MG HS but our Outlander PHEV always started the engine if the weather was cold in order to heat the water for the cabin heating. Maybe your MG HS is doing the same?

This totally defeats the purpose of me buying this model as the fuel economy when in engine mode is worse than my previous car.
You havent stated what the fuel consumption is not what your previous car was so impossible to comment.

Probably normal operation, without more info not possible to comment.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have just purchased an MG HS PHEV, October 2021, as a interim step towards full EV ownership as the infrastructure for full EV is not yet available, and mainly as a way of reducing the running costs as the majority of the time is spent on short journeys of 5 to 25 miles a day, which I believed would be completed in full EV mode, however my car cannot be switched to full EV mode until around 5 miles have been completed and even then it keeps jumping to engine mode. This totally defeats the purpose of me buying this model as the fuel economy when in engine mode is worse than my previous car.
Simply put yes in the cold weather.

Upvote 0
Its normal as the HS is not fitted with an electric heater. The cars uses the ICE for the heating in the same way as a traditional car does. I get around 40MPG when the car uses mainly the ICE which is not bad considering its a big SUV, my diesel car averaged about 44MPG overall so yes worse but not a lot. However in the warmer conditions, my average MPG jumps to around 150 which is excellent. Stick with it it's a good car yes it has its niggles but they are worth persevering with. There is nothing on the market that offers anywhere near what the HS does for the price. Kia Sportage 40K+ I would love one but not at that cost the MG is a bargain.

Upvote 0
I switch off my heater and only put on heated seats and can use full EV mode no problem. Sometimes I open the window to demist the windscreen, but failing that I have to use the screen heater which WILL engage the petrol engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I switch off my heater and only put on heated seats and can use full EV mode no problem. Sometimes I open the window to demist the windscreen, but failing that I have to use the screen heater which WILL engage the petrol engine.
I do the same and intermittently turn on the demister if unable to open the windows, and then turn if off and switch back to EV. Note that you can also turn the rear window demister on in full EV mode.

Upvote 0
just turn the AC on, with LO as temperature setting. air flaw at 1 and air direction to the main front window (and feet). this configuration provides a gentle air flow that keeps the windows clean and the ICE doesn't start.

..and it doesn't provide a cold air flow toward the people inside the car. at least according to my "skin sensibility" ;-)

Upvote 0
if you drop your inside temp on both sides to 19 deg, it will only go into auto mode for a couple of minutes after starting. It uses the cars heater which is run by the water temp.
Also to help with demisting the windscreen set the air to be from the outside instead of recirculating. This is what I do here in winter in NZ when the outside temp drops down below 10 deg. During summer here my MG Phev stays in aircon all the time. It seems to be the water temp that stops it going into EV mode. Another way is to warm it up first for a few minutes first before driving.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom