EV opposition in the media is ramping up

Good for you. I couldn't stand it!

I had a discussion with a woman after church on Sunday, someone I've known for a long time. I don't know how we got on to the subject, but she started coming out with all the DM fallacies. I said, you're reading too much Daily Mail. She said she never reads it, and I believe her. She's not the type. I think she has been listening to people who do read the Daily Mail, or people who have been listening to people who read the Daily Mail, etc. The narrative spreads well beyond the actual readers of the paper.

EVs are terribly polluting. They're really bad for the roads. The batteries catch fire and explode. Charging is a nightmare. And the rest. Her family has three cars, but sometimes all three need to do long journeys at the same time so they couldn't even manage with one EV. (I think they're loaded, actually, no reason they couldn't go for a really long range model.)

The idea of putting a canopy over the village charge-point (which is just in front of the church) had her up in arms. I totally missed a trick, I should have asked her if she was against the wooden bus shelter that's about 50 yards further down the road. Because that's all it would take.

Some people.

They have a knack for always being on the wrong side of history, which is encouraging given their slating of EVs and green tech in general.

They caused Brexit, though. For sure you could call that the wrong side of history, because it was epic self-harm, but it happened nevertheless.

Good for you. I couldn't stand it!

I had a discussion with a woman after church on Sunday, someone I've known for a long time. I don't know how we got on to the subject, but she started coming out with all the DM fallacies. I said, you're reading too much Daily Mail. She said she never reads it, and I believe her. She's not the type. I think she has been listening to people who do read the Daily Mail, or people who have been listening to people who read the Daily Mail, etc. The narrative spreads well beyond the actual readers of the paper.

EVs are terribly polluting. They're really bad for the roads. The batteries catch fire and explode. Charging is a nightmare. And the rest. Her family has three cars, but sometimes all three need to do long journeys at the same time so they couldn't even manage with one EV. (I think they're loaded, actually, no reason they couldn't go for a really long range model.)

The idea of putting a canopy over the village charge-point (which is just in front of the church) had her up in arms. I totally missed a trick, I should have asked her if she was against the wooden bus shelter that's about 50 yards further down the road. Because that's all it would take.

Some people.
The haters will always hate.
It’s like Sheep 🐑.
Found in the good book - “Lead and they will follow” 👍.

Last edited:
I doubt if it will ever dawn on a even a few of the Daily Mail’s loyal readers that a paper that until the start of the war supported Hitler (Headlines such as "Hoorah for the Blackshirts"), is owned by a tax-exile living in France, and was until recently edited by a man who received a fortune in EU farm subsidy money, may not have the best interests of the country at heart after all.

I doubt if it will ever dawn on a even a few of the Daily Mail’s loyal readers that a paper that until the start of the war supported Hitler (Headlines such as "Hoorah for the Blackshirts"), is owned by a tax-exile living in France, and was until recently edited by a man who received a fortune in EU farm subsidy money, may not have the best interests of the country at heart after all.
Their latest line today is that development of renewables in Germany is leading to the rise of the far right.

My goodness. The DM is really ramping it up. I continue to fight the good fight on their discussion boards but get absolutely battered with red arrows and abusive comments. I will still keep going though as I believe changing just one person's mind is a success.
Are you reading these online ? If so the more you click on them the more you will get as online is 'smart' and thinks you like those type of articles. :)

I used to get involved with the flat earth luddites, however a few years ago decided on my current tack. Agree with them, nod when they tell you how awful ev's are (I do depending on my mood, pop in the question of how they propose to tackle inner city air pollution and its affect upon children). Then I think happily of my brilliant EV, how good it is to drive, how I have not had to que in petrol stations (I charge my car at home), I pay peanuts to charge (currently 7.5p/kw) and still dont pay road tax (I know its going to change :(). I then smile smugly to myself knowing that in a few years they will be telling everyone who might listen to the boring B*****s how fantastic ev's are.

Are you reading these online ? If so the more you click on them the more you will get as online is 'smart' and thinks you like those type of articles. :)
No. I actively go on the DM app and try to persuade at least one of them to embrace EVs and renewables. There are a few of us on there doing it. There are some just at the point of turning.

What would also help immensely is people who charge at home and very occasionally charge on a long journey stop saying it would be guaranteed to be a nightmare without home charging. In essence they are doing the same as non EV drivers commenting on EVs. Doing the occasional charge on route in no way, shape or form gives you the experience or knowledge of those who live successfully with an EV, but without at home charging.

What would also help immensely is people who charge at home and very occasionally charge on a long journey stop saying it would be guaranteed to be a nightmare without home charging. In essence they are doing the same as non EV drivers commenting on EVs. Doing the occasional charge on route in no way, shape or form gives you the experience or knowledge of those who live successfully with an EV, but without at home charging.
As much as I don't believe I would describe it as a nightmare if I didn't have a home charger, if anyone asks me I certainly am honest and say I would struggle to have an EV if I didn't have the ability to charge at home, I sing the praises of the car but I'm not going to lie when asked my opinion.
And I regularly top up on public chargers when on journeys.

Only 2 days ago I met an old acquiantance who asked "What about the battery?" when they found out I drove an electric car.

"What about it?" I replied. "When the car fails it's MOT and has to be scrapped, the battery will be used for residential storage."

He only knew what Jeremy Clarkson had said all those years ago on Top Gear that they would go into landfill after 3 years.

As much as I don't believe I would describe it as a nightmare if I didn't have a home charger, if anyone asks me I certainly am honest and say I would struggle to have an EV if I didn't have the ability to charge at home, I sing the praises of the car but I'm not going to lie when asked my opinion.
And I regularly top up on public chargers when on journeys.
My son drove 100 miles to the Midlands on Friday to meet up with some old school friends, and I went with him to visit my old stomping ground. Never gave charging a second thought as there are chargers everywhere.

Also, when I used to drive a fossil car all those years ago, I never had a petrol pump at home, I always had to go out of my way to a filling station to fill the tank. :)

Only 2 days ago I met an old acquiantance who asked "What about the battery?" when they found out I drove an electric car.

"What about it?" I replied. "When the car fails it's MOT and has to be scrapped, the battery will be used for residential storage."

He only knew what Jeremy Clarkson had said all those years ago on Top Gear that they would go into landfill after 3 years.
Totally agree I have spent a lot of time trying to dispel some of the UK media EV myths that are out there.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom