EV opposition in the media is ramping up

This is a duplicate of this thread.

I've merged the two threads together :)
I can’t agree with what you have done here Alb, the title of this thread ( FUD is coming thick and fast ) means nothing to me ( feel free to explain ) which is why I had not seen that tedges had posted the video clip from the fully charge pod cast here and I posted it with an appropriate title to try and attract attention to the subject now removed which concerned the video content which was discussed.
I have tried to remove my post as there is no point in have too videos of the same thing so please remove mine I can’t see how to, and i will try To be more carful in the future before I post anything else on this forum.
Les

Last edited:
I can’t agree with what you have done here Alb, the title of this thread ( FUD is coming thick and fast ) means nothing to me ( feel free to explain ) which is why I had not seen that tedges had posted the video clip from the fully charge pod cast here and I posted it with an appropriate title to try and attract attention to the subject now removed which concerned the video content which was discussed.
I have tried to remove my post as there is no point in have to videos of the same thing so please remove mine I can’t see how to, and i will try To be more carful in the future before I post anything else on this forum.
Les
Fear, uncertainty and doubt (often shortened to FUD) is a propaganda tactic used in sales, marketing, public relations, politics, polling and cults. FUD is generally a strategy to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information, and is a manifestation of the appeal to fear.

A good example is the Daily Mails endless campaign against EVs and renewables. The initiative discussed on Fully Charged (which you posted the link on) is a strategy to counter this FUD.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt (often shortened to FUD) is a propaganda tactic used in sales, marketing, public relations, politics, polling and cults. FUD is generally a strategy to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information, and is a manifestation of the appeal to fear.

A good example is the Daily Mails endless campaign against EVs and renewables. The initiative discussed on Fully Charged (which you posted the link on) is a strategy to counter this FUD.
Thank for that Ruislip please believe me when I say I was not getting at your posting or it’s title I’m must be getting to old for all these abbreviations and text talk these days, but I thank you for your explanation, but I still maintain its the last place. I would’ve expected to find the video that is posted in it and would never of look there to see it.
Les

Les, I put it there because that thread was discussing the bad press in the media recently and the video was exactly addressing this. It seemed the perfect place.

For what it is worth, I think this merged thread should get a clearer title, eg: "Anti-EV Press Stoking Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt". But it isn't my thread, so I can't change it.

It took me a wee while to figure out what it meant, about ten years ago, because during the independence referendum it meant "federalists, unionists and devolutionists". A well-chosen epithet, given what was going on at the time!

None of us can fail to have noticed the kickback against EVs and the move to more sustainable motoring with countless misinformation stories run and re-run. Is now the time to kick back at the EV Kick Back, Fully Charge Show and FairCharge think so.

"Misinformation about Electric Vehicles and Clean Energy is at an all-time high. Vested interests have almost limitless funds with which to pollute public discourse, and it's easy to feel powerless to prevent that. With your help that can change."

Les, I put it there because that thread was discussing the bad press in the media recently and the video was exactly addressing this. It seemed the perfect place.

For what it is worth, I think this merged thread should get a clearer title, eg: "Anti-EV Press Stoking Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt". But it isn't my thread, so I can't change it.
Ok I see where you coming for tsedge but as I said earlier I would never have related the video discussion with FUD etc, I hadn’t seen that thread at all I did look in other places to see if somebody had posted the video but could not find it anyhow I have asked Alb to take it down as I can’t see how, he’s remove the title for the thread I started but left the video in the so it’s up to him now.
As far as I’m concerned i just wish the guys in the video the very best of luck with it and thank them in advance for their efforts, the way things are going the uptake of EVs in not going to happen anytime soon fossil fuels are still falling in price the charging infrastructure is only very slowly improving but cost are still very high, if you can’t charge at home why would you even consider an EV as the vehicles are still expensive to purchase new in the first place and the 2nd market is full of them and they are not selling, now on the other hand if you can charge at home or at work there as never been a better time to buy in the 2nd hand market for the moment the bubble as burst in my opinion for EV take up but it will recover at some point.
Les

Yes, lots of anti-ev YouTube channels too. Seems actual bitterness and hatred out there. The only point I would make is that I would never buy an EV if I couldn’t home charge. This thought equates to exclusion for many and maybe this is part of the reason for so much negativity.

That's an interesting thought. I have a friend who would like an EV but not only can she not home charge, there are no chargers at all within walking distance. I've suggested she wait and see what develops, as her Polo is still in good nick, but whatever happens she's not going to have it as easy as I have it.

There are people on the forum who have EVs but can't home charge, including one member whose house doesn't have mains electricity, and whose nearest charger is seven miles away down a single-track road. But these people are either committed and determined to make it work, or they're lucky enough to have some sort of type 2 charging available within a short walk of home, even a lamp post charger.

I can totally see why anyone without home charging capability would rune a mile, frankly. If the government is serious about getting everyone on to EVs they are going to have to do something pretty radical about this. And they're politicians, so what are the chances?

Yes agreed but I wonder and worry about the capability to scale up infrastructure. I was talking to someone who works in my local Sainsbury’s petrol station and she says they get 200 cars an hour through there. I just can’t imagine how charging stations will cope if EV numbers continue to increase. So as you say, something pretty radical needed but what? Maybe battery swapping facilities?

I don't think battery swapping facilities will ever be a thing with cars, for reasons I have read elsewhere but would take too long to go into now.

But think about it this way. How often did you go into a petrol station when you had an ICE car? How often do you use a public charger now? Most people are going to do most of their charging at home. We don't have to cater for every single car needing to get on public charging points to go anywhere. We need to pick up the slack for people who can't charge at home, and who need to drive longer than the range of their car before returning home. That's still going to be a big undertaking, but it's not as big as you might imagine.

What about "EV Opposition in the "Media" is now the time to take a stand?"

😉
Well Rolfe, I could go with that but this is not my thread to say I was just added to it, so its down to Ruislip Resident as it is he’s thread I don’t mind what it’s called.
I can also go with what tsedge as written above #26 which I have only just read but it’s not my call
I don’t mind what it’s called as long as it can be understood by everyone here
Les

Last edited:
Having watched the video couple of times, it does make the point that if the U.K. is going to keep pace regarding EV’s we need to commit to building a battery giga factory here.
Well it was interesting to hear on the news tonight, that at least this could ave taken a small step closer ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom