EV opposition in the media is ramping up

Taxi drivers are a bit of a special case as they are often driving older (nissan leaf?) cars with smaller batteries, at least if Dundee is any measure. This means they have to charge more often but it takes less time than a bigger battery car. For a taxi driver any time spent driving to and from a charger is lost revenue so they might be thinking get the car as high as poss.

Remembering the Irish taxi driver (MG5 standard) who has a youtube channel saying he charges overnight at home and that does him all day. 200 miles range is plenty for town taxies and as the older cars are replaced we should see less charger hogging from them.

Taxi drivers are a bit of a special case as they are often driving older (nissan leaf?) cars with smaller batteries, at least if Dundee is any measure. This means they have to charge more often but it takes less time than a bigger battery car. For a taxi driver any time spent driving to and from a charger is lost revenue so they might be thinking get the car as high as poss.

Remembering the Irish taxi driver (MG5 standard) who has a youtube channel saying he charges overnight at home and that does him all day. 200 miles range is plenty for town taxies and as the older cars are replaced we should see less charger hogging from them.
In Weston super Mare, I've seen four MG5 taxis, a Tesla Model S, a couple of 38kWh Ioniq's, and there aren't that many rapid chargers about, but I've never seen any of them charging. I suppose the bigger batteries must last them all day.

The only time I saw a queue at the charger at the end of my road, it was an actual black cab that was electric. When I drove out to the cattery he was waiting in the second bay, and when I came back with the cat he was charging on a port in the middle of the front of the car. I didn't know they made actual black cabs that were EVs. I thought maybe he needed to charge if he'd brought a fare out from Edinburgh, but it's only 20 miles. Maybe he just wanted some of our cheap electricity.

Today's Daily Mail article is why your EV is not as green as you think. Within its comments section thete is already criticism of the new battery plant in the south west. Apparently because it manufacturers things its not green. So ICE cars just spontaneously leap into existence then!

The only time I saw a queue at the charger at the end of my road, it was an actual black cab that was electric. When I drove out to the cattery he was waiting in the second bay, and when I came back with the cat he was charging on a port in the middle of the front of the car. I didn't know they made actual black cabs that were EVs. I thought maybe he needed to charge if he'd brought a fare out from Edinburgh, but it's only 20 miles. Maybe he just wanted some of our cheap electricity.

They made a new model EV black cab a few years ago to meet the london LEZ rules. It will charge on any connector, AC, CCS or Chademo.

Other examples of NIMBYism, and based on FUD

Last edited:
It is difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff, in this case I would say the adjacent residents have concerns that are backed up by the fire service. They need to be fully addressed before construction, its not just that they are batteries, it is an industrial installation that needs to be fully risk assesed by an independant authority.

Today's Daily Mail article is why your EV is not as green as you think. Within its comments section thete is already criticism of the new battery plant in the south west. Apparently because it manufacturers things its not green. So ICE cars just spontaneously leap into existence then!
I knew it wouldn't take them long to come up with some old recycled urban myth to regurgitate.

Do they realise that the US Tesla factories are completely covered in solar panels and actually export excess to the grid?

Do they realise that the Hyundai factory in South Korea is completely covered in solar panels and generates all the energy it needs to run the factory?

No, they don't, because that would mean they have to do some "proper" journalism and research their stories.

Sorry. Mini rant over.

Around me in London they drive MG5s, MG ZSs, and many have Ioniqs.

They made a new model EV black cab a few years ago to meet the london LEZ rules. It will charge on any connector, AC, CCS or Chademo.
See many of them around, but never using the same chargers I use. Uber and other cabs do have access to some dedicated (to cabs) - I think run by EWB - but the non-black cabs tend to hog the same public chargers that i need.

Thanks, I'd been looking for that. Absolutely fascinating. I can see all the advantages of using an EV as a taxi quite apart from the zero emissions. I was a bit surprised it has a petrol engine as well, but then I don't know much about hybrids, I suppose there's a reason.

They call them London cabs, but the one I saw was probably from Edinburgh, and I'll bet they're going down a storm in Glasgow too.

Last edited:
See many of them around, but never using the same chargers I use. Uber and other cabs do have access to some dedicated (to cabs) - I think run by EWB - but the non-black cabs tend to hog the same public chargers that i need.

Do you think they can't charge at home? I'd be surprised if many cabs drove further than a couple of hundred miles in a day, so why would they need to use publich chargers much?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom