So the New ZS EV 2022 summed up in 12 miles

This could be connected to something I brought up on another thread, relating to the storage of batteries. The Lithium NMC batteries can stand quite long periods in storage with 40-70% charge, but the 12volt Lead Acid Battery if left in low state of charge start to form a layer of Sulpher on the plates and can never be fully recovered. I experienced this with my Toyota hybrid the 12volt battery is needed to boot up system without it its NO GO. If due to the IC shortage our EV cars have been standing long periods then time in transport this could explain problems.
There appears to have been a number of issues were disconnecting the 12volt battery leaving it 10-15 minutes and reconnecting has solved the problem, this may just allow the voltage to rise above a threashold.
Guy had it charged and last 12v didn’t know what’s going on either

No not really. Not if your SAIC. plus here are third parties who can test out cars so not really a reason.
Also the cars that they will be selling to uk market needs to work with uk chargers. That’s just product development.
it doesnt happen everytime though, intermittant issues are always difficult. Especially software! how many iterations of windows, ios, android etc have there been?

All in all the battery was fudged so what ever in the process of that from changing it or disconnecting fixed it.

Might want to carry about a spare battery at this rate 😂

Guy Changed Battery to clear fault, Didn't charge.
plus every time you turn the car on the HV charges the 12volt. so even if youre sat in the house or away on holiday you can check the status of the car with the app including the 12v battery, if its low, just turn the hvac on for a couple of minutes with the app and the 12v will be topped up

All in all the battery was fudged so what ever in the process of that from changing it or disconnecting fixed it.

Might want to carry about a spare battery at this rate 😂
in this instance the HV was shutoff so no way for the 12v to get charged

plus every time you turn the car on the HV charges the 12volt. so even if youre sat in the house or away on holiday you can check the status of the car with the app including the 12v battery, if its low, just turn the hvac on for a couple of minutes with the app and the 12v will be topped up
Correct in normal use 12 volt battery will be maintaned and should have long life, but if we start with duff battery it may never recover fully and may be operating in grey area between 11.5 - 12volt.

One thing that I have noticed on the new ZS EV facelift with the upgraded information unit.
Even though the car is completely shut down.
When I entered the car to clean the finger marks off the screen, when touching the screen, it omits that slight “Beep” sound, that is does when you select a function !.
The car had been completely closed down all night, but this would suggest that some 12 volt supply is still being drawn by the head unit ?.
It sounded a few times, as I pressed my finger on the screen.
The car is completely closed down of course.
Has anybody else spotted this yet ?.
My first though was, is this draining the 12 volt battery ????.

Picked up the new car last night, garage didnt charge it left me with buttons.

Found a charger down the road, connected up at 6pm went to IKEA, about 50 mins later cars at nice 70% ..... AMAZING!

Disconnects, puts all stuff away and turns the car on, control fault....

You kidding me, brand new, done 12 miles and the thing is bricked.... phoned the garage that gave me MG Recovery (AA) which came out tried everything and at 10.30pm at night decided to toe the car to the garage, since its late its in their compound and then to them first thing in the morning,

No my concern is this, what the **** if wrong with this especially brand new, now ive sold the other car to the other garage of thiers im now stuck, insurance changed , the lot.

Dont get me wrong the car is lovely just this is insane why the hell on 12 miles should it brick itself with no way to clear the code or system check.

If i can, its going back and its getting replaced with a tesla.
good idea get a Tesla, they have no issues with build quality or software.... oh actually they do, so i've heard ;)
One thing that I have noticed on the new ZS EV facelift with the upgraded information unit.
Even though the car is completely shut down.
When I entered the car to clean the finger marks off the screen, when touching the screen, it omits that slight “Beep” sound, that is does when you select a function !.
The car had been completely closed down all night, but this would suggest that some 12 volt supply is still being drawn by the head unit ?.
It sounded a few times, as I pressed my finger on the screen.
The car is completely closed down of course.
Has anybody else spotted this yet ?.
My first though was, is this draining the 12 volt battery ????.
i will check this but should also check if it still occurs if the car is locked, just a thought

i will check this but should also check if it still occurs if the car is locked, just a thought
That’s a good shout !.
Maybe it is completely closed down, until it is unlocked or the drivers door has been opened.
This may energise the head unit !.
Not sure how you would confirm this theory?.
Unless you dropped one of the side windows, then locked the car, then left it for a while, then returned and reach in through the open window and touch the screen ????.
Another thing that I think is strange on the facelift model regarding the info unit.
When you close down the car, the info unit remains ON !.
If you leave the car, it is still ON.
It only closes down when you lock the doors.
I tried something last week.
Closed down the car and it’s sat there.
After ten minutes ( on the button ) it closed itself down.
I just think it’s strange that it does not automatically close down the head unit, when you close down the car.
Have you spotted this ?.

Did not know what the fudge you mean @stevenc152 😂

Glad you are sorted. I suspect that less than premium 12v batteries are being used.

As for charging you for a type 2 cable for your not inconsiderable inconvenience... well "tight" springs to mind.

Not sure 20% SOC on delivery is healthy regardless of time in storage. In these strange times, with the extended periods cars are in storage due to chip or shipping issues, manufacturers of EVs should perhaps introduce a regime to keep HV and 12v batteries healthy whilst stored.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a good shout !.
Maybe it is completely closed down, until it is unlocked or the drivers door has been opened.
This may energise the head unit !.
Not sure how you would confirm this theory?.
Unless you dropped one of the side windows, then locked the car, then left it for a while, then returned and reach in through the open window and touch the screen ????.
Another thing that I think is strange on the facelift model regarding the info unit.
When you close down the car, the info unit remains ON !.
If you leave the car, it is still ON.
It only closes down when you lock the doors.
I tried something last week.
Closed down the car and it’s sat there.
After ten minutes ( on the button ) it closed itself down.
I just think it’s strange that it does not automatically close down the head unit, when you close down the car.
Have you spotted this ?.
Yes I’ve spotted this too, the head unit staying on, I have just experimented and if you unlock the car and not press the start button, you do indeed get beeps when pressing the infotainment screen, even though it appears to be off, however, I sat in the car and locked it, the infotainment screen no longer beeps when you touch the screen, my neighbours however, must think I’ve lost the plot 😜😆😂👍

Did not know what the fudge you mean @stevenc152 😂

Glad you are sorted. I said somewhere, and sometime in the past, that MG may be using cheap (and nasty) 12v batteries.

As for charging you for a type 2 cable for your not inconsiderable inconvenience... well "tight" springs to mind.

Not sure 20% SOC on delivery is healthy regardless of time in storage. In these strange times, with the extended periods cars are in storage due to chip or shipping issues, manufacturers of EVs should perhaps introduce a regime to keep HV and 12v batteries healthy whilst stored.
Keeping the cable for the hassle the dealership gave us. They cost us the grant money before the switch as they were legally bound to tell us things were rejected and never bothered. Filled things out wrongly time and time again. Had the same deal get pushed 6 times.

Countless issues countless phone calls to be told that nothing they can do the grant changed you lost it and now from 370 a month your 480.

No? Told them walking away else I want my reserved car for the end of march put through has the lease and they agreed to it. Only downside is the end payment option isn’t there but like said before 4 years time the ev side will go leaps and bounds from it so happy with that. Made money on the Clio win win

Yes I’ve spotted this too, the head unit staying on, I have just experimented and if you unlock the car and not press the start button, you do indeed get beeps when pressing the infotainment screen, even though it appears to be off, however, I sat in the car and locked it, the infotainment screen no longer beeps when you touch the screen, my neighbours however, must think I’ve lost the plot 😜😆😂👍
Thanks for that !.
At least now I know that I am not going completely mad in my old age 🤣.
Your observation strongly suggests that when the car is unlocked, it allows some power into the head unit.
This is why the screen is active to the touch, but not fully alive.
Maybe this aids the boot up time for the head unit ?.
Locking the car to kill the touch screen, sort of confirms our theory then I guess ?.
I just wonder why they decided to leave the head unit completely active, with you turn off the car ?.
You expect it to close down as soon as the car is powered down.
It only completely powers down when you lock the car, which is an odd set up.
If you power down the car completely, then sit with the radio playing.
It will self close after a 10 min wait.
At least that is nice to know !.
Some 12 volt battery usage without it receiving any charge from the HV pack, while this is happening of course.
As we know, the 12 volt battery only receives charge when the car is in READY mode.

Wow just read all seems the dealership is at fault I am lucky then my dealership have been great budgen motors in Shropshire hope all issues have been sorted and head office mg have been involved 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom