So the New ZS EV 2022 summed up in 12 miles

Seriously thinking, and have for a few weeks since ordering, of going down the PHEV route now.
We did originally think of going for mg hs, looks more premium and bigger. 30 miles ev range only and I heard you can't go ev with heater on.... So in the end my wife said why not just go full ev! And here we are now waiting on our delivery..

Seriously thinking, and have for a few weeks since ordering, of going down the PHEV route now.
I considered this very briefly before opting for full BEV, but in reality in my case BEV was the way to go, by no longer buying diesel and getting an over inflated price for my old diesel spewing car the ZS compared to what I was paying is almost costing me nothing (helped by 0% pcp deal) I am saving around £300 p/month compared to what I was paying for bank loan and diesel which is virtually what the new car is costing me including charging. Plus the service plan was only £279 for the next 3 years, plus I get free mots for life of the car at Nathaniel, plus AA cover with every service (comes in handy as I found out 😂) PHEV = 2 things that can go wrong and more expensive servicing and running costs. If you can manage most of your journeys on 30 miles of range then it sounds appealing, but if the ICE part of the car isn’t getting used often then that will become a problem also

Servicing costs on a PHEV grow as the car gets older, trust me I know after owning one for over four years.
You are serving two masters, the demands of a ICE car combined with the demands of an EV as well.
If you doing a lot of short journeys that will fall within the range of the small battery, then they are very cheap to run.
But the longer trips are less economical because you are dragging around a lot of extra weight in a pack that is then almost depleted.
You can recharge the HV battery with the aid of the ICE but this will hammer your fuel consumption.

Been there, done that !.
I see a PHEV as great bridge car, then onto a full EV.
Your plugging it in anyway, so why not a full BEV ?.
We have a BEV and love it! Range isn't great but due to Covid long (holiday) journeys are something we haven't done in the Pug yet, but. Charging infrastructure still isn't up to snuff, both destination chargers and rapids en-route to final destination. It's getting better but still a bit lacking. We like to travel in Europe too, especially Spain and decent infrastructure isn't there yet either. Battery tech, charging speeds and capacity are all improving at quite a pace, if getting more expensive. There will be a tipping point somewhere on the horizon.

As for day to day use - my daily commute is 26 miles round trip, shopping locally is a 12 or so round trip and shopping/ leisure in the nearest city is 30 mile round trip, so filling up with the Wallbox overnight on octopus go fits. I would use ice from time to time to keep it in working order

Servicing cost is a problem, I agree, and it's true there is the increased chance of things going wrong mechanically, more moving parts on the ice etc. It is a consideration.

The jury us still out.......there's no rush, still weighing it all up.

We have a BEV and love it! Range isn't great but due to Covid long (holiday) journeys are something we haven't done in the Pug yet, but. Charging infrastructure still isn't up to snuff, both destination chargers and rapids en-route to final destination. It's getting better but still a bit lacking. We like to travel in Europe too, especially Spain and decent infrastructure isn't there yet either. Battery tech, charging speeds and capacity are all improving at quite a pace, if getting more expensive. There will be a tipping point somewhere on the horizon.

As for day to day use - my daily commute is 26 miles round trip, shopping locally is a 12 or so round trip and shopping/ leisure in the nearest city is 30 mile round trip, so filling up with the Wallbox overnight on octopus go fits. I would use ice from time to time to keep it in working order

Servicing cost is a problem, I agree, and it's true there is the increased chance of things going wrong mechanically, more moving parts on the ice etc. It is a consideration.

The jury us still out.......there's no rush, still weighing it all up.
It depends on your usage case, your case appears to fit a PHEV just right !.

Been there, done that !.
I see a PHEV as great bridge car, then onto a full EV.
Your plugging it in anyway, so why not a full BEV ?.
Yes. I went from Prius to plug in Prius, quickly followed by an Ioniq 28kWh. PHV gives you that initial peace of mind over range anxiety, but once you own a BEV, you realise it's range awareness, not anxiety. Best move I ever made. :)

Picked up the new car last night, garage didnt charge it left me with buttons.

Found a charger down the road, connected up at 6pm went to IKEA, about 50 mins later cars at nice 70% ..... AMAZING!
Hi again @stevenc152

After giving this more thought, can I ask 2 questions please....

What was the battery percentage when you collected the car?

What was the total mileage of the car at collection?

The reason I ask is the car will have been in storage either in China, on the ship and in UK at the port and dealer. It is detrimental to battery state of health(SOH) for it to be stored for any period of time with either a high or low state of charge(SOC). During the MG Podcast on 28th Feb it was stated that cars are(paraphrasing) stored at around half full to preserve battery health. If yours reached you with low mileage and a low SOC, say below 10% then this is obviously not the case.

As well as being inconvenient and annoying, depending on how long it was at a low SOC, it may also have caused a degradation to the battery's SOH. This may affect it's future capacity and so the maximum range of the car.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
So just spoken to the dealer, car is ready😀 MG will be issuing a software update in the near future because of issues with rapid charging so advised against rapid charging until the car has been updated with the fix. So don’t rapid charge until then everyone 👍

Hi again @stevenc152

The reason I ask is the car will have been in storage either in China, on the ship and in UK at the port and dealer. It is detrimental to battery state of health(SOH) for it to be stored for any period of time with either a high or low state of charge(SOC). During the MG Podcast on 28th Feb it was stated that cars are(paraphrasing) stored at around half full to preserve battery health. If yours reached you with low mileage and a low SOC, say below 10% then this is obviously not the case.

As well as being inconvenient and annoying, depending on how long it was at a low SOC, it may also have caused a degradation to the battery's SOH. This may affect it's future capacity and so the maximum range of the car.

Cheers
Good point. It might be worth asking for a battery state of health report.

So just spoken to the dealer, car is ready😀 MG will be issuing a software update in the near future because of issues with rapid charging so advised against rapid charging until the car has been updated with the fix. So don’t rapid charge until then everyone 👍

Doesnt help me much choice considering I'll be doing a 320 round trip next week!

Nevermind, nothing like a bit of living dangerously! Hopefully it'll be an OTA update..

Hi we had the same problem with a rapid charger last week when we collected it and was stuck 100 miles from garage and 100 miles from home. Got car back yesterday and MG technical said software update required and should be available in a few weeks. It’s to do with the rapid chargers and this model.
Picked up the new car last night, garage didnt charge it left me with buttons.

Found a charger down the road, connected up at 6pm went to IKEA, about 50 mins later cars at nice 70% ..... AMAZING!

Disconnects, puts all stuff away and turns the car on, control fault....

You kidding me, brand new, done 12 miles and the thing is bricked.... phoned the garage that gave me MG Recovery (AA) which came out tried everything and at 10.30pm at night decided to toe the car to the garage, since its late its in their compound and then to them first thing in the morning,

No my concern is this, what the **** if wrong with this especially brand new, now ive sold the other car to the other garage of thiers im now stuck, insurance changed , the lot.

Dont get me wrong the car is lovely just this is insane why the hell on 12 miles should it brick itself with no way to clear the code or system check.

If i can, its going back and its getting replaced with a tesla.

Good point. It might be worth asking for a battery state of health report.
The SOH for my car is ok, I will be going to collect the car shortly so will ask if it’s an over the air update or not, but my car is fully charged and balanced and showing 274 range

Attachments

• A20C76A5-E1C9-4BC9-9C29-8900EB155E41.png
    A20C76A5-E1C9-4BC9-9C29-8900EB155E41.png
    923.8 KB · Views: 110
Hearing these stories really makes me cringe, thinking of what you guys must have gone through.
I guess the silver lining about waiting for the car in June is that these kinks will be ironed out. It is a shame that it has to be at the expense of someone’s misfortune as MG should really have sorted these out in the pre production phase. Truly disgraceful.

I guess it's a little difficult to test a new model on UK chargers when you're based in China.

I'd love to know what the actual fault is, they clearly know if they're fixing it.
No not really. Not if your SAIC. plus here are third parties who can test out cars so not really a reason.
Also the cars that they will be selling to uk market needs to work with uk chargers. That’s just product development.

You'd think it wouldn't be beyond them to have someone in the UK check out the language in the UI either but it seems they don't opreate like that and could unactivate my order!

Hi again @stevenc152

Cheers
So we got the car with like 2 miles or something on clock and 20%

Turns out the idiots had faulty cable at garage and didn’t charge it.

So update on this

Flat bed delivered the car to the mg dealership who had a tech to look at it. I think it’s more fact they had to release breaking and stuff to roll it off

Gets it off the tech says the error that’s shown is the ecu can’t talk to the controller which lets you select gears and that’s stopping the cycle of the boot up stage.

Okay smashing what next? Oh we don’t know this is new car new system to us never seen this before … great…

Left them to have a look went for breakfast.

Got a phone call saying the techs were all looking at this because it’s new learnable and an odd issue.

One guy suggested changing the 12v battery and it worked everything came back alive.

Nobody knows what caused it but the 12v was fudgeed. Simple as that and no matter what they did in terms of cleaning codes etc fixed it but a new 12v did

So we get there they have it in charging. Gets to the car says to then it’s not charging. Everyone in their granny is outside now wondering what the fudge is going on with the car and the service of the branch.

Turns out the cable is faulty and it won’t charge. They tried another point and cable still no go then swapped cable and both points worked

Hurray! We can drive!

Branch manager offered to loan me the cable till Monday and get me one at cost price. Sorry no for the issues and suffering you put me in keeping it or ramming it up where the sun don’t shine. Not paying 200 quid for a cable where it was all ur doing and ur service.

End of rant. Sorry for swearing and a hello from scotland.

This could be connected to something I brought up on another thread, relating to the storage of batteries. The Lithium NMC batteries can stand quite long periods in storage with 40-70% charge, but the 12volt Lead Acid Battery if left in low state of charge start to form a layer of Sulpher on the plates and can never be fully recovered. I experienced this with my Toyota hybrid the 12volt battery is needed to boot up system without it its NO GO. If due to the IC shortage our EV cars have been standing long periods then time in transport this could explain problems.
There appears to have been a number of issues were disconnecting the 12volt battery leaving it 10-15 minutes and reconnecting has solved the problem, this may just allow the voltage to rise above a threashold.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom