So the New ZS EV 2022 summed up in 12 miles

stevenc152

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Picked up the new car last night, garage didnt charge it left me with buttons.

Found a charger down the road, connected up at 6pm went to IKEA, about 50 mins later cars at nice 70% ..... AMAZING!

Disconnects, puts all stuff away and turns the car on, control fault....

You kidding me, brand new, done 12 miles and the thing is bricked.... phoned the garage that gave me MG Recovery (AA) which came out tried everything and at 10.30pm at night decided to toe the car to the garage, since its late its in their compound and then to them first thing in the morning,

No my concern is this, what the **** if wrong with this especially brand new, now ive sold the other car to the other garage of thiers im now stuck, insurance changed , the lot.

Dont get me wrong the car is lovely just this is insane why the hell on 12 miles should it brick itself with no way to clear the code or system check.

If i can, its going back and its getting replaced with a tesla.

Oh no, sorry to read this. I am still waiting for mine. Does not inspire confidence in the brand. I wonder if its that its the 12 volt battery that needs charging, as it been sitting for a good few weeks? That is really poor that the dealer did not even charge the car for you. Hopefully its a quick fix, but I would be feeling exactly the same as you are. Keep us posted please.

Oh no, sorry to read this. I am still waiting for mine. Does not inspire confidence in the brand. I wonder if its that its the 12 volt battery that needs charging, as it been sitting for a good few weeks? That is really poor that the dealer did not even charge the car for you. Hopefully its a quick fix, but I would be feeling exactly the same as you are. Keep us posted please.
Apparently they forgot, this dealers been a rail ride and a half honestly, if it wasnt for the spec / price aspect and misses loves her mums petrol it wouldnt have been bought.

The guys tried pack charging and jump starting it, we could see on the console that it hit 13-14v instead of 11.8 to 12.1 so it had power to least turn over but they couldnt get the code cleared, im wondering if the code clear fixes it but what if this happens again, its a simple fix but nobody can do it??

More concerning thing im worried about is the damage, its black, they cleaned it and have swirls everywhere im going to have to take out which isnt easy to do and time consuming, they dragged it onto the flat bed so who knows if thats caused damage.

Waiting to see the damage caused when we get it back, never had a recovery thats not caused issues.

Apparently they forgot, this dealers been a rail ride and a half honestly, if it wasnt for the spec / price aspect and misses loves her mums petrol it wouldnt have been bought.

The guys tried pack charging and jump starting it, we could see on the console that it hit 13-14v instead of 11.8 to 12.1 so it had power to least turn over but they couldnt get the code cleared, im wondering if the code clear fixes it but what if this happens again, its a simple fix but nobody can do it??

More concerning thing im worried about is the damage, its black, they cleaned it and have swirls everywhere im going to have to take out which isnt easy to do and time consuming, they dragged it onto the flat bed so who knows if thats caused damage.

Waiting to see the damage caused when we get it back, never had a recovery thats not caused issues.
same happened to me last night so feel your pain

I totally understand both your anger and frustrations with the dealer !.
What sort of PDI has the car gone through, when it was not even charged before collection.
No much is the answer here !.
Sorry, but it simply not good enough really.
Had they have charged the car, then they may have discovered any issues ?.
If they “forgot” to charge it, then you have to question their ability to be able to provide the necessary fix !.
They should be able to contact the MG Tech Team and upload the data file from the car.
This will help them provide a course of action that the dealer can hopefully follow ?.
I was lucky that the dealer who supplied our Trophy had rapid on site.
Not my favoured means of charging a brand new battery, but at least I know the car accepted it okay without any issues, because it was charged to 98% on collection day.
It has now successfully charged up to 80% on two occasions from our home wall box okay.
There have been a couple of recorded incidents now of both the MG5 and the ZS EV “Locking Up” when certain rapid chargers are used.
They appear to be a bit “Fussy” on the make of unit used.
The SOC of the 12 volt battery has been mentioned of course, and clearing of the stored fault code has been the normal fix.
Also charging some owners are a little fearful of charging above 80% on a rapid also.
I agree it is NOT the start anybody wants after waiting for the car and then it letting you down on day one !.
I truly hope you get your car returned very quickly and ask them to provide a statement that explains way and why this incident occurred in the first place !.
Absolutely NOTHING is more important than being able to charge an electric car successfully without any issues !.
I mean really !.
Would you supply a brand new ICE car with two pints of petrol and no means of filling the tank 15 minutes later ?.
Just not good enough.
I would call the dealer and ask to speak to the head sales manger personally and ask him to produce the PDI check off sheet for your car, as you have serious misgivings that the checks have not been carried out in line with the manufactures laid down procedures.
Clearly there is a failing in the quality gate when preparing a car for collection, when it is totally disabled and needs reviving late at night, 15 minutes after it has left the dealership !.
It’s a great car when it’s working okay, but totally useless when it is stuck on the back of a recovery truck !.
Please keep us informed of your progress.

Similar situation ?.
After using a rapid - what type can I ask ?.
it was an osprey 50kw, one that i used successfully previously on 4 seperate ocasions i might add. MG need to find a way of preventing this happening, or at least a way to allow a reset without the car having to be hauled to the dealer!!!

I must admit hearing about these issues is a little worrying. I could do without the jeapordy when rapid charging. I have had mine since December with no issues, but I have only rapid charged it twice.

I think I'll be sticking with instavolt to be on the safe side...
i think there is more to it than a particular charge supplier

I totally understand both your anger and frustrations with the dealer !.
What sort of PDI has the car gone through, when it was not even charged before collection.
No much is the answer here !.
Sorry, but it simply not good enough really.
Had they have charged the car, then they may have discovered any issues ?.
If they “forgot” to charge it, then you have to question their ability to be able to provide the necessary fix !.
They should be able to contact the MG Tech Team and upload the data file from the car.
This will help them provide a course of action that the dealer can hopefully follow ?.
I was lucky that the dealer who supplied our Trophy had rapid on site.
Not my favoured means of charging a brand new battery, but at least I know the car accepted it okay without any issues, because it was charged to 98% on collection day.
It has now successfully charged up to 80% on two occasions from our home wall box okay.
There have been a couple of recorded incidents now of both the MG5 and the ZS EV “Locking Up” when certain rapid chargers are used.
They appear to be a bit “Fussy” on the make of unit used.
The SOC of the 12 volt battery has been mentioned of course, and clearing of the stored fault code has been the normal fix.
Also charging some owners are a little fearful of charging above 80% on a rapid also.
I agree it is NOT the start anybody wants after waiting for the car and then it letting you down on day one !.
I truly hope you get your car returned very quickly and ask them to provide a statement that explains way and why this incident occurred in the first place !.
Absolutely NOTHING is more important than being able to charge an electric car successfully without any issues !.
I mean really !.
Would you supply a brand new ICE car with two pints of petrol and no means of filling the tank 15 minutes later ?.
Just not good enough.
I would call the dealer and ask to speak to the head sales manger personally and ask him to produce the PDI check off sheet for your car, as you have serious misgivings that the checks have not been carried out in line with the manufactures laid down procedures.
Clearly there is a failing in the quality gate when preparing a car for collection, when it is totally disabled and needs reviving late at night, 15 minutes after it has left the dealership !.
It’s a great car when it’s working okay, but totally useless when it is stuck on the back of a recovery truck !.
Please keep us informed of your progress.
mine was fully charged to 95% when i collected it.

The charging process is obviously a key point in Ev ownership and thus should be seamless, I believe it must be some protocol issue when the car and the charger are communicating with each other. The process should be simple and stress free, and the same for all charge systems, I don’t want to be hesitant using any charger and we shouldn’t have to be, I don’t want it to be a case of you have to stand on one leg only hold the connector in your right hand and make sure your car is facing east, it needs to be plug it in start the charge… job done

Potentially, but it seems to occur more where the charger has failed in some way.
The failure mode prior to it happening was the communication between the charger and the car to start the charge, the charger worked for the car previous to me hooking up

The failure mode prior to it happening was the communication between the charger and the car to start the charge, the charger worked for the car previous to me hooking up

They need to have a way to clear the code by running diagnostics on the car itself to deem its safe other than waiting to clear the code, tried everything like getting it to try recharge etc with no luck at all.

The charging process is obviously a key point in Ev ownership and thus should be seamless, I believe it must be some protocol issue when the car and the charger are communicating with each other.
...... You would think so wouldn't you? Believe me, it's an absolute minefield of protocols across regions and manufacturers and there is as yet still not standardisation.

For example:

The OEM-EV (manufacturer to car) uses UN-155 & UN-156 in Europe, Proprietary protocols for each manufacturer in the US & Canada and again in China (with the addition of a connection to the government's backend as well).

Then there is the EV-EVSE (car to charge point) which uses a mix of IEC61851, ISO15118 & DIN70121 in Europe, SAE, ISO1518 & DIN70121 in the US & Canada and GB/T27930 & 1847 in China.

Next up, there is EVSE-Grid where Europe uses IEC61850, 62351 & EEBUS, the US & Canada use Goose, IEC61850 & IEEE802 and in China it's DL/T645, 860, Modbus & GB/T28847.5

Then we add in comms to CPOs (Charge Point Operators), the MSPs (Mobility Service Providers - e.g. Octopus, BONNET etc.), the Grid to DSO (Distribution Service Operator) each one using different protocols around the world and to be honest, it's a bloody miracle that anything works at all !!

Have MG themselves been made aware? You would hope dealers are passing it on but if only a few are seeing one car do it they might just be "fixing" it by clearing the code and not bothering to let MG themselves know.

Would be ideal if those of us that have to wait could have a fix by the time our cars finally arrive...

This seems to be an ongoing problem.
Is there some new or different sequence to follow when charging the new ZS ?
The Kia Soul is looking more and more attractive to me, as a replacement next for my gen 1, as I hear these horror stories with the new ZS. 😟

Have MG themselves been made aware? You would hope dealers are passing it on but if only a few are seeing one car do it they might just be "fixing" it by clearing the code and not bothering to let MG themselves know.

Would be ideal if those of us that have to wait could have a fix by the time our cars finally arrive...

Oh ive let them know its being offloaded at their front door and being told to fix it, ive passed it on the the head office guys and the higher ups from arnold clark to fix today because this is not acceptable.

There's obviously more than one failure mode, the ones I've read are;

- Car plugged in, charger failed to start- tried to move to other charger, HV shut off

- Car finished charging (where was the stop charge initiated, car or charger?) released cable, doesn't start, HV shut off.

There's probably more, that's off the top of my head. Basically by only using known good chargers you're mitigating against the first failure mode, although not removing the risk entirely.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom