if you ever wonder what is the REAL range of 100%-0% in the SR ... you'll be surprised by this experiment.

halogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR

ok so this video was done by a group of friends, we decided to squeeze every % of the 51kwh capacity.
we drove from Jakarta to Semarang city.
city to city is about 460km.
because the broschure said our SR WLTP range is about 425km, so we decided to start from the closest public charger to end point of about 420km.
of course we have backup plans with precalling a towing company and guesstimate where we would end up with 0% soc and a brick car.

anyways. sorry the video is in indonesian, but u can turn on auto translate the subtitles.

keypoints of how we did the test.
we drove constant at a range of 60kmh, 70kmh and 80kmh and no more.
we try to only bring the acceleration power to maximum of 20.
and we kinda switch off the ac, and only switch it on when we felt kinda hot inside the car.. indonesia is a tropical country with average of 32-35degrees celcius btw.

keypoints what happens when we hit 0% soc.

everything seems normal, ac was fine, we still have power we could still drove to about 40kmh but we were cautious because we didnt know if the car can die any minute.
after driving 20+km after the soc in mid says 0%... then we felt loss of power.. but we could still drive it..just loss of power.
then at its last breath, the compressor of the AC died, but i think the interior and mid lights are powered by the 12v so its still turned on.
and then the car total loss of power but we can still drive it safely to the side, power steering was also light i think its also powered by the 12v battery..so its still safe to make a slow pull over.

one final note.
when we towed the car to the public charger. we were surprised that our battery though the broschure said its 51kwh. and usable battery was only 50kwh or something. when we charged it to 99%.. the public charger stated that it consumed 53.46kwh! not 50 usable or 51. and its only up to 99% and the charger stopped we dont know why so if its 100% im guessing its a 54 kwh battery.

final results of 100%-0% range test.
average speed of 60kmh
total of 442KM which is 17km more that whats listed in the broschure
total battery capacity of the SR is NOT 51kwh but actually is 54kwh

this is such a surprise to be honest..
anyways i hope you enjoy the video. and let me know what you think.
cheers.

Attachments

• 53kwh.png
    53kwh.png
    507.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2023-11-23 211534.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-23 211534.png
    426.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2023-11-23 211240.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-23 211240.png
    515 KB · Views: 73
Yes, the extra KWh are your charging losses. It doesn't all go into the battery, some is wasted as heat.

276 miles seems quite incredible! For comparison, my SR has just charged up to 100% and the range shown on the app is 166 miles. This is in cold wet weather in Scotland, driving on normal roads, with the heating on quite high. Demonstrates what a huge difference temperature (and of course driving style) makes.

Thank you for doing this. I have seen videos where EVs were driven to empty and often there was some range once the car was nominally at zero, and some manoeuverability even after the car had lost most of its power. There is a video of this with the MG4 LR, in which it drove for 15 miles past "empty". However that's a different kind of battery and I wasn't sure if the SR would behave the same way. I have also seen videos where cars suddenly reduced their range estimate when they were getting close to zero, leaving their drivers in trouble, and then lost power very quickly. I would not like to have that happen to me.

So your test has shown that the MG4 SR is not likely to lose power so quickly that you don't have any chance to get to a charger. (Or even to an electrical socket.) Very reassuring.

By the way, did you happen to notice if the green bar that shows the state of charge in the central screen changed colour at all during your drive?

Last edited:
Yes, the extra KWh are your charging losses. It doesn't all go into the battery, some is wasted as heat.

276 miles seems quite incredible! For comparison, my SR has just charged up to 100% and the range shown on the app is 166 miles. This is in cold wet weather in Scotland, driving on normal roads, with the heating on quite high. Demonstrates what a huge difference temperature (and of course driving style) makes.

Thank you for doing this. I have seen videos where EVs were driven to empty and often there was some range once the car was nominally at zero, and some manoeuverability even after the car had lost most of its power. There is a video of this with the MG4 LR, in which it drove for 15 miles past "empty". However that's a different kind of battery and I wasn't sure if the SR would behave the same way. I have also seen videos where cars suddenly reduced their range estimate when they were getting close to zero, leaving their drivers in trouble, and then lost power very quickly. I would not like to have that happen to me.

So your test has shown that the MG4 SR is not likely to lose power so quickly that you don't have any chance to get to a charger. (Or even to an electrical socket.) Very reassuring.

By the way, did you happen to notice if the green bar that shows the state of charge in the central screen changed colour at all during your drive?
Yes I think the LFP chemistry characteristic is somewhat flat. 100% or 0% the power output is the same. I read that somewhere.
Yes the mid indikator was green at 100% I think it turned orange in the middle and then <20%soc it was red.

I watched the whole video now and really enjoyed it. You were having such fun! I really like that interior, much brighter than my car, but of course your one is Trophy trim.

The distance is even more impressive considering you had four - er- chunky - guys in the car, and a boot full of luggage. The car was carrying a lot of weight. Imagine how much further it could have gone if you'd got a slim girl to drive it, with no passengers or luggage!

I saw the SoC display change colour, it seems to be behaving correctly in your car. In all the cars in Britain (at least) the display stays green until it gets to 5%, then goes amber. Nobody has ever seen red. Except, occasionally, the display turns amber at any state of charge, at random (I have seen it at 100%), then flips back to green quite quickly.

I'm trying to find out what % figures it's supposed to change at. You think 50% and 20%? Someone with an MG5 (I think) said 50% and 10%, as far as I remember. Just another annoying bug in the software it would cost them nothing to fix. But people in Britain have to complain about it.

Another point about battery management. You said quite correctly that charging rate on a DC charger falls of quite steeply over 80% so it's often not worth waiting for that extra 20% when you're on a rapid charger, which is quite right. But unlike the NMC batteries (the LR and ER) the SR can be taken to 100% any time you like without fear of damage. You don't need to avoid that top 20% for day to day driving. Indeed, when charging at a constant rate on an AC charger it should be routine to take it to 100% and then let it balance.

Similarly, and this is what alerted me to a possible misunderstanding, you said that the bottom 20% should be avoided. That's not the case in the SR, you have the entire range available any time without fear of battery degradation. You might want to avoid going below 20% for fear of running out of charge, but there's no other reason to avoid it.

I can concur that DC rapid charging is about 95% efficient (from my charging records), on the assumption that the usable battery is 50.8 kWh per the specifications.

When you were rapid charging, was the car switched on and were you using the AC?

ok so this video was done by a group of friends, we decided to squeeze every % of the 51kwh capacity.
we drove from Jakarta to Semarang city.
city to city is about 460km.
because the broschure said our SR WLTP range is about 425km, so we decided to start from the closest public charger to end point of about 420km.
of course we have backup plans with precalling a towing company and guesstimate where we would end up with 0% soc and a brick car.

anyways. sorry the video is in indonesian, but u can turn on auto translate the subtitles.

keypoints of how we did the test.
we drove constant at a range of 60kmh, 70kmh and 80kmh and no more.
we try to only bring the acceleration power to maximum of 20.
and we kinda switch off the ac, and only switch it on when we felt kinda hot inside the car.. indonesia is a tropical country with average of 32-35degrees celcius btw.

keypoints what happens when we hit 0% soc.

everything seems normal, ac was fine, we still have power we could still drove to about 40kmh but we were cautious because we didnt know if the car can die any minute.
after driving 20+km after the soc in mid says 0%... then we felt loss of power.. but we could still drive it..just loss of power.
then at its last breath, the compressor of the AC died, but i think the interior and mid lights are powered by the 12v so its still turned on.
and then the car total loss of power but we can still drive it safely to the side, power steering was also light i think its also powered by the 12v battery..so its still safe to make a slow pull over.

one final note.
when we towed the car to the public charger. we were surprised that our battery though the broschure said its 51kwh. and usable battery was only 50kwh or something. when we charged it to 99%.. the public charger stated that it consumed 53.46kwh! not 50 usable or 51. and its only up to 99% and the charger stopped we dont know why so if its 100% im guessing its a 54 kwh battery.

final results of 100%-0% range test.
average speed of 60kmh
total of 442KM which is 17km more that whats listed in the broschure
total battery capacity of the SR is NOT 51kwh but actually is 54kwh

this is such a surprise to be honest..
anyways i hope you enjoy the video. and let me know what you think.
cheers.

You said you towed the car,

The manual states:

DO NOT tow the vehicle with any of the driven wheels in contact with the road surface, this will avoid electric drive transmission damage. When it is necessary to temporarily push or tow the vehicle from a dangerous situation or onto the transporter, the speed must remain below 3 mph and be completed within 3 minutes.

It's OK. When you watch the video you see it was only towed up on to a low loader. It was driven to the charger on the low loader. The conditions you list were indeed met. (Remember, the OP's first language is not English, although he's obviously pretty fluent.)

Mathematically this does not make sense. With 14.2kWh/100km average efficiency and 442 kilometers driven equals to a 62kWh battery, which is long range, not standard.

The car is a Trophy, but there are Trophy-spec cars in that part of the world with SR LFP batteries. And if he charged up from zero to 100% and only put 53.5 KWh into the car, that is a 51 Kw battery.

He's quoting a 265-mile WLPT range, which is closer to the 270-mile range claimed for the Trophy LR, but it's entirely possible that a longer range could be quoted for the SR battery in such a warm climate, and at a constant speed. But having said that, the Trophy trim takes about ten miles of range off, and the SR with the SE trim is only quoted as 218 miles range.

I don't know. It does seem odd.

Very surprised that it had 12 miles of range below zero, that would equate to around 2 kWh :oops:

I ran mine from 100% down to zero back in the summer and got just over 200 miles IIRC, bailed out just a few minutes past zero as I was near home and didn't have the plums to push it further😊

I think the car was displaying 4.2 miles per kWh for the charge which would be 210 miles on 50 kWh or so before grinding to a halt, could make sense I guess 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
I can concur that DC rapid charging is about 95% efficient (from my charging records), on the assumption that the usable battery is 50.8 kWh per the specifications.

When you were rapid charging, was the car switched on and were you using the AC?
the car was a piece of brick haha.. it had no charge.

Mathematically this does not make sense. With 14.2kWh/100km average efficiency and 442 kilometers driven equals to a 62kWh battery, which is long range, not standard.
this was a puzzle for us too. when we saw tthe final numbers, we thought this was a LR... but after the final charge, total charge was 53.5kwh, which bust our doubt this is really a 51kwh battery.
yes i think the mid efficiency is somewhat misleading, but if i were to quote Mgs brochure of wltp up to 425km, they are not just pulling out numbers out of a hat.
if i were to calculate the efficiency of that night. it would be 8.66km/kwh.

The test proves MG official figure of efficiency is modest. I think charging loss is about 10%. Official battery size should be correct. Extra miles are squeezed out from un-usable capacity.

My average efficency is 4.0 miles/kWh (6.4km/kWh or 15.5kWh/100km) with ZS LR in London for 8 months of driving. I could still achieve 4.0 miles/kWh with 12°C in November when I was very careful with heater usage for demist only. Efficient could reach between 4.5 to 5.5 easily on my regular trip to office in summer.

It is no surprise to me that MG4 SE is more efficiency than ZS LR because of size and weight. Official WLTP range can be easily exceeded with slower driving speed.

The test proves MG official figure of efficiency is modest. I think charging loss is about 10%. Official battery size should be correct. Extra miles are squeezed out from un-usable capacity.

My average efficency is 4.0 miles/kWh (6.4km/kWh or 15.5kWh/100km) with ZS LR in London for 8 months of driving. I could still achieve 4.0 miles/kWh with 12°C in November when I was very careful with heater usage for demist only. Efficient could reach between 4.5 to 5.5 easily on my regular trip to office in summer.

It is no surprise to me that MG4 SE is more efficiency than ZS LR because of size and weight. Official WLTP range can be easily exceeded with slower driving speed
don't mind me asking, what and how many kWh battery is ur zs? nmc or lfp, whats the brochure wltp range says?

Last edited by a moderator:
don't mind me asking, what and how many kWh battery is ur zs? nmc or lfp, whats the brochure wltp range says?
My UK 23 Reg ZS LR is with 72. 6kWh battery. I have no idea about battery type. Official WLTP is 273 miles. My meter estimated 351 miles range, short from official max 370 miles city range.

Thanks for the interesting experiment. Maybe I should enjoy luxury more instead of checking efficiency.

You should probably find out which battery type you have, as that will affect how the battery likes to be charged up. I would guess it's an NMC though.

You should probably find out which battery type you have, as that will affect how the battery likes to be charged up. I would guess it's an NMC though.
I did not find any official record of battery type.
I did some research. I understood my battery should last 20-30 years with weekly or fortnightly charging whatever the battery type.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back