EV savings over petrol/diesel

MonsterMonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We've just completed our first year in 5LR at 20k with home charging (Ohme Pro with Bulb EV) showing £759 plus guesstimate rapid charging of about £100.

This distance in our old diesel would have been about £3k at 50mpg and £1.60/l.

This makes for about £2k saving on fuel.

I ran a spreadsheet on my charging cost for the first year and after 7200 miles my average cost was £0.10 per mile not bad.

There’s no doubt that there’s a big saving still over an ICE - as long as you have home charging and you’re on a decent tariff.
I’ve said before that I wouldn’t recommend an EV at the moment, unless you have home or cheap charging at work for example.
If you have to pay rapid public charger prices you make no savings at the current rates, indeed you might pay more than an economical ICE.

There’s no doubt that there’s a big saving still over an ICE - as long as you have home charging and you’re on a decent tariff.
I’ve said before that I wouldn’t recommend an EV at the moment, unless you have home or cheap charging at work for example.
If you have to pay rapid public charger prices you make no savings at the current rates, indeed you might pay more than an economical ICE.
Ah, but EVs are so much fun to drive and enjoy.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom