• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

EV Watchdog for MG EV

Watchdog

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello to the community.

I'm Daniel, the developer of the PHEV and EV Watchdog Apps.

These are OBD2 monitoring apps which will display live data from the OBD2 interface as well as calculate instant and long term stats keeping record of all trips and battery condition changes.

More info in the EV Watchdog website: EV Watchdog net

I've started with the PHEV Watchdog App in 2018 which now supports supports all phevs from Kia/Hyundai and Mitsubishi's Outlander PHEV.
Then I was ask to add support for the Kia/Hyundai models, so I create a separate App for that, the EV Watchdog.

Both Apps are available on the playstore (Android only) as totally functional free version (ad based) and a premium one which adds more features.

Now I've been asked to add support for the MG EV cars which it seems there's been some good development around the OBD2 interface.

I've checked and from the known and available info I think I could make it work but I'll still need someone available to log some OBD2 commands for me.

So anyone with an OBD2 adapter which would be interested to help?

Thank you.

I think you'll get lots of offers, having looked at the posts in this section of the forum ;)

I think you'll get lots of offers, having looked at the posts in this section of the forum ;)

Thanks, I've managed to found someone with an MG ZS EV outside of the forum so that should be enough to start.

I let you know about the developments, hopefuly it will not take much time do add full suport for the ZS EV.

do you think it can also work wits ovms?

Hello Marc. Not to meant to work with OVMS.

It just needs a compatible OBD2 adapter (see the list on the website) and an Android phone 4.1+

The App is really a complete package. Not only for live data monitoring but for long-term analysis. It also produces a lot of stats from the observed data that is not available in the OBD2 interface.

Here's the screen layout of the free version:
dog_net_13.jpg

Each live data session is stored as a trip in a list where you can check a complete list of stats:
dog_net_03.jpg

The same happes with the battery condition, the App will keep track of any observed SoH change:
dog_net_02.jpg

And of course with the premium version you'll get extended features like graphical interface, charts, nearby chargin stations, data file logging (csv) and the hability to sync data to the webserver and from there you'll access more stats and analysis.

Will this include the MG5 too?

Not having one I rely on the effort of the community and that's why I always offer a fully functional version of the App at no cost.

Some data is mandatory in order for the App to work like being able to read the vin number, odometer, speed, SoH, SoC, current/power.

At this moment the MG ZS EV seems to be very well documented while the MG 5 seems not.

So my effort now will be to add support for the ZS and hopefully support the 5 later.

Hi Daniel - having tried your app for my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, I am VERY interested in your work for the ZS EV and waiting with baited breath. :cool:

Thank you for all of your efforts and I look forward to paying for the app when you release it.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi Daniel,
Drop me a shout if you need a list of all the PIDs we currently know from the car. We have an active slack group too (see my signature) where we are reverse engineering and developing OVMS support.

MG5 knowledge is a little behind currently but we already know quite a few PIDs which I can also share.

Cheers
Mike

H
Hi Daniel,
Drop me a shout if you need a list of all the PIDs we currently know from the car. We have an active slack group too (see my signature) where we are reverse engineering and developing OVMS support.

MG5 knowledge is a little behind currently but we already know quite a few PIDs which I can also share.

Cheers
Mike
hey Mike any news from the OVMS team?
I will receive my fasttech package tomorrow I believe. Can’t wait to hook it up with ABRP

Hello Marc. Not to meant to work with OVMS.

It just needs a compatible OBD2 adapter (see the list on the website) and an Android phone 4.1+

The App is really a complete package. Not only for live data monitoring but for long-term analysis. It also produces a lot of stats from the observed data that is not available in the OBD2 interface.

Here's the screen layout of the free version:
View attachment 3421

Each live data session is stored as a trip in a list where you can check a complete list of stats:
View attachment 3422

The same happes with the battery condition, the App will keep track of any observed SoH change:
View attachment 3423

And of course with the premium version you'll get extended features like graphical interface, charts, nearby chargin stations, data file logging (csv) and the hability to sync data to the webserver and from there you'll access more stats and analysis.
Good work. I understand there is Only an Android app and no IOS?

A little update...

With the help of a forum member I was able to get my hands on some OBD2 logging and from there I've began modifying the App to support this commands.

Here's the look of it at the moment:
dog_net_51.jpg

I'm missing some data for the layout - marked red, left to right, top to bottom:

Cells Screen (leftmost one):
  • charging counters: AC/DC total, DC/DC total, usage total (charged+discharged).
  • Stationary total, Actual difference (these are in fact inferred from the charging counters above)
  • Min/Max battery and Inlet temperature

Battery Screen (second one from the left):
  • Max Power In available, Max Power Out available (I think this one is actually available).

Main Screen (third one from the left)
  • Wheels torque - this is actually an inferred field, but I need to know the motor's gear ratio to calculate the estimated torque

In short:
  • Charging counters would be nice, but can't seem to find them in the documentation.
  • For Min/Max battery and Inlet Temperature I think I'll need to adapt as the MG ZS reports different types of temperatures (battery, coolant, cmu's).
  • I might have to drop Max Power In/Out available and stick only with observed.
  • Need to find the gear ratio for the motor...
  • Another thing, strangely max voltage cell id seems to return always 255 (0xFF)...
Not sure what this means if it's needs anykind o

If anyone knows something about any of this please let know :D

Still I would say these are not mandatory fields and so I would say I will add support for MG ZS EV on the next release of the App (although still experimentally which means some features might not work well or at all).

So good news.

A little update...

With the help of a forum member I was able to get my hands on some OBD2 logging and from there I've began modifying the App to support this commands.

Here's the look of it at the moment:
View attachment 4040

I'm missing some data for the layout - marked red, left to right, top to bottom:

Cells Screen (leftmost one):
  • charging counters: AC/DC total, DC/DC total, usage total (charged+discharged).
  • Stationary total, Actual difference (these are in fact inferred from the charging counters above)
  • Min/Max battery and Inlet temperature

Battery Screen (second one from the left):
  • Max Power In available, Max Power Out available (I think this one is actually available).

Main Screen (third one from the left)
  • Wheels torque - this is actually an inferred field, but I need to know the motor's gear ratio to calculate the estimated torque

In short:
  • Charging counters would be nice, but can't seem to find them in the documentation.
  • For Min/Max battery and Inlet Temperature I think I'll need to adapt as the MG ZS reports different types of temperatures (battery, coolant, cmu's).
  • I might have to drop Max Power In/Out available and stick only with observed.
  • Need to find the gear ratio for the motor...
  • Another thing, strangely max voltage cell id seems to return always 255 (0xFF)...
Not sure what this means if it's needs anykind o

If anyone knows something about any of this please let know :D

Still I would say these are not mandatory fields and so I would say I will add support for MG ZS EV on the next release of the App (although still experimentally which means some features might not work well or at all).

So good news.
Very impressive! That's way more data than what we've got in the Outlander app. :cool:

Can't wait for the release! Well done Watchdog (y)

Cheers

Bloggsy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom