EVs in popular culture ... where are they?

Tommy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of mention of EVs in popular culture, films, TV, books, music, etc. I don't actually watch that much TV, so it may have passed me by, but the only reference to EVs I can think of in recent memory was in the recent series of Vigil - and that was used as an insult against the main character :rolleyes:

Can be seen at 1:45 if you want to skip ahead ;)

Last edited:
Let's see... (takes deep breath)
  • GM EV1 shown charging in "For All Mankind" season 2.
  • Renault Megane e-Tech in the latest series of Shetland.
  • EVERY car except Crowley's Bentley in Good Omens season 2.
  • In Netflix's "Bodies", there's a Megane e-Tech in the "present" scenes and a concept Scenic e-Tech in the "Future" scenes
  • In "Red Notice", the Rock drives a Porsche Taycan
  • EVERY car in "The World's End" (Cornetto Trilogy) was a Vauxhall Ampera
  • Spiderman: No Way Home had an Ioniq 5
  • Avengers: Endgame - Stark drives an e-Tron to the funeral
  • The 2009 remake of "The Italian Job" used prototype electric Minis, for safety reasons
  • There's a Renault Kangoo (and Zappi charger) regularly seen on Emmerdale
  • A Nissan Ariya in Gran Turismo
  • Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps has a Tesla Roadster
For more, try searching The Internet Movie Cars Database

Let's see... (takes deep breath)
  • GM EV1 shown charging in "For All Mankind" season 2.
  • Renault Megane e-Tech in the latest series of Shetland.
  • EVERY car except Crowley's Bentley in Good Omens season 2.
  • In Netflix's "Bodies", there's a Megane e-Tech in the "present" scenes and a concept Scenic e-Tech in the "Future" scenes
  • In "Red Notice", the Rock drives a Porsche Taycan
  • EVERY car in "The World's End" (Cornetto Trilogy) was a Vauxhall Ampera
  • Spiderman: No Way Home had an Ioniq 5
  • Avengers: Endgame - Stark drives an e-Tron to the funeral
  • The 2009 remake of "The Italian Job" used prototype electric Minis, for safety reasons
  • There's a Renault Kangoo (and Zappi charger) regularly seen on Emmerdale
  • A Nissan Ariya in Gran Turismo
  • Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps has a Tesla Roadster
For more, try searching The Internet Movie Cars Database
Just me then :ROFLMAO: ... guess I don't watch enough TV !

I was reading the sixth in a fantasy series about a group of people in present-day Britain with special powers derived from and bringing them close to nature. The author tells us what sort of car everyone drives. Our hero has an old Land Rover he managed to rescue and restore after it was completely submerged in an earlier adventure. His girlfriend has a Toyota. Others have a Fiesta and a Honda. Not a single EV among them. It was only reading this installment (published a couple of months ago) after having got my EV that I started wondering why such an eco-aware group of people isn't even thinking about the CO2 they're spewing out. Our hero has a particular affinity for trees, too.

I don't think it has even occurred to the author. I don't think EVs are even on her radar. Our hero does dash off across the country in the "Landy" and in the most recent book he was saved because he was driving it - comment that he'd have been toast if he'd been in a Fiesta. How would they cope if they were having to watch their range, and couldn't fill up in five minutes? What would Dan drive if he gave up diesel?

I don't know, but it would be interesting to work it in, and it's something that will have to be faced eventually.

What were the power plants in the futuristic cars from UFO ? and when Jimmy Bond (Roger Moore ) drove his Lotus off the pier into the briney he must have had some batteries in there, are we allowing hybrids?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom