EVs in popular culture ... where are they?

I don't know about popular culture, but this was one of tonight's translation exercises on Duolingo.

1706647794640.png

Are you learning Gaelic?

If you like folk music then you may wish to look up Barluath who sing a lot of their stuff in Gaelic. :)

I’m a little surprised no one has mentioned the DeLorean from the Back To The Future.

While made up, the car required a Flux Capacitor for travel in time, powered by fission (plutonium) in BTTF I (lightning in 1955) and fusion in BTTF II (Mr Fusion reactor). Time travel required, according to Doc “one point twenty one jigowatts” presumably 1.21 gigawatts of electricity.

Clearly this is a PHEV as in BTTF III it’s made clear that the care still has an ICE to move in space under its own power but time travel is 100% electric.

In the same genre, another doctor travels through time and space in a vehicle that looks like a sixties vintage Police box on the outside powered by electronic equipment and the energy from a black hole vortex on the inside. Doctor Who premiered in 1963 making the TARDIS perhaps the first mainstream EV. Bad Wolf.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice King Charles rolling up outside the clinic in an EV on the news? They'd pixelated the number plate, but it had a green stripe at the front. Good on ya, Charlie. :)
I wonder if he has a few solar panels on the roof to help charge it.

Let's face it, the gaff is big enough :cool:

I’m a little surprised no one has mentioned the DeLorean from the Back To The Future.

While made up, the car required a Flux Capacitor for travel in time, powered by fission (plutonium) in BTTF I (lightning in 1955) and fusion in BTTF II (Mr Fusion reactor). Time travel required, according to Doc “one point twenty one jigowatts” presumably 1.21 gigawatts of electricity.

Clearly this is a PHEV as in BTTF III it’s made clear that the care still has an ICE to move in space under its own power but time travel is 100% electric.

In the same genre, another doctor travels through time and space in a vehicle that looks like a sixties vintage Police box on the outside powered by electronic equipment and the energy from a black hole vortex on the inside. Doctor Who premiered in 1963 making the TARDIS perhaps the first mainstream EV. Bad Wolf.
Yes but who invented it? Doc was obviously struggling to get it working until Marty arrived from the future so Doc could see how to do it. So it wasn't invented by Doc, was invented by time travel?

Virually all sci-fi future films have modes of transport that are not ICE based with no clue as to how? Perhaps we have to build the FCC 1st

I was reading an SF novel set in the future on another planet, and for most of the book I was thinking, this could just be a cops and robbers story set maybe in 1930s America for all the SF that's in it.

Then the cops turned off the over-the-air broadcast electric power that was powering all vehicles to trap the hero where he was, and I thought, now you're talking. (Of course the cop cars should have had independent onboard emergency power supplies, but they hadn't. I suppose the story wouldn't have worked if they'd had that.)

I was reading an SF novel set in the future on another planet, and for most of the book I was thinking, this could just be a cops and robbers story set maybe in 1930s America for all the SF that's in it.

Then the cops turned off the over-the-air broadcast electric power that was powering all vehicles to trap the hero where he was, and I thought, now you're talking. (Of course the cop cars should have had independent onboard emergency power supplies, but they hadn't. I suppose the story wouldn't have worked if they'd had that.)
Was that a particularly unpopular Law Keeper’s Application on that planet by any chance 😱

There are other options to ICE of course. How about steam, using eco pellets to fuel it of course.

Some time ago gas turbines were tried without success. Perhaps things have advanced enough to have another go as they can run on a wide range of fuels.

There are other options to ICE of course. How about steam, using eco pellets to fuel it of course.

Some time ago gas turbines were tried without success. Perhaps things have advanced enough to have another go as they can run on a wide range of fuels.
They'd have to work on making it quieter

"Micro" gas turbines were part of the original concept of the Jaguar C-X75, to be used as range extenders for the 4 hub motors.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom