MG4 Exceeding Potential Range

RhysG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So, after a 96 mile journey along B-roads mostly, I had 191 miles still potentially available if I continued to drive in the same manner. This is the MG4 SE Long Range which is advertised as having a maximum potential range of 281 miles. This seems to suggest a potential range of 287 miles. While driving at one point it was nearer 296 (but couldn't take photo while driving). Economy = 4.7 mls/kwh.

Temperature was about 8 Celsius during the journey.

So why would MG undersell the potential range? Or is there something else going on here?
20230213_171428.jpg

So, after a 96 mile journey along B-roads mostly, I had 191 miles still potentially available if I continued to drive in the same manner. This is the MG4 SE Long Range which is advertised as having a maximum potential range of 281 miles. This seems to suggest a potential range of 287 miles. While driving at one point it was nearer 296 (but couldn't take photo while driving). Economy = 4.7 mls/kwh.

So why would MG undersell the potential range? Or is there something else going on here?View attachment 15308
The advertised range is based on a set criteria of driving styles and situations to create a level playing field across manufacturers.

If you drive more economically than the test you'll get more mi/kWh and if you drive less economically the inverse will happen.

Same as of you stick purely to nice straight flat A roads with no traffic you'll do infinitely better than bombing it down the motorway at 75

So why would MG undersell the potential range? Or is there something else going on here?
Just wait until the summer you should get over 300 miles.

So why would MG undersell the potential range? Or is there something else going on here?View attachment 15308
Try it in sub-zero temperatures at motorway speeds and then say if the range has been ‘undersold’.

Try it in sub-zero temperatures at motorway speeds and then say if the range has been ‘undersold’.
Indeed. In the worst weather in January I was not confident pushing my SE standard past 130 miles on a full charge, felt somewhat oversold in those circumstances.
That's the nature of the EV beast though.

Biggest factors affecting range are speed, gradients, amount of acceleration/braking, temperature, wind and heater use (passenger and battery).

So if you maintain a constant 50mph on a flat road on a windless day in summer you'll see amazing range.

Stop/start traffic in winter, hilly terrain, headwinds, motorways and a heavy right foot are range's enemy.

The advertised range is based on a set criteria of driving styles and situations to create a level playing field across manufacturers.

If you drive more economically than the test you'll get more mi/kWh and if you drive less economically the inverse will happen.

Same as of you stick purely to nice straight flat A roads with no traffic you'll do infinitely better than bombing it down the motorway at 75
Across manufacturers and across the World.

Biggest factors affecting range are speed, gradients, amount of acceleration/braking, temperature, wind and heater use (passenger and battery).

So if you maintain a constant 50mph on a flat road on a windless day in summer you'll see amazing range.

Stop/start traffic in winter, hilly terrain, headwinds, motorways and a heavy right foot are range's enemy.
Very much depends on the regeneration setting. Using 3 in towns and careful acceleration can be better than constant speed and no regeneration. But you are perfectly correct. Cold temperature killer range.

Indeed, I have done so (and posted about it previously). M4 motorway (regular and constant 65-75mph) from Swansea to Bristol airport and back (about 200 miles) at -4 Celsius. Started with 100% charge. I only had 30 miles left on returning home.

Very much depends on the regeneration setting. Using 3 in towns and careful acceleration can be better than constant speed and no regeneration. But you are perfectly correct. Cold temperature killer range.
That's interesting, you are the first person I have seen talking about good town range, but maybe that's because most of it so far (with the MG4) has been during winter?

Indeed, I have done so (and posted about it previously). M4 motorway (regular and constant 65-75mph) from Swansea to Bristol airport and back (about 200 miles) at -4 Celsius. Started with 100% charge. I only had 30 miles left on returning home.
I haven’t seen that. What was your miles/kWh and average speed for the journey?

I haven’t seen that. What was your miles/kWh and average speed for the journey?
Is possible if you heat the battery while plugged in and preheat the cabin while plugged in.

But obviously all were doing there is shifting the loses due to cold temperature as we're still using power just happens to be from the grid opposed to the battery.

Akin to warming your car up and topping the fuel tank up at the petrol station at the same time 🤣

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back