Excite or Exclusive?

P6cat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’m looking at the ZS EV but need to know what people think I should go for?
I’ve found an white excite for £19500 pre RPG 20 plate with 100 miles or an exclusive 70 plate in blue with 500 miles for £21500

I’ve found an white excite for £19500 pre RPG 20 plate with 100 miles or an exclusive 70 plate in blue with 500 miles for £21500
If affordable I'd go with the exclusive, it's so much nicer. I suspect the resale value will hold up better too over time.

Edit: Blue is obviously the best colour as well ;)

As others have said you do get a lot more for your money with the Exclusive. The big sunroof on its own is brilliant . Residual values should be better on the Exclusive too. If you can stretch to it I would recommend spending the extra. New Exclusives can still be picked up for under £23k on Autotrader.

The Exclusive comes with much more kit and feels much more upmarket than the Excite. Of the kit, the sunroof makes the biggest difference to the cabin ambience.
If you can afford to buy the Exclusive get it, you won't regret it.

Below is all of the extra kit you get with the Exclusive;

Heated seats
Drivers electric seat
Reversing camera
Electrically folding door mirrors
2 extra speakers and 3D sound
Blind Spot Detection
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Panoramic opening sunroof
Fake leather seat,
Silver roof rails
The aircon has an odour and pollutant filter

Buy an e golf , better residuals better customer service no bms issues
I like the golf, but residuals don't appear that good, range is poor, customer service can be appalling at some VW dealers, our local one hated EV's when I test drove the Golf a couple of years back!

Glad to hear there are no BMS issues, shame the ID3 has such crappy software!

Buy an e golf , better residuals better customer service no bms issues
Although I agree that the e.Golf is a very good car that may not have the BMS issues.
But VW are really struggling to get a handle on the software on the ID models though.
EV's are extremely "Software" dependant as I am sure everybody understands.
Tesla has the leading edge in this department.
You will be extremely lucky to find a VW dealer who is remotely interested in selling you an electric car.
Trust me I know, I gave up after many attempts.
I have owned many new VW's but when it comes to electric, they are NOT interested in the least !.

All been said really.
No brainer - exclusive !.
Just run through the list kindly provided by @SCB86 and then quickly assign a value ( in money terms ) to each of these extras.
Then tell me what is the best value for money ?.
The full electric pan sun roof ALONE must be over £1,000 as an extra ( which OBTW you can NOT spec on any other ZS ).
Do I need to continue ?.
Thought not !.

I have to defend the Excite 😁 , mine is a red one it's down to personal choice but 100% I did not want a sunroof or fake leather seats it maybe down to working as a vehicle technician for 30 years and having repaired quite a few sunroofs , targa tops and cabriolets for water leaks , fitment issue's and noise issues the Excite for me was the better choice and I much prefer as my wife does also cloth seats . The only thing I wish I had from the exclusive is heated door mirrors 🙁 the wiring maybe already there so might be able to solve that easily with replacement mirror glass . Again personal choice I think the ZS Looks better without roof bars and I am quite happy to look over my shoulder when reversing 😁😁

I think they are fair comments. Each to his own. I quite like the Excite seats.

Last edited:
I have to defend the Excite 😁 , mine is a red one it's down to personal choice but 100% I did not want a sunroof or fake leather seats it maybe down to working as a vehicle technician for 30 years and having repaired quite a few sunroofs , targa tops and cabriolets for water leaks , fitment issue's and noise issues the Excite for me was the better choice and I much prefer as my wife does also cloth seats . The only thing I wish I had from the exclusive is heated door mirrors 🙁 the wiring maybe already there so might be able to solve that easily with replacement mirror glass . Again personal choice I think the ZS Looks better without roof bars and I am quite happy to look over my shoulder when reversing 😁😁
HERETIC!! lol!! I can understand the cloth seat preference though...

I bought the Exclusive purely for the reversing camera, rear cross traffic alert and electrically folding mirrors. Those alone were worth the extra £2k to me based on the prices of these items from other manufacturers. I wasn't fussed about Faux leather or cloth seats either way and I actually didn't want roof bars, as I've no use for them. I didn't really want an opening sunroof as it's more stuff to go wrong, a panoramic roof with a blind would have suited me. But I've grown to like the sunroof, as it provides that extra ventilation on tilt and is (touch wood) working perfectly. I still hate the roof bars, they make it awkward to clean the roof and they act as perches for the birds that keep sh**ing on the roof as they take off.

I both understand and equally respect your model choice.
I would never try to under mind what, or why, people choose what they choose !.
It's a very personal thing really.
A sales person who worked at the same dealership as I did many many years ago, gave me some good advise once.
"Never by a model and then start running through the options list, or adding items after you have bought it. Buy the next spec that includes the things you want, otherwise at the time of sale, we will book value that car as THAT standard model only. We do not increase the trade in price, to include ANY of the extra "Bits" - they just helps us sell the car on at a latter date".
I have always remembered his wise words.
You pay between £500 & £700 for a special metallic paint on your new car.
Why, because you like that colour - absolutely fine.
Do you get any return on that spend at the time of the trade in ?.
No - Of course not.
I wanted my windows tinted, because the car is sadly lacking in providing any UV protection from the sun and the car did not leave the factory with this option as standard.
It was worth the outlay ( in my honest opinion ) to protect my grand children who travel in the back of this car. It was a safety requirement in my book.
Will this make the car worth any more at the time of trading in - No.
It will make it more attractive car at the time of sale of the car though - Yes !.
If you don't need or want the extra bits the exclusive has to offer over the excite, then why pay the difference in price !.
If I was in the market for a second hand ZS EV - then the exclusive would have to be on the top of my search list.

I looked at both but for financial reasons I went for the Excite. It still has more tech than my ICE Exclusive had. I miss the reversing camera but I do love my car.

Although I agree that the e.Golf is a very good car that may not have the BMS issues.
But VW are really struggling to get a handle on the software on the ID models though.
EV's are extremely "Software" dependant as I am sure everybody understands.
Tesla has the leading edge in this department.
You will be extremely lucky to find a VW dealer who is remotely interested in selling you an electric car.
Trust me I know, I gave up after many attempts.
I have owned many new VW's but when it comes to electric, they are NOT interested in the least !.
To be honest we all bought mg due to one thing cost .If you are happy to tolerate the worst customer service in the uk in my experience thats fine , you pay your money you take your choice.For me following my desire for a bargain hasnt done me any favours.If you can afford it upgrade or if you cant buy an e golf.
You will in the long run be better off or just pray that your lucky and dont have to rely on customer services thats where the costs were cut

I like the golf, but residuals don't appear that good, range is poor, customer service can be appalling at some VW dealers, our local one hated EV's when I test drove the Golf a couple of years back!

Glad to hear there are no BMS issues, shame the ID3 has such crappy software!
Yes the id3 /id4 is the car with the most problems !!

I to prefer the exclusive for the additional, useful kit but find it ironic that I have disabled most of the “driver aids?” to allow a peaceful, bong free driving experience. Yes I am aware the “aids” are also available on the excite.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom