Extended Range ZS?

fatboyfat1981

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just seen the MG4 extended range, whilst its a bit premature to think of a Moby replacement it did get me thinking: do we think that MG will do a ZS with an even bigger battery or will we have to wait until the MK3 comes out?

Just seen the MG4 extended range, whilst its a bit premature to think of a Moby replacement it did get me thinking: do we think that MG will do a ZS with an even bigger battery or will we have to wait until the MK3 comes out?
Personally I can not see them updating the face lifted version of the ZS EV again now TBH.
A facelift / refresh tends to be a quick "stop gap" to help revitalise a current model.
But the new model ( Gen 3 ) ZS EV is likely to be on a totally new dedicated EV platform.
Will it get a larger traction battery, who knows ?.
I CAN see them offering two battery sizes again though.
The packs offered could be of a similar size capacity to the face lifted ( Gen 2 ) versions, but I would expect the range would likely be improved again, due to a lighter construction of the body shell and less drag due to the improvements made in battery tech and in the motor efficiency department also.
I expect that MG will be intending to burst the 300 miles of range barrier on the larger battery size models.
Purely at a guess here, I would think we are still looking at spring / summer of 2024 before we start to hear some noise being circulating about the release of this model myself.
The first original ZS EV did about two year cycle before the facelift model came onto the radar.
So, by spring / summer 2024 the current facelift model will have also served a similar two year time line.
Again, pure guess work and speculation on my part of course.

Personally I can not see them updating the face lifted version of the ZS EV again now TBH.
A facelift / refresh tends to be a quick "stop gap" to help revitalise a current model.
But the new model ( Gen 3 ) ZS EV is likely to be on a totally new dedicated EV platform.
Will it get a larger traction battery, who knows ?.
I CAN see them offering two battery sizes again though.
The packs offered could be of a similar size capacity to the face lifted ( Gen 2 ) versions, but I would expect the range would likely be improved again, due to a lighter construction of the body shell and less drag due to the improvements made in battery tech and in the motor efficiency department also.
I expect that MG will be intending to burst the 300 miles of range barrier on the larger battery size models.
Purely at a guess here, I would think we are still looking at spring / summer of 2024 before we start to hear some noise being circulating about the release of this model myself.
The first original ZS EV did about two year cycle before the facelift model came onto the radar.
So, by spring / summer 2024 the current facelift model will have also served a similar two year time line.
Again, pure guess work and speculation on my part of course.
Apparently the next 2024 model adopts the MG4’s dedicated Modular Scalable Platform (MSP). Battery tech, who knows but a reasonable guess is that the chemistry will continue to evolve as per CATL & others with sodium hybrids or even solid state etc; also, being a new platform,this should provide greater interior space & general efficiency overall (given that gens 1&2 ZSEVs are retrofitted ICE platforms).

NCM batteries have greater density than LFP, so you can get a NCM with higher capacity into the same size physical space as an LFP battery. That's why the NCM is used for the higher range versions.
Yes, this is (currently) the standard on most EVs (eg, EX30, Telsa, MG etc), Interestingly though, the Atto 3 blades are LFP irrespective of range (SR 320k, LR 420k). Still, the near future should see the battery chemistry continue to change up noe with longer ranges, less weight and faster charging; then we may need to wait for some of that to trickle down into cheaper cars. For now there's ceertainly a lot of talk about next-to-come sodium, M3p, solid state and few more.

I dislike that the ZS LR has an NCM battery.

A longer range LFP battery would be sweet.
There are advantages / disadvantages between each different sets of battery chemistry types.
As battery technology improve, we are going to see more and more improvements I am sure !.

Last edited:
NCM batteries have greater density than LFP, so you can get a NCM with higher capacity into the same size physical space as an LFP battery. That's why the NCM is used for the higher range versions.
There are advantages / disadvantages between each different sets of battery chemistry types.
As battery technology improve, we are going to see more and more improvements I am sure !.

I agree with both of you and knowing what i know about NCM and LFP my thoughts remain the same.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom