Extra security needed?

Wychall

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Well folks, my new MG5 Exclusive arrived today so I am officially electrified! Here comes the first question.
Hearing all the news articles about key relay theft, is this something that I need to be concerned about? I'm not used to all these gizmos, my previous car was top of the range so it came with central locking operated by a key. Wow!
So do I need to store the key in a nuclear bunker and wear a tin-foil hat whilst at home with the car on the drive?
As you can tell, I am already half mad, I don't want to go the rest of the way.

Just get a pair of Faraday pouches off Amazon or eBay, one for your keys and the other for the spare.

Tinfoil is actually pretty effective. I lined a metal tin with foil and it completely blocks the signal from the keys.

It is also safer to wear the tin-foil hat while driving, with an earthing wire from your ankle (either one), to the car bodywork.
Thanks for the advice. Could you confirm where on the bodywork it is best to attached the wire, and what gauge wire to use?

I'm glad there is someone on this forum that is as mad as I am! I hate to be alone.

I remember years ago static electricity build up in a moving car was identified as a cause of car-sickness, especially in children. The proposed fix was to have a bit of chain or similar attached to the chassis and dangling down to contact the road intermittently (roads were bumpy in them days) and earth the static.
Strangely, like those pebbles you would strap to your wrist for seasickness, it seemed to work :confused::unsure::rolleyes:

I remember years ago static electricity build up in a moving car was identified as a cause of car-sickness, especially in children. The proposed fix was to have a bit of chain or similar attached to the chassis and dangling down to contact the road intermittently (roads were bumpy in them days) and earth the static.
Strangely, like those pebbles you would strap to your wrist for seasickness, it seemed to work :confused::unsure::rolleyes:
why if it worked do you see no cars with them now ?

Actually, straps of that nature are still common among the Asian community.
As to the pebbles, London gangsters used to favour concrete boots to prevent seasickness caused by bobbing about.

617-gcO-vAL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Amazon has many.

why if it worked do you see no cars with them now ?
less "wallowey" suspensions, plus back in those days when I were a lad most kids had never been in anything faster than a bus and simply weren't used to the motion perhaps? And floating around loose not strapped in.
Also you don't seem to get static shocks when touching the door handles of a car soon after it has stopped anymore so I guess the designers have done something to reduce static build up.
Or maybe it was all in the mind anyway.

Thanks for the advice. Could you confirm where on the bodywork it is best to attached the wire, and what gauge wire to use?

I'm glad there is someone on this forum that is as mad as I am! I hate to be alone.

Don't forget to stick pencils up your nostrils! 😂

Seriously though, if you're going to use the pouches, be aware that the car needs to detect the key when you're inside the car as well as when you're locking/unlocking.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Also you don't seem to get static shocks when touching the door handles of a car soon after it has stopped anymore so I guess the designers have done something to reduce static build up.
Tyre material has sorted that. Conductive material in the tyre compound dissipates static to earth.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom