Failed OBC on board charger

Malcolm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This post is really a follow up to my previous hit & miss charger problem post of 5th Feb but I thought with the latest info & a lot of forum uncertainty re charging that I would start a new post.
My first visit to Luscombes Leeds had the charger working at that time so they couldn't fault it & did some software updates & charging was ok for a few days. Then it failed again. Dash still shows 'connected but not charging'. DC charging on public chargers still ok but now 69p/kWh ouch!
Took it back to Luscombes last Wednesday & fortunately this time they couldn't get it to charge, neither did it show any diagnostic error so they reported it to MG who told them to fit a new OBC which is on order.
The OBC comprises of an inverter for changing AC to DC which is required for the battery. The unit is a flat topped largish nearly square metal cased thinnish box that sits slightly left of the middle of the under bonnet stuff that we called the engine bay on ICE's. There is a label on mine that shows input output voltages etc. AC to DC 32 amps. I think it is a fairly expensive part as I am on my second boat inverter(DC to AC) after the first failed that cost several hundred pounds.
DC doesn't go thru the inverter so that is why I can still charge although it must go thru some kit that controls the current. Whether that kit is in the same box as the inverter I don't know.
The short small pin on the AC socket is I think a red herring as that was my initial thought for failure especially when I saw it on this forum. I tried moving it with tweezers & it was completely firm. The hole in the plug for this pin is shallow to match & anyway if the plug is inserted properly up to the face it wouldn't matter if the pin was only 2-3 mm long it would still make contact. Also if it wasn't connected properly the dash wouldn't show 'connected but not charging'?
I await Luscombes & will keep the forum posted.

IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg

Last edited:
I had the OBC on my 2016 Kia Soul EV replaced under warranty last month - they wouldn't show me the bill, but said the part was £3000. We were stuffed when it broke as there were no DC chargers within reach.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom