Falling out of love with OVO

muppet77

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
The 5p per kWh EV rate tempted me in this summer when I got a new EV.

I’ve since found out that the amount of energy that they think I’m using for my EV is much lower than my Ohme charger says I’m using, and therefore I am paying for much of it at the highest rate.

I’ve had bad experience with customer support - operators who have slow computers the whole time, don’t understand their own tariffs, can’t find a manager etc etc.

I’ve numerous tickets open and a complaint raised.
They’ve admitted that there is a discrepancy in the values but I can’t seem to get a solution.

I guess I’m looking for suggestions and a shoulder to cry on!

I pay 32p per unit of elec and 5p for the Ev, anytime. I also get their gas.

Should I move to Octopus?

Help!

Does your Ohme tell OVO when the car is plugged in or how do they know when the car is drawing power?
With an Ohme you could get Intelligent Octopus which is 6 hours or more.

Does your Ohme tell OVO when the car is plugged in or how do they know when the car is drawing power?
With an Ohme you could get Intelligent Octopus which is 6 hours or more.
Yes it is meant to tell ovo but that seems to be the issue. If I change to octopus I may have exactly the same problem….

Sounds like a meter problem? Is it one that reports readings every 30mins?

I have Ohme but my meter sends the usage every 30 to Octopus.

Sounds like a meter problem? Is it one that reports readings every 30mins?

I have Ohme but my meter sends the usage every 30 to Octopus.
Yup it’s every 30 mins. It may be the comms between Ohme and ovo but the Ohme app reports a charge of say 30kwh and the ovo app records 30kwh but it seems to struggle to differentiate it between domestic use and EV use.

The 5p per kWh EV rate tempted me in this summer when I got a new EV.

I’ve since found out that the amount of energy that they think I’m using for my EV is much lower than my Ohme charger says I’m using, and therefore I am paying for much of it at the highest rate.

I’ve had bad experience with customer support - operators who have slow computers the whole time, don’t understand their own tariffs, can’t find a manager etc etc.

I’ve numerous tickets open and a complaint raised.
They’ve admitted that there is a discrepancy in the values but I can’t seem to get a solution.

I guess I’m looking for suggestions and a shoulder to cry on!

I pay 32p per unit of elec and 5p for the Ev, anytime. I also get their gas.

Should I move to Octopus?

Help!
I can see my smart meter data with Loop and Hugo, both Android apps.
If you can see yours your provider has no excuse.

I can too, but I can’t tell what the split is between EV and other with the ovo app.
Octopus Go does not split domestic and EV use, it is worth installing a domestic battery, charge it off peak and pay most of your usage at the current price of 12p.

That's true for as long as the tariff (or any replacement tariff) remains that way. Minor risk that they could alter the way it works.

Intelli octopus does the 6 hour off-peak and potential charging outside of those hours cheap at Octos behest. So I can see anything new would still include some off peak cheaper rates to encourage load shift.

Its also a shame that off-peak is also the dirtiest production, so not really the thing we want to encourage.

Intelli octopus does the 6 hour off-peak and potential charging outside of those hours cheap at Octos behest. So I can see anything new would still include some off peak cheaper rates to encourage load shift.

Its also a shame that off-peak is also the dirtiest production, so not really the thing we want to encourage.
Indeed.
Suspect the OVO octo chasing crowd have that pretty low on their list of priorities...

Why is off peak the dirtiest production, don't wind turbines work in the dark ?

Why is off peak the dirtiest production, don't wind turbines work in the dark ?
Only when it's windy...

(Light blue)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209_092435.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209_092435.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 57
exactly, and that has what to do with off-peak ?

In fact as I write this, wind supply is low.

View attachment 13503
Think you might have answered your own question with your stats & my graph?

If gas, biomass & coal are being burnt to charge electric vehicles overnight whether there's wind or not, then that's not as green as some might hope (or claim)?

Right now :-

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209_164730.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209_164730.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 69
Think you might have answered your own question with your stats & my graph?

If gas, biomass & coal are being burnt to charge electric vehicles overnight whether there's wind or not, then that's not as green as some might hope (or claim)?

Right now :-
I haven't answered my question at all, without wind anytime can be the dirtiest, off-peak has no relevance. My question to @Lguk was why is off-peak generation the dirtiest ? as he stated in his post. Wind overnight with low demand can be the cleanest.

I haven't answered my question at all, without wind anytime can be the dirtiest, off-peak has no relevance. My question to @Lguk was why is off-peak generation the dirtiest ? as he stated in his post. Wind overnight with low demand can be the cleanest.
Erm - as there's no solar at night (assuming it's light enough during the day to get any) without gluts of useable wind, the consumption ergo production of electricity at night has greatest potential to be "the dirtiest"?

Let's not overlook that....
"In general, winds are strongest during the afternoon when the earth's surface warms and the lower atmosphere mixes making it more turbulent. Winds tend to be lightest at night as the ground, and the air above it cools thereby stabilizing the atmosphere."

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom