Farewell, MG ZS EV!

AdeB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
It was the service unavailability (here) that did for my ZS in the end...oh, and the Tesla test drive :love:

Yes, I've ended my brief 'love affair' with the MG brand: just short of three years and 25,000 miles with a Gen 1 ZS EV, and switched to a Model Y.

It's been a great introduction to EV motoring - no way would I go back to ICE. I always thought the MG was fantastic value for money for what it provided, although (understandably for the price point) it had its foibles. Such as the limited range (although that didn't stop me from taking trips to the Lake District and Cornwall), the vagaries of the infotainment system, and the various random messages and bongs we've all come to expect from some slightly flaky software.

Had it not been for the servicing inabilities, I probably would have ended up with a face-lifted MG5 as my next car (was never going to be a replacement ZS EV, thanks to the growing clobber associated with two kids :LOL:). It was a good drive, and the equipment level is certainly better than in the original model.

But when Tesla ran an end of Q2 promotion on its Model Y in June - which meant despite its list price being a good £10,000 more than the MG5, the monthly leasing cost was identical to the MG5 - it was a no-brainer. Especially once I'd driven it.

Now I understand why Tesla is streets ahead of other EV manufacturers with its approach - and why the Y has become the world's best-selling EV. I've now driven the Y for 1,500 miles, including an 800-mile round trip to Scotland, and it's just a delight - especially the true one-pedal control. Another 100 miles of range, even quieter than the ZS, even more comfortable seating (I'm 6'5"), and tech that (so far at least) hasn't rebooted of its own accord and which has updated itself twice, OTA, without recourse to an inconvenient trip to the dealer. Whatever your views on Elon Musk, what Tesla has achieved is nothing short of outstanding.

What really clinches it is the Supercharger network; no longer do I dread the approach to a public charger. No wondering if the sole bay is going to be occupied, if it's working, whether it's going to accept the RFID or need the app or demand contactless - and the wait in the rain to authorise/plug in/start/restart/plug in again/swear. It just plugs in. Even without a proprietary charging networks, this is how all EV charging should be like, across brands and across providers.

I feel very lucky that I was in the right place at the right time, in order to take advantage of the Tesla promotion. I looked at the current pricing and lease offers, and they've gone up to around £150-200 more per month than my deal. At that level, the Tesla would have been beyond my means.

The only thing I have to sort now is the lease company (MG, via Santander) charging me on return of the ZS for the absence of the (non-existent at delivery) Type 2 charging cable!

I've also got a set of floor mats and my Type 2 cable for sale...will post those in the separate forum.

I'll keep watching MG (and this forum): if the service improves, and depending on what new models arrive, then I may well return. Tesla's offers might not be so generous next time, when I come to the end of my lease!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I like the look of the Model Y, the charger network, and the onboard tech. Out of my price range though and I just don't trust Elon Musk. You might own the car, but he owns the software which makes it go and he's already proved himself to be a bit unstable.

It was the service unavailability (here) that did for my ZS in the end...oh, and the Tesla test drive :love:

Yes, I've ended my brief 'love affair' with the MG brand: just short of three years and 25,000 miles with a Gen 1 ZS EV, and switched to a Model Y.

It's been a great introduction to EV motoring - no way would I go back to ICE. I always thought the MG was fantastic value for money for what it provided, although (understandably for the price point) it had its foibles. Such as the limited range (although that didn't stop me from taking trips to the Lake District and Cornwall), the vagaries of the infotainment system, and the various random messages and bongs we've all come to expect from some slightly flaky software.

Had it not been for the servicing inabilities, I probably would have ended up with a face-lifted MG5 as my next car (was never going to be a replacement ZS EV, thanks to the growing clobber associated with two kids :LOL:). It was a good drive, and the equipment level is certainly better than in the original model.

But when Tesla ran an end of Q2 promotion on its Model Y in June - which meant despite its list price being a good £10,000 more than the MG5, the monthly leasing cost was identical to the MG5 - it was a no-brainer. Especially once I'd driven it.

Now I understand why Tesla is streets ahead of other EV manufacturers with its approach - and why the Y has become the world's best-selling EV. I've now driven the Y for 1,500 miles, including an 800-mile round trip to Scotland, and it's just a delight - especially the true one-pedal control. Another 100 miles of range, even quieter than the ZS, even more comfortable seating (I'm 6'5"), and tech that (so far at least) hasn't rebooted of its own accord and which has updated itself twice, OTA, without recourse to an inconvenient trip to the dealer. Whatever your views on Elon Musk, what Tesla has achieved is nothing short of outstanding.

What really clinches it is the Supercharger network; no longer do I dread the approach to a public charger. No wondering if the sole bay is going to be occupied, if it's working, whether it's going to accept the RFID or need the app or demand contactless - and the wait in the rain to authorise/plug in/start/restart/plug in again/swear. It just plugs in. Even without a proprietary charging networks, this is how all EV charging should be like, across brands and across providers.

I feel very lucky that I was in the right place at the right time, in order to take advantage of the Tesla promotion. I looked at the current pricing and lease offers, and they've gone up to around £150-200 more per month than my deal. At that level, the Tesla would have been beyond my means.

The only thing I have to sort now is the lease company (MG, via Santander) charging me on return of the ZS for the absence of the (non-existent at delivery) Type 2 charging cable!

I've also got a set of floor mats and my Type 2 cable for sale...will post those in the separate forum.

I'll keep watching MG (and this forum): if the service improves, and depending on what new models arrive, then I may well return. Tesla's offers might not be so generous next time, when I come to the end of my lease!
A Model Y was 3 times the monthly cost of my ZS deal, so if it wasn't streets ahead then it would be a disappointment 😅

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I like the look of the Model Y, the charger network, and the onboard tech. Out of my price range though and I just don't trust Elon Musk. You might own the car, but he owns the software which makes it go and he's already proved himself to be a bit unstable.
This. Lovely cars (ignoring build quality) but Muskrat is a <redacted>

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom