Final tax reminder???????

CuriousIslander

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have today received a final reminder to tax my MG5, which was due on August 1st (albeit at zero cost). However, I did not receive an earlier reminder letter to say it was due, which I have always had in the past. My wife has also received a final demand for taxing her ICE car, having not had an earlier reminder letter that we have always had in the past.

I phoned the number on the letter and got it sorted via the automated system, but I am a little concerned that had the police stopped me in the last few days my car would not have been taxed, and in theory they could have impounded it.

Has anyone else had a similar issue???

My neighbour's car (not an EV) was clamped the other day as it was not taxed, he also had not had the reminder!

I received a reminder for the MG5 back in May. The other car is done on a DD so it can't be missed.

Never understood the logic about sending out reminders and requiring confirmation each year for a 0 car. I know its going to change, but they already know its £0.

Never understood the logic about sending out reminders and requiring confirmation each year for a 0 car. I know its going to change, but they already know its £0.
It's probably for the ANPR cameras the police use so they don't have to keep stopping you to check you are taxed.

I don’t think ( as of yet ) the system is smart enough to distinguish between ICE / EV’s.
Just easier to blanket every car with an automated reminder.
Even if the duty is zero, the reminder states that you still need to renew as normal.
When you renew your VED ( road tax) online, there is the facility to request renewal confirmation by SMS / E.Mail or even both.
This is a pretty instance reply / response and confirms that the duty has been duly paid.
Of course it is simple way to check if your VED is valid by a rechecking via your registration plate in the U.K.

It's probably for the ANPR cameras the police use so they don't have to keep stopping you to check you are taxed.
I don’t think ( as of yet ) the system is smart enough to distinguish between ICE / EV’s.
Just easier to blanket every car with an automated reminder.
Even if the duty is zero, the reminder states that you still need to renew as normal.
When you renew your VED ( road tax) online, there is the facility to request renewal confirmation by SMS / E.Mail or even both.
This is a pretty instance reply / response and confirms that the duty has been duly paid.
Of course it is simple way to check if your VED is valid by a rechecking via your registration plate in the U.K.

Dont send out reminders or requirement to be taxed to £0 cars, its not rocket science? Police use the DVLA database.

Last edited:
Here is a good article on this very subject, it clearly out lines the waste of money spent on reminders and the DLVA’s responce to why they are bound by legislation to keep sending out these reminders.
It also points out that in 2025 EV’s will subject to VED duty also, so reminders will have to be issued anyway.
Don’t remind me 🫣.

What a steaming pile of cr*p. Automatically licence all £0 cars until scrapped or taken abroad. Requirement removed/met.

Here is a good article on this very subject, it clearly out lines the waste of money spent on reminders and the DLVA’s responce to why they are bound by legislation to keep sending out these reminders.
It also points out that in 2025 EV’s will subject to VED duty also, so reminders will have to be issued anyway.
Don’t remind me 🫣.

It would be better to abolish VED for EVs and just put a small levy on public charging instead. Administration should be far simpler (handful of charger suppliers instead of millions of owners).

It would be better to abolish VED for EVs and just put a small levy on public charging instead. Administration should be far simpler (handful of charger suppliers instead of millions of owners).
A large number of people charge at home. Not sure how the government will get their pound of flesh that way. :)

The subject of paying for VED has gone on for donkeys years !.
It’s been done to death tbh.
To avoid evasion of paying, many people suggested dropping the VED charge and increase the duty in fuel ( pre EV days ) instead, this appeared a fairer system.
If you had a car and only did a small annual mileage, then paying less which sounds a fairer system ?.
Heavy users of the roads therefore pay more.
Nobody could then evade paying, if there bought fuel, then they were paying !.
Why did idea not take off ?.
Simple, the government wanted the duty on the road tax AND the duty on the petrol ⛽️ !.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom