First 100 mile trip out of London…

megamac

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Decided on a 50 mile each way trip to Bicester from London.

I had the infotainments screen go blank for about 10 mins on the way back. Radio was playing but screen was black. It then rebooted on its own ano started working again.

Also on the way back, and also today there was a small of what I would describe as welding smell coming from the air vents for a short time. Should I be worried or is that part of the car settling in?

thanks
nic

I had the infotainments screen go blank for about 10 mins on the way back. Radio was playing but screen was black. It then rebooted on its own ano started working again.

Also on the way back, and also today there was a small of what I would describe as welding smell coming from the air vents for a short time. Should I be worried or is that part of the car settling in?

thanks
nic

My Wife Pug 2008 radio/info screen does this all the time, its done in once on my ZS ICE when messing around with the sat nav, I would not worry to much, all software has its glitches/bugs even Tesla.

thanks
nic
@megamac I've had both of those things in my 2020 ZS. The black Screen reboot used to happen quite often forums. My has happened like that for 18 months but there were a lot of updates to the software throughout 2020. I had Comfort 2 upgrade a year ago and not had it san Controller board was the culprit. In the months that followed it became apparent this was a common fault. A few months ago my daughter had the say fault and the dealer did some simple checks and ordered the replacement part. It was replaced the following week while she waited. I hope that reassures you.

thanks
nic
I get the weird smell too sometimes, although it smells very similar to electric radiators that I had around the house before so I've just put it down to the odd bit of dust getting on the heating element

I get the weird smell too sometimes, although it smells very similar to electric radiators that I had around the house before so I've just put it down to the odd bit of dust getting on the heating element
No, it wasn't a dusty smell and anyway I didn't have the heater on when it happened to me but the car had been left in the sun and was so warm (in April 2020) that I needed the AC on not the heater. The smell I got was slightly acrid like hot insulation.

Is it possible to find out which version I have and which is the latest version I can update to?
No, not without visiting you dealeer. There are multiple ECU's in the car and they all will be at different version numbers. In the first couple of months of ownership when my charging wasn't behaving correctly and my dealer had said all the updates were on my car in the Pre-Delivery Checks but when they scanned the car and sent the configuration to MG Motors for analysis it came back that either something had been missed or updated in the wrong sequence. Once corrected the car charged correctly. There is, unfortunately, no single version number for everything you can check yourself even if you go into the Engineering settings in the head unit and many of the settings, tables and option menus are labelled in Chinese

I believe you can see your BMS software version IF you have a OBD dongle and a “App” on your phone / tablet.
The dealer can read the software version of course.

I believe you can see your BMS software version IF you have a OBD dongle and a “App” on your phone / tablet.
The dealer can read the software version of course.
I may be wrong but i understood that the BMS and many other ECU on the car have manufacture specific codes and your average OBDII Dongle hasn't the firmware to read much beyond the basic codes especially as they only have clone chipsets and don't support more than a handful of codes via the ELM 327 interface. Then you need the compatible software and that's unlikely to be anything you'll find on PlayStore. EV Watchdog is pretty good for the MG but even with one of the recommended Dongles, it won't give you comprehensive version number list

No, not without visiting you dealeer. There are multiple ECU's in the car and they all will be at different version numbers. In the first couple of months of ownership when my charging wasn't behaving correctly and my dealer had said all the updates were on my car in the Pre-Delivery Checks but when they scanned the car and sent the configuration to MG Motors for analysis it came back that either something had been missed or updated in the wrong sequence. Once corrected the car charged correctly. There is, unfortunately, no single version number for everything you can check yourself even if you go into the Engineering settings in the head unit and many of the settings, tables and option menus are labelled in Chinese
Thanks for the advice.

Car has been booked for first thing Monday morning at the dealership garage to have the software scanned and see if it is all up to date. Considering the car was delivered a couple of weeks ago and had a pre-delivery check, I would be disappointed if for the £250 charge for prepping, they did not update the software properly.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom