First impressions after a week - Trophy Connect LR

luis

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Some first impressions from the first 1000 miles in just over a week in my Trophy Connect LR. I have driven on long motorway journeys, school runs, long B road journeys.

Previous car is a 2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30 kWh - so some comparisons are made against that.

Drive - comfortable, reasonably soft over bumps - but not too bouncy - good turning circle - nice acceleration - very happy with that.

Interior - feels good - definitely not a cheap interior feel. Higher seating position than the Leaf - Very happy with that.

Charging - only had one fast charge so far and it has behaved as expected (though á slow bp pulse charger refused to work) - all other charges have been at domestic 7 kW chargers.

Driving safely systems - 2 or 3 times so far they all suddenly switch off and I’m told they are not available one by one…. In retrospect, these may have happened around the same time as the screen freezes caused by a bad cable between the car and my iPhone. Using a different cable some days later (or using an android auto box and wireless connection to phone) made the freezes no longer happen.

When freezes occurred - holding down the home button for 10 seconds (whilst driving) rebooted the infotainment and service resumed.

The reversing collision warning detected a cyclist some 20 meters along my road, then two further cars before I even saw them - very impressed by that.

The forward collision system sometimes kicks in and sometimes not…. Better than nothing I suppose.

The cruise control is pretty good but doesn’t regen any power so I’m reluctant to use it on long journeys when it would be useful, in order to conserve battery. I’m impressed by the detection of the car ahead of me or in the lanes either side of me - even distinguishes cars & trucks - it feels a bit Tesla-esque from what I’ve seen online (never been in a Tesla).

Radio - sound is good - I miss the real sub from the leaf but there is a virtual sub & 3D sound that make up for it. Saving & recalling favourites is a bit clunky and not very clear on the screen (small writing). Also - when on a preset, I’d expect the next/previous buttons on the steering wheel to cycle through the presets - but instead it scans for the next/previous station.

Amazon music - I logged in with my account. Works fine, sometimes just stops. Doesn’t have voice search, so it’s not particularly useful if driving alone. Would be great if Alexa was built in, even if just on the amazon app. Will probably stick to radio or music through my phone.

Interestingly, Amazon alerted me that my account had been used in Sweden - so I guess it’s being routed through there for some reason…

Built in navigation - looked OK - but failed to work the few times I tried it - it started navigation but then didn’t move on the map - as if i was stopped…. Today however, I did get it to work. I’ve set my home location so that I can tap the home icon on the navigation panel of the dashboard and it kicks in. (I tend to use google maps through CarPlay though) However, using MG voice command: “Navigate home” - it asks me where my home is and sets the navigation. (And keeps asking every time…)

MG voice command: has more commands than I expected, sometimes it works great, other times nothing happens - or something unexpected might happen. It’s a gimmick that could come in handy.

Service Soon Message - like others on the forum - I now have the triangle telling me to service my car soon. Since I bought my car in Hull, I’ll visit my local dealers and get them to reset it - and double check all software is up to date.

360 cameras - they are great if you’ve never had them, but coming from the Leaf they are a big step down in resolution and night vision. The 3D mode is a gimmick and doesn’t clearly always show you when you’ve parked the car perfectly inside a space whereas the Leaf could manage that. Individual camera selection is nice to protect wheels on the curb, but you can't see the rear wheels - so not much use when reversing. I really hope someone comes up with an upgrade kit for these cameras assuming the infotainment system can handle them.

The infotainment doesn’t ever seem overloaded which is a good thing.

The controls on the steering wheel work well.

As mentioned by another member on the forum, the central dashboard’s various modes could do with a large speedometer as the main speedometer is quite discrete on the left.

The car is fantastic and I’m super pleased. The sunroof is really good for letting the heat out at the moment, and definitely makes the car feel airy in the back. (It’s a shame it’s no longer an option on new orders)

Feel free to ask me any questions - I’ll do my best to answer them.

[ Edited Coulomb: units. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sat Nav issue sounds like the "dead reckoning needing to be switched off" issue that has been reported but you say it's fixed.
How is the efficiency compared with the leaf? Currently getting well over 4 miles per kWh as over 100 miles is easily doable in the 30.

Yes - it must have been toggling dead reckoning when playing with the options (must have rung a subconscious bell after reading about it ).

I’m currently getting 3.5 kWh/mile without trying very hard and driving at 70 miles for long periods.

I expect I can get better with some care.

Note that I always drive in eco (unless I forget to toggle it from the default Normal every time I switch it on).

I’ve only consciously changed it from eco to normal when the ac needs a boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty good thanks. Why not use normal mode? As you mention, unlike the leaf, eco mode messes up the AC so personally would avoid using like the plague!

I find the acceleration just a tad aggressive on Normal in city driving - I’ve gotten used to eco - works well for me in all driving conditions

Some first impressions from the first 1000 miles in just over a week in my Trophy Connect LR. I have driven on long motorway journeys, school runs, long B road journeys.

Previous car is a 2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kW - so some comparisons are made against that.

Drive - comfortable, reasonably soft over bumps - but not too bouncy - good turning circle - nice acceleration - very happy with that.

Interior - feels good - definitely not a cheap interior feel. Higher seating position than the Leaf - Very happy with that.

Charging - only had one fast charge so far and it has behaved as expected (though á slow bp pulse charger refused to work) - all other charges have been at domestic 7Wh chargers.

Driving safely systems - 2 or 3 times so far they all suddenly switch off and I’m told they are not available one by one…. In retrospect, these may have happened around the same time as the screen freezes caused by a bad cable between the car and my iPhone. Using a different cable some days later (or using an android auto box and wireless connection to phone) made the freezes no longer happen.

When freezes occurred - holding down the home button for 10 seconds (whilst driving) rebooted the infotainment and service resumed.

The reversing collision warning detected a cyclist some 20 meters along my road, then two further cars before I even saw them - very impressed by that.

The forward collision system sometimes kicks in and sometimes not…. Better than nothing I suppose.

The cruise control is pretty good but doesn’t regen any power so I’m reluctant to use it on long journeys when it would be useful, in order to conserve battery. I’m impressed by the detection of the car ahead of me or in the lanes either side of me - even distinguishes cars & trucks - it feels a bit Tesla-esque from what I’ve seen online (never been in a Tesla).

Radio - sound is good - I miss the real sub from the leaf but there is a virtual sub & 3D sound that make up for it. Saving & recalling favourites is a bit clunky and not very clear on the screen (small writing). Also - when on a preset, I’d expect the next/previous buttons on the steering wheel to cycle through the presets - but instead it scans for the next/previous station.

Amazon music - I logged in with my account. Works fine, sometimes just stops. Doesn’t have voice search, so it’s not particularly useful if driving alone. Would be great if Alexa was built in, even if just on the amazon app. Will probably stick to radio or music through my phone.

Interestingly, Amazon alerted me that my account had been used in Sweden - so I guess it’s being routed through there for some reason…

Built in navigation - looked OK - but failed to work the few times I tried it - it started navigation but then didn’t move on the map - as if i was stopped…. Today however, I did get it to work. I’ve set my home location so that I can tap the home icon on the navigation panel of the dashboard and it kicks in. (I tend to use google maps through CarPlay though) However, using MG voice command: “Navigate home” - it asks me where my home is and sets the navigation. (And keeps asking every time…)

MG voice command: has more commands than I expected, sometimes it works great, other times nothing happens - or something unexpected might happen. It’s a gimmick that could come in handy.

Service Soon Message - like others on the forum - I now have the triangle telling me to service my car soon. Since I bought my car in Hull, I’ll visit my local dealers and get them to reset it - and double check all software is up to date.

360 cameras - they are great if you’ve never had them, but coming from the Leaf they are a big step down in resolution and night vision. The 3D mode is a gimmick and doesn’t clearly always show you when you’ve parked the car perfectly inside a space whereas the Leaf could manage that. Individual camera selection is nice to protect wheels on the curb, but you can't see the rear wheels - so not much use when reversing. I really hope someone comes up with an upgrade kit for these cameras assuming the infotainment system can handle them.

The infotainment doesn’t ever seem overloaded which is a good thing.

The controls on the steering wheel work well.

As mentioned by another member on the forum, the central dashboard’s various modes could do with a large speedometer as the main speedometer is quite discrete on the left.

The car is fantastic and I’m super pleased. The sunroof is really good for letting the heat out at the moment, and definitely makes the car feel airy in the back. (It’s a shame it’s no longer an option on new orders)

Feel free to ask me any questions - I’ll do my best to answer them.
How do you find live traffic on the navigation system. I get my Trophy next week. Can't wait

Not used the traffic (or the built in) navigation. Will try today on a 30 minute drive I need to do across town.

Sat Nav issue sounds like the "dead reckoning needing to be switched off" issue that has been reported but you say it's fixed.
How is the efficiency compared with the leaf? Currently getting well over 4 miles per kWh as over 100 miles is easily doable in the 30.
How do you switch off dead reckoning please?

Cheers. Please let me know

I finally tried the built-in navigation properly in my city and here's my opinions:
  • It's very smooth and responsive
  • the traffic shows up a orange lines in the road
  • didn't tell me what the traffic delay was specifically, but the core info you'd want is on screen
  • it suggested a faster route saving 4 minutes, and later saving 3 minutes - this comes as a notification and you can either press the button to accept or not - but have no idea what the new route is.
  • the voice is clear, although I couldn't really hear it on the way out as I had the radio on. I suspect that since I turn the notifications sound all the way down to lower the loud indicator noise - that might also affect the nav voice level - I could be wrong on this though. On the way back I turned off the radio so I could hear the instructions.
  • it re-routes fairly swiftly if you miss a turn which is good
  • alerts of speed traps & school zones which is nice
  • it got confused on a one-way system, repeatedly asking me to "then try to do a u-turn" (see screenshot)
  • there is discrete lane guidance on the screen instructions, but there's no voice indication of what lane to use.
  • on the final long straight road before turning into my street it kept insisting to diverting me onto a parallels road which would make the overall journey 50 meters longer... I'm not sure why it would do this both roads are 30mph. Perhaps it took into account that the road I was on has a few more pedestrian crossing lights and figured it might be faster to go the other way (if traffic lights were activated) - but no other nav program I've tried has suggested such a strange move - and for an EV, surely shorter is better.

Personally, I'll stick to Google Maps (car play) in satellite view - I find that very clear.
    I used to love TomTom but since their big code re-write a few years ago it has felt like a beta product to me.
    Waze is popular, but doesn't seem to cater for Evs which is a shame.
    ABRP is the king for long journey planning, but I find it's navigation experience very poor - much worse to the built-in MG one.

So for me the best navigation approach is a hybrid one, which is annoying as I don't want to be faffing around with apps whilst driving.

Enjoy your car when you get it - it is very comfortable, performant, and nice place to be when on the road. I just don't fully rely on any of the safety systems - maybe that will change after the trip to my local dealer on Tuesday to check for updates and reset the "service soon" warning.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 09.50.43.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 09.50.43.png
    509.4 KB · Views: 92
I finally tried the built-in navigation properly in my city and here's my opinions:
  • It's very smooth and responsive
  • the traffic shows up a orange lines in the road
  • didn't tell me what the traffic delay was specifically, but the core info you'd want is on screen
  • it suggested a faster route saving 4 minutes, and later saving 3 minutes - this comes as a notification and you can either press the button to accept or not - but have no idea what the new route is.
  • the voice is clear, although I couldn't really hear it on the way out as I had the radio on. I suspect that since I turn the notifications sound all the way down to lower the loud indicator noise - that might also affect the nav voice level - I could be wrong on this though. On the way back I turned off the radio so I could hear the instructions.
  • it re-routes fairly swiftly if you miss a turn which is good
  • alerts of speed traps & school zones which is nice
  • it got confused on a one-way system, repeatedly asking me to "then try to do a u-turn" (see screenshot)
  • there is discrete lane guidance on the screen instructions, but there's no voice indication of what lane to use.
  • on the final long straight road before turning into my street it kept insisting to diverting me onto a parallels road which would make the overall journey 50 meters longer... I'm not sure why it would do this both roads are 30mph. Perhaps it took into account that the road I was on has a few more pedestrian crossing lights and figured it might be faster to go the other way (if traffic lights were activated) - but no other nav program I've tried has suggested such a strange move - and for an EV, surely shorter is better.

Personally, I'll stick to Google Maps (car play) in satellite view - I find that very clear.
    I used to love TomTom but since their big code re-write a few years ago it has felt like a beta product to me.
    Waze is popular, but doesn't seem to cater for Evs which is a shame.
    ABRP is the king for long journey planning, but I find it's navigation experience very poor - much worse to the built-in MG one.

So for me the best navigation approach is a hybrid one, which is annoying as I don't want to be faffing around with apps whilst driving.

Enjoy your car when you get it - it is very comfortable, performant, and nice place to be when on the road. I just don't fully rely on any of the safety systems - maybe that will change after the trip to my local dealer on Tuesday to check for updates and reset the "service soon" warning.
P.S. it can list traffic incidents around you, assuming you know all the road numbers where you happen to be.

FYI - I'm planning a 2 hour trip into the heart of London and back today in one charge with the AC on.

It's 108 miles total so should be a doddle for the LR - we'll see. ( I already have the TFL Cleaner Vehicle 100% congestion charge discount sorted out (£10/year) )

With the Nissan I did this once and had to charge on the way there and on the way back
!

Scratch that - we messed up on our dates and are 7 days late for our tickets…

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom