First long journey - any reassurance/tips?

Nanuchka

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,
Am due to drive from Cornwall to W Sussex this weekend in MG5 LR with son and dog. Quite nervous about getting the charging stop(s) right as in reliable charge points, somewhere decent to wait etc. Also have never used a public charger and a bit overwhelmed by the multitude of options, and no idea about paying. Is it worth having some sort of subscription if you rarely use them?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
A

Head out today and use a public charger, just to show yourself you can do it.
Have a look at zapmap and see where the most logical stops are for you to get a charge.
When on the actual drive, don't wait till you are near empty to go looking for a charger, about 30-40% is the time so that if your choice is busy or broken you have the power to go elsewhere.

That's it. Plan in advance, not on the hoof, and have an alternative or two just in case.

Also plan only to use the fastest chargers (CCS).

Not that I've ever done a long journey yet but I've bee swotting up a bit :)

Choosing sites that have multiple chargers also helps - less chance of getting there and finding a queue of cars. Some networks are better than others, generally you can't go wrong with Instavolt, Osprey, MFG Power and Gridserve, all of which accept contactless payments.

Quick look at Zap-Map, I'd aim for somewhere like the Instavolt at Bridport Leisure Centre with a 2nd option of the Osprey charger at The Buttermarket in Dorchester (with other options nearby in case these both are problematic). After that, there are four different Instavolts near Portsmouth and an Osprey too.

Have a play with Zap-Map settings and filters - sometimes easier to choose based on favourite coffee shop or fast food outlets though 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Hi,
Am due to drive from Cornwall to W Sussex this weekend in MG5 LR with son and dog. Quite nervous about getting the charging stop(s) right as in reliable charge points, somewhere decent to wait etc. Also have never used a public charger and a bit overwhelmed by the multitude of options, and no idea about paying. Is it worth having some sort of subscription if you rarely use them?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
A
Its a lottery I'm sorry to say and not getting better with the increase in EV ownership. Best to get used to a couple of Charger/App options and seek them out. For me the most reliable and easy to use are InstaVolt. Most need the app but many are just tap any credit/debit card and take a charge just like buying a contactless coffee. Instavolt are not the widest available but they are often at KFC and or Duncan Banantyne heath centres and usually less busy. Good luck.

That's it. Plan in advance, not on the hoof, and have an alternative or two just in case.

Also plan only to use the fastest chargers (CCS).

Not that I've ever done a long journey yet but I've bee swotting up a bit :)
Agree re the planning and back ups Smokie, as you can encounter queues especially when chargers are not working, which happens a lot unfortunately.

Choosing sites that have multiple chargers also helps - less chance of getting there and finding a queue of cars. Some networks are better than others, generally you can't go wrong with Instavolt, Osprey, MFG Power and Gridserve, all of which accept contactless payments.

Quick look at Zap-Map, I'd aim for somewhere like the Instavolt at Bridport Leisure Centre with a 2nd option of the Osprey charger at The Buttermarket in Dorchester (with other options nearby in case these both are problematic). After that, there are four different Instavolts near Portsmouth and an Osprey too.

Have a play with Zap-Map settings and filters - sometimes easier to choose based on favourite coffee shop or fast food outlets though 🤷‍♂️
I was planning a trip from London to Liverpool. I plan to use one of the 7 InstaVolt chargers at Corley, which seem to be one of the most reliable fast chargers, and with 7, you are pretty much guaranteed a charge. Then when hitting Liverpool, there's a few InstaVolt locations just off the motorway. Drop into Corley on the way home.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom