First long journey - range anxiety help!

FelicityB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello, I've had my EV since December but due to lockdowns haven't been very far. Next week I am going from Berkshire to Northampton, a journey of 120 miles, and then back again the same day. I'm already worrying about it due to charging. Looking at Zap map, the rapid chargers on the route are few and far between (there's 2), and they're frequently not working. I'm so worried about arriving at a charger and it not working, then not having enough charge to get me to the next one.
So, any tips please to help me! I'm very new to all this so any advice is gratefully received. I know I should drive at a steady 60-65mph.

Take your granny charger with you and see if you can charge at your destination, before coming home. Also, don't rely on using rapid chargers only - if you're stopping for lunch, even topping up at a 7Kw is better than nothing!

I don't know the route you've chosen but is there an alternative with more charging points (even if it's longer, it may help)? Using an expensive motorway charger is better than getting a lift on the back of a truck!

Good luck!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hello, I've had my EV since December but due to lockdowns haven't been very far. Next week I am going from Berkshire to Northampton, a journey of 120 miles, and then back again the same day. I'm already worrying about it due to charging. Looking at Zap map, the rapid chargers on the route are few and far between (there's 2), and they're frequently not working. I'm so worried about arriving at a charger and it not working, then not having enough charge to get me to the next one.
So, any tips please to help me! I'm very new to all this so any advice is gratefully received. I know I should drive at a steady 60-65mph.
The ‘a better route planner’ app is useful and may give you a bit more confidence If you take a look. As others have said look at chargers slightly off your route if you can. If you plan well you’ll be fine 🙂. Relax and Enjoy your trip!

Take your granny charger with you and see if you can charge at your destination, before coming home. Also, don't rely on using rapid chargers only - if you're stopping for lunch, even topping up at a 7Kw is better than nothing!

I don't know the route you've chosen but is there an alternative with more charging points (even if it's longer, it may help)? Using an expensive motorway charger is better than getting a lift on the back of a truck!

Good luck!

Cheers

Bloggsy
I'm going to a photography workshop in the sticks so no chance of charging while I'm there!
Happy to stop a few times just so I don't panic, and more than happy to charge on the motorway. At this point I don't really mind how much it costs so long as it isn't the back of a truck!
Thank you though, I will have a look off motorway. I'm going M3, M25 and then M1. The only 2 on my route are M1 just past Luton and near my destination at Kettering Mc D's. If they're working it should be fine.

Thank
The ‘a better route planner’ app is useful and may give you a bit more confidence If you take a look. As others have said look at chargers slightly off your route if you can. If you plan well you’ll be fine 🙂. Relax and Enjoy your trip!
Thank you, I will try and relax! I think I'm over planning and stressing in case the chargers are not working. I will have a look 'off route' though as I hadn't thought of that (duh!).
And will get the planner app. I only have zap map so far (and the charging stations), any others I should know about for EV's?

I'm going to a photography workshop in the sticks so no chance of charging while I'm there!
Happy to stop a few times just so I don't panic, and more than happy to charge on the motorway. At this point I don't really mind how much it costs so long as it isn't the back of a truck!
Thank you though, I will have a look off motorway. I'm going M3, M25 and then M1. The only 2 on my route are M1 just past Luton and near my destination at Kettering Mc D's. If they're working it should be fine.
Try M1 junction 14 for Milton Keynes Coachway MK16 0AA where there are 8 BP Pulse Rapid chargers all take debit card or BP RFID if you have an account. I would guess its probably within a 100 miles from your starting point and then Kettering is just up the M1 a few more miles. You could then top-up at the same point on the way back. Only downside of MK Coachway is the sparse facilities for eat/drink plus pay to pee. Have a relaxing trip and enjoy EV driving.

You should definitely be able to do 120 miles on the motorway. I did a similar journey recently and I set the cruise at 60MPH and sat behind trucks all the way there. Had the stereo, heated seats and air con on as well. I got there with 35 miles of range to spare and doing 55-60MPH only added about 12 minutes to my journey. I then rapid charged to full to get home.

The maximum range I've achieved is 149 miles.

Try M1 junction 14 for Milton Keynes Coachway MK16 0AA where there are 8 BP Pulse Rapid chargers all take debit card or BP RFID if you have an account. I would guess its probably within a 100 miles from your starting point and then Kettering is just up the M1 a few more miles. You could then top-up at the same point on the way back. Only downside of MK Coachway is the sparse facilities for eat/drink plus pay to pee. Have a relaxing trip and enjoy EV driving.
Thank you, I hadn't found this one. I have now, and hopefully between 8 chargers I should find one working! I was planning on doing one on the way and one on the way back, just for piece of mind.

You should definitely be able to do 120 miles on the motorway. I did a similar journey recently and I set the cruise at 60MPH and sat behind trucks all the way there. Had the stereo, heated seats and air con on as well. I got there with 35 miles of range to spare and doing 55-60MPH only added about 12 minutes to my journey. I then rapid charged to full to get home.

I haven't tried cruise control. Will that improve my range?

If your going past Milton Keynes, just of the Motor way M1 you have the coach way where there are lots of charging unit BP Pulse have about 6 charging units if I recall correctly.

With the current temperatures you’ll smash it.. I did 120 + miles today..A, B roads and M25 and achieved 4.5 miles per KWh. Total estimated range on today’s trip was over 180 miles..I had plenty left in reserve when I got home.

I used an instavolt on Monday and it worked well.
Used their app and got £5 credit for the first charge.

You could try Grange Farm instavolt - just off M1 j15. Also in Milton Keynes.

I think you may get a cheaper rate using their app and 5%vat and if you use my referral code we both get a free credit : 1geZ4

be calm bro take deep breath before yous go

I haven't tried cruise control. Will that improve my range?
There is varied beliefs on the efficacy of using cruise control.
I find it much less stressful to use it which means I'm less likely to drive faster than what's practical and efficient. It also allows you to sit behind lorries in their slip stream which does help range, it stops you getting too close as well.

I like the Wattsup app as it does show the just off route chargers as you go.
I do appear to keep plugging it as no-one else seems to use it (I have no connection to it in case you are thinking that). Does the route planning etc.
It is an app but can see details on the website WattsUp! Rapid Charger Route Planning

Thank

Thank you, I will try and relax! I think I'm over planning and stressing in case the chargers are not working. I will have a look 'off route' though as I hadn't thought of that (duh!).
And will get the planner app. I only have zap map so far (and the charging stations), any others I should know about for EV's?
Wattsup is worth a look as it gives nearby chargers. Good luck with your journey - post and let us know how it goes! Planning is the key!

Went for a drive yesterday into the Scottish trossachs, then up to the lower highlands and then back to central Scotland. I did no route planning, just went for a drive in the expectation that I would be able to charge 😳. Covered some 240 miles and was my first distance drive. The journey was relaxing and I was pleasantly surprised with the charging infrastructure (most of which is free if you join Chargeplace Scotland).

Started with a full charge, did two charges on route - one of 21kw (from 30% to 80%) and one of 25kw (from 15% to 70%). On both occasions as I approached lower charge levels and I did get a bit anxious, primarily as I didn’t have a simple way of locating the nearest charger whilst still driving. I use Android Auto and could have used one of the chargepoint finders like zapmap or chargepoint Scotland’s website (they don’t have an app yet) but there were 2 issues

1) no mobile signal leading up to first charge - this will be the case in much of the Scottish highlands
2) no way to identify/filter charge points whilst driving as I wanted to locate a chargepoint Scotland rapid charger which was available and free of charge

As a result I had to pull over (once I saw I had mobile coverage) and search/filter to find a suitable charger. I’ve subsequently found that I can save a filter on ZapMap which will show me CPS rapids, however I can’t seem to “talk” to google display this filter, for my current location and nearest available chargers.

The moral of the story - you have nothing to fear but range anxiety itself 😎

Last edited:
There’s 2 Osprey 50kw chargers 5 mins from junction 11 that I used the other day On a long road trip with a McDonald’s

Dunstable Road, Luton, LU4 8PW

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom