First long journey

Johncc

Established Member
Reaction score
Had to drive from Havant (near Portsmouth) to Bethnal Green in London yesterday (with police approval).
Round trip of 150 miles.
Used eco setting for most of the journey and stuck to speed limits so I wasn't driving like 'Miss Daisy ' but close to it.
Aircon was on economy auto at 20-22.
Phone and dash cam connected both ways.
Kers was on 2 until Wandsworth when I changed to 3 for the London driving (based on comments from more experienced electric drivers on here).
Weather was rain for a good 50% of journey, temperature around 8 degrees.

Started with 100%, 13% charge left on return.
Recharge warning on dash briefly at 20% but no further notification.
Completely new to electric but I drove this similar to my previous ICE car and the journey was a good mix of country, dual carriageway and city driving.
No complaints with car, comfortable and very quiet, steering and handling are fine. I didn't throw the car about - it's an estate and i have another car for that sort of thing 😁.

So in conclusion i am confident of doing 150 miles mixed driving without recharge worries.

I thought this might be of interest to anyone considering the swap to electric.

Yes MG5 - with the dodgy roof rails 😀.
No doubt experts can do much better (as I will in time).
It's the realistic range for a newbie I wanted to convey

I am really looking forward to getting an EV among other things just to see how many miles I can eke out.
Over four and a half years I have managed to average 55 mpg with my Jazz. I know squeezing range out of an EV will take some different techniques and I am dying to try.

I am really looking forward to getting an EV among other things just to see how many miles I can eke out.
Over four and a half years I have managed to average 55 mpg with my Jazz. I know squeezing range out of an EV will take some different techniques and I am dying to try.
It’s an interesting experience. I too used to get a good consistent consumption from my previous ICE cars. With EV’s there are some major factors influencing range and performance that are hard to overcome at the moment. They are very sensitive to temperature. Cold weather hits range and even economical driving cannot get anywhere near what you can achieve on summer days - unlike the ICE, which is affected by temperature, but by no means as much (on a decent journey). Using aircon in particular also impacts range quite a bit. And of course driving style and usage. For low speed use the EV generally returns excellent miles/Kwh, it’s at higher motorway speeds that it suffers more compared to an ICE. You will also tend to notice it more if you only have say 150miles range to start with (although you do get used to it) compared to 300+ on most ICE cars (although I’m not sure if most ICE car users could tell you the range of their car). That said the overall cost per mile is still much lower. If range isn’t too much of an issue for you the MG is definitely worth a look.

Out in my ZS EV today and the temperature had dropped to 2 degrees again, but happy with my return so far, please see picture below 109 miles completed with 29 miles left with an average of 3.2 miles per KWh, which is good in these temperatures, heating on, driving in ECO, KER’s 3....charging now at a Pod-Point.

Attachments

• 7314EA30-6923-4B20-BE79-32AB0E1E772D.jpeg
    7314EA30-6923-4B20-BE79-32AB0E1E772D.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 159
That’s very good. I’d be happy with that! Average 47mph too 🙂

If you've managed 55mpg from a Jazz and with your frame of mind already in 'eco' mode you're well on the way to achieving good results from the MG ZS EV. I'm sure you will love it as we do and if it's your first EV then you will be wondering why you didn't make the leap sooner. Enjoy it's a great car.

Range is not really a problem. I think the problem is finding reliable and easily found charging points. I know its a developing system, and thinks will/must improve.

if you are doing longer journeys, there is so much faffing about checking the location of chargers, having the right membership and card, and still a nagging worry as to whether the charge point is working...

Just to add, I have owned and ran an EV for about 5 years now, and for local trips, you can't beat it....

My plan is home charging as I do not make long journeys. Knowing my luck, I will return home with next to no miles left, and someone will have parked across my drive!

That's a pretty decent return, I do a similar trip of 120-135 for work into london. Have been left with 13% in a constant 0 Deg! Also a new driver of ev's

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom