• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

First Year Service MGzs ev.

Here is what is done, get a copy of this service sheet on completion of your service.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Things like lubricating the sunroof rails is nice to know. I see that they didn’t actually record you SOH or SOC just a tick. Did you check off the items to see if they had been done?

I had my First Service done at Eric Stead Sheffield. Cost was £105.00. Only dissappointment was they did not apply the new January BMS Update I asked for as after a heated arguement with the Service Manager he told me it would only be done if MG sanctioned it. So I now have to wait until next March to get it put on my car.
If they don't do it then it will be going elsewhere.
Why would you want the latest BMS when the one you've got is working fine ?
Fomo GIF by The Barre
:D ;)

Like when they tick the service sheet, to say they have checked the condition and pressures of the spare wheel, when the car has an inflation kit !.
This happened to a friend of mine when he asked the service manager why this box had been ticked on his car ?.
He told my friend, that if it had been ticked, it had been done !.
Then marched him out to the car and lifted the boot carpet.
"Oh ...... It must be under neath the car then".
Got down on his knees to check in his nice suit, in an attempt to prove my friend incorrect.
Then took off at speed towards the workshop.
Somebody was in for hard time, that's for sure.
There is somebody who knows his products alright ( NOT ).
I had a similar thing at Toyota with the Prius one year. When I looked at the check sheet I noticed the tyre pressures were wrong, looking closer I noticed they had the tyre size down as 13" when mine had 17" wheels. Upon querying it they said the technician had entered the readings from another car, a Yaris he was working on. They promptly went out to my car, checked the pressures and tread depths again and issued me a new sheet. It's anybody's guess if all the other stuff checked was on my car or the Yaris. 🙄

My understanding is still that the updated 450v bms is better in the longer term for the battery pack and that is why all cars should get it. MG don’t seem to be prioritising it though.

My understanding is still that the updated 450v bms is better in the longer term for the battery pack and that is why all cars should get it. MG don’t seem to be prioritising it though.
It is better in the long run, but you still get the same warranty though, so why bother ?
Unless you're planning on keeping the car for a very long time of course.

Good point. It’s just about having the best option for the car I guess and it’s a free update, as far as I know recommended by MG.

Why would you want the latest BMS when the one you've got is working fine ?
Fomo GIF by The Barre
:D ;)
Because the new BMS allows for quicker charging, charging with the doors unlocked, lower top battery voltage to protect the batteries and also faster battery balancing.

Last edited:
Because the new BMS allows for quicker charging, chaargung with the doors unlocked, lower top battery voltage to protect the batteries and also faster battery balancing.
I am on the original 456v BMS and can charge with doors unlocked or locked. My battery balance takes approx 20 minutes which would appear to be far quicker than the new BMS.

I am on the original 456v BMS and can charge with doors unlocked or locked. My battery balance takes approx 20 minutes which would appear to be far quicker than the new BMS.
I am on the original 456v BMS too but I can't charge with the doors unlocked. My battery balance takes hours not minutes so the new update would be a vast improvement. That is why I wanted it done. But the dealer will only do it when MG tell them to or they don't get paid for it. Miles from the Chorley group says that MG are now planning to get all ZS EV's on the new update.

I am on the original 456v BMS too but I can't charge with the doors unlocked. My battery balance takes hours not minutes so the new update would be a vast improvement. That is why I wanted it done. But the dealer will only do it when MG tell them to or they don't get paid for it. Miles from the Chorley group says that MG are now planning to get all ZS EV's on the new update.
Charging unlocked isn't part of the BMS I don't think.

Charging unlocked on AC is a separate module to the lower voltage bms update and needs the technician to update this as well if required - I think most do get done during the 450v bms update, but it’s worth checking.
I‘m on the 455v. I guess it depends on how you feel about getting the update.
Obviously if you have the bad bms software and your car is not getting full charge or balancing as it should you should get it sorted and updated.
If your car gets around the 455v on a full charge and balances quite quickly as many do then quicker balancing won’t be a reason.
If you want charging unlocked on ac (i’ve never had this) then that’s another module to be updated.
The additional small regen benefit on full charge with 450v doesn’t really matter to me.
As far as battery warranty - MG don’t need to do anything until range falls by around 50miles which is a big chunk on an already limited range car, so anything that protects further against degradation is probably worth having.
As long as you trust your dealer to do it properly! which is the biggest concern for most who have a fully functiong 455v bms!

Because the new BMS allows for quicker charging, charging with the doors unlocked, lower top battery voltage to protect the batteries and also faster battery balancing.
None of them necessary for the running of the car. 🙄
I'm managing without quicker charging (if it actually does that) as I don't use rapids and if I did it's hardly any faster anyway. The top battery voltage has no effect on the running of the car at all and you can already charge unlocked on a rapid, where you may want to wait with the car. There's no need to leave the car unlocked on a fast, 7kW, charger, unless you want to sit in the car for a few hours, which you can anyway if you lock it while you're in it, just plug it in and leave it.

Last edited:
Have a read of this as you may qualify for a low mileage first service which is actually about £30.

Just had my 2nd annual service done today at Richmond Portsmouth £106.58 , the mechanic sent me a video while it was being serviced of the tyre and brake check from underneath the vehicle 🙂 they phoned me also to say it needed 3 software updates , which they carried out as part of the service (see attachments) so I now have the latest BMS , I will fully charge at some point to see what the difference is from my original BMS from 2019 , it was interesting see see that they hand wrote SOH at 100% when I know it's actually 98.64% all went ok with no problems and the vehicle was ready to pickup on time 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_172744.jpg
    IMG_20210730_172744.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20210730_172605.jpg
    IMG_20210730_172605.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 112
Hi Guys and fellow MG ZS EV owners,
Mine is due its first service, how much would I expect to pay and are there any non main dealer garages that will service these?
Thanks,
Sean

Mine is due its first service, how much would I expect to pay and are there any non main dealer garages that will service these?
Thanks,
Sean
About £95 for a normal service. If you do a low mileage, you can request the lesser service for a bit less than half of this. Other garages won't be able to check and update any software, or register as serviced on the MG system. Also using MG gets you another 12 month AA cover and lessens the risk of any agro in the event of needing warranty repair, so I'd not bother going elsewhere for the modest saving.

Thanks,
Sean
Have a look at my note above about low mileage service plans

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom