fitting a chargepoint

robbymax

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have fitted all my own solar system at home so I know one end of a screwdriver to hold every time I get a price quote for a pro to do it it's a thousand quid plus I'm not going to pay that I want to do it myself can anyone help me It seems buy the charge point 450 pounds lump of cooker cable from the consumer unit connected job done am I being a little naive

Last edited:
Some points need to be commissioned to talk to the home server so that you can schedule the charge.

If you can, get a old rolec dumb charger, add a wifi relay to it and have a smart charger.

Shelly wifi relay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have fitted all my own solar system at home so I know one end of a screwdriver to hold every time I get a price quote for a pro to do it it's a thousand quid plus I'm not going to pay that I want to do it myself can anyone help me It seems by the charge point 450 pounds lump of cooker cable from the consumer unit connected job done am I being a little naive
I got an Ohme Connector Cable that plugs into a commando socket. Got an electrician to fit the socket but it cost less than £500 (and that was when the PiCG still existed!). Works flawlessly via SIM card with Intelligent Octopus via the Ohme app. Don't think they still make that model but I'm sure you could get a 2nd hand one as an option?

The installer has to certify their work and you cannot buy a dumb charger anymore so it's more involved/complicated.
You might be able to find a sparky willing to let you run your own cable etc. but I doubt they would let you supply your own, for the same certification reasons.

The original post stated that they were not employing paying a pro to do the work.

Also, i just pointed out that dumb boxes could be obtained from elsewhere.

@robbymax hope you get something sorted that suits you.

The original post stated that they were not employing paying a pro to do the work.

Also, i just pointed out that dumb boxes could be obtained from elsewhere.

@robbymax hope you get something sorted that suits you.

And others pointing out that DIY is not really a feasible option unless you happen to be qualified. If you don't pay the price now you'll certainly pay more if you ever come to sell the property.

Oh come on, you don't have to be qualified, but you do have to be competent the difference is about £ 500 it does mean fusing it properly at the consumer unit, using the right size cable for the amount of current it's got to supply And don't get your Your neg and pos mixed up And if you want to sell the property rip it out and bin it

Some points need to be commissioned to talk to the home server so that you can schedule the charge.

If you can, get a old rolec dumb charger, add a wifi relay to it and have a smart charger.

Shelly wifi relay

You can schedule a charge via the car, any car.
My podpoint, which came free with my first Nissan Leaf, lost the connection to the home Wi-Fi years ago and I can’t get it to reconnect.
Hasn’t mattered, dumb is fine when I can schedule via the car.
And doesn’t matter on intelligent octopus either as my Cupra Born is compatible.
An MG owner only needs to worry about Wi-Fi connection if they plan to use intelligent octopus, it’s a failing on MG’s part that the car isn’t compatible.

I have fitted all my own solar system at home so I know one end of a screwdriver to hold every time I get a price quote for a pro to do it it's a thousand quid plus I'm not going to pay that I want to do it myself can anyone help me It seems by the charge point 450 pounds lump of cooker cable from the consumer unit connected job done am I being a little naive
I did exactly this, I did actually go a step further in the beginning by designing my own wallbox using an Arduino and a few more components. That's another story though. There are lots of people that will say dont do it etc, get an expert, they should remember the Titanic was built be experts, the Ark by an amateur :). With the right approach, research in place and a thorough understanding the work can safely be done. If you really want to have an expert do the job, minimise the cost by running the cable, mounting the wallbox and terminating the cable into the wallbox. Leaving only the connection to the consumer unit and testing to be done by an 'expert'.

An area of confusion with wallboxes hinges around the earthing which can be dependent on your house earthing arrangements. There are a few wallboxes on the market now that have PEN fault detection which removes this confusion. As you have solar I would recommend a MyEnergi Zappi (I have one of these now), it integrates really well with solar PV, has the simple earthing arrangements and is a very robust and reliable unit. The support from MyEnergi is really good and integration to smart tariffs like Octopus Intelligent is underway.

So far as installation goes, a twin+earth to your consumer unit of suitable size (dependent on length), I used 10mm2 twin and earth to minimise volts drop along the cable length. You should of course notify your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) that a wallbox is being fitted, you may also need your service head fuse uprating, often 60 amp fuses are installed, sometimes 80 amps ideally you need to have 100 amps. That said, Zappi has the facility where you can set the maximum input current for your supply, if the total input approaches the limit set the Zappi reduces the charging current to the EV. The DNO will uprate your supply fuse, usually free of charge if your supply cable and route is suitable (it usually is).

Zappi can be bought online at trade prices from the likes of Tradesparky
Tradesparky
from time to time they can also be found on Amazon and eBay at very good prices.

Do let us know what you decide and how you get on.

J

There are lots of people that will say dont do it etc, get an expert, they should remember the Titanic was built be experts, the Ark by an amateur :).
And the Titan submersible was designed by a gung-ho amateur whose methods were repeatedly criticised by experts....

I did exactly this, I did actually go a step further in the beginning by designing my own wallbox using an Arduino and a few more components. That's another story though. There are lots of people that will say dont do it etc, get an expert, they should remember the Titanic was built be experts, the Ark by an amateur :). With the right approach, research in place and a thorough understanding the work can safely be done. If you really want to have an expert do the job, minimise the cost by running the cable, mounting the wallbox and terminating the cable into the wallbox. Leaving only the connection to the consumer unit and testing to be done by an 'expert'.

An area of confusion with wallboxes hinges around the earthing which can be dependent on your house earthing arrangements. There are a few wallboxes on the market now that have PEN fault detection which removes this confusion. As you have solar I would recommend a MyEnergi Zappi (I have one of these now), it integrates really well with solar PV, has the simple earthing arrangements and is a very robust and reliable unit. The support from MyEnergi is really good and integration to smart tariffs like Octopus Intelligent is underway.

So far as installation goes, a twin+earth to your consumer unit of suitable size (dependent on length), I used 10mm2 twin and earth to minimise volts drop along the cable length. You should of course notify your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) that a wallbox is being fitted, you may also need your service head fuse uprating, often 60 amp fuses are installed, sometimes 80 amps ideally you need to have 100 amps. That said, Zappi has the facility where you can set the maximum input current for your supply, if the total input approaches the limit set the Zappi reduces the charging current to the EV. The DNO will uprate your supply fuse, usually free of charge if your supply cable and route is suitable (it usually is).

Tradesparky
from time to time they can also be found on Amazon and eBay at very good prices.

J

from time to Tradesparkytime they can also be found on Amazon and eBay at very good prices.

J
Well done John thanks for answering, a kindred spirit, John he's a man who knows what he is capable of. I have to admit I have not always being 100% pleased with the work done by so-called experts. I have looked at the zappy plenty of suppliers on the internet a bit pricey at £650 quid but I am told you get what you pay for John I take it it is fully programmable because I am a octopus man and I've just joined octopus go, I get four hours at night at a very favorable rate shall need to be on that, incidentally I have been shopping around for a one year old Z S long range and they are available from £22,000 upwards and all under 4,000 miles and they will deliver. With a new model ZS coming next year got to be better than new

And the Titan submersible was designed by a gung-ho amateur whose methods were repeatedly criticised by experts....
The Titan submersible was designed and operated as you say by a gung-ho amateur, the difference here is that Stockton Rush received advice from experts and ignored it, attempted to use materials that were unsuitable for the application, diving to those depths was also at the forefront of what had been done before - pushing the envelope, the whole thing was a disaster waiting to happen.
There are no similarities here in installing a wallbox. The cable will be of high standard, the wallbox tried, tested and CE marked. Robbymax has 10 fingers, 10 toes and only one head, he's just as capable armed with the right knowledge of installing this wallbox as any so called expert.

Well done John thanks for answering, a kindred spirit, John he's a man who knows what he is capable of. I have to admit I have not always being 100% pleased with the work done by so-called experts. I have looked at the zappy plenty of suppliers on the internet a bit pricey at £650 quid but I am told you get what you pay for John I take it it is fully programmable because I am a octopus man and I've just joined octopus go, I get four hours at night at a very favorable rate shall need to be on that, incidentally I have been shopping around for a one year old Z S long range and they are available from £22,000 upwards and all under 4,000 miles and they will deliver. With a new model ZS coming next year got to be better than new
The Zappi is fully programmable with all the normal features and many more besides. It will be updated soon with a software release to work with Octopus Intelligent which is great for people with non compatible cars. Zappi readily integrates into Home Assistant too making monitoring and control an absolute breeze.

The Titan submersible was designed and operated as you say by a gung-ho amateur, the difference here is that Stockton Rush received advice from experts and ignored it, attempted to use materials that were unsuitable for the application, diving to those depths was also at the forefront of what had been done before - pushing the envelope, the whole thing was a disaster waiting to happen.
There are no similarities here in installing a wallbox. The cable will be of high standard, the wallbox tried, tested and CE marked. Robbymax has 10 fingers, 10 toes and only one head, he's just as capable armed with the right knowledge of installing this wallbox as any so called expert.

The Zappi is fully programmable with all the normal features and many more besides. It will be updated soon with a software release to work with Octopus Intelligent which is great for people with non compatible cars. Zappi readily integrates into Home Assistant too making monitoring and control an absolute breeze.
Bad news I'm afraid the trade outlet you suggested have withdrawn the product no more zappies bugger it was at a good price too Where to now

Bad news I'm afraid the trade outlet you suggested have withdrawn the product no more zappies bugger it was at a good price too Where to now

Shop Zappi EV Chargers at Direct Trade Supplies | Sustainable and Efficient Charging Solutions

Theres an untethered one on ebay, brand new finishing in 2hrs at £380!
eBay Zappi

This one may appeal to you, bramd new but with a damaged neutral terminal, looks like a dead easy fix, bids at £250, but it now £350
Zappi for parts

Another new one on eBay at £595
MyEnergi Zappi

Plenty to be had!

It's been a few weeks since my last post and for the first time my life I have to admit I am beginning to feel a bit deflated buying an electric car has not been as easy as I thought it would be, for a start a new one is a lot of money 25% disappearing the first week don't like the idea of that, something a year old with a couple of thousand on the clock seems to be a lot better value but the more you look the more confusing it gets all the do's and don'ts. Check this out check that out. starting to get me down now this fire at Luton Airport I can see that there are people bending over backwards to blame it onto an EV and now the insurance companies have gone sillyThe Old adage is if in doubt do nothing I think that'll suit me for a little while

It's been a few weeks since my last post and for the first time my life I have to admit I am beginning to feel a bit deflated buying an electric car has not been as easy as I thought it would be, for a start a new one is a lot of money 25% disappearing the first week don't like the idea of that, something a year old with a couple of thousand on the clock seems to be a lot better value but the more you look the more confusing it gets all the do's and don'ts. Check this out check that out. starting to get me down now this fire at Luton Airport I can see that there are people bending over backwards to blame it onto an EV and now the insurance companies have gone sillyThe Old adage is if in doubt do nothing I think that'll suit me for a little while
Because EVs are relatively like new toys or gadgets some people like to go a bit overboard with all sorts of stuff. Personally I just get in a press the pedal to go. When the fuel gets lowish I top it up.
I check the tyres and washer bottle...oh and I drive the thing. It's just a car, the only difference to an ICE in day to day driving is the power train and who cares what that is when you are pootling to work and back or the supermarket.
There is no need to worry or be concerned or do anything other than drive it and fuel it, forget all the other stuff whatever that may be.
And new ICE cars drop 25% after you leave the forecourt too. :)

Though the sales price you could get is now about 20k (carwow type of place) for a Trophy Connect LR about 1 year old v what paid a year ago. Glad I have GAP insurance getting me back to about 26k until its 3 years old, in case it ever gets written off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom