Fitting mud flaps

RalphsMG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Rightly or wrongly I’ve decided to fit the MG5 mud flaps myself and save on labour costs the holes line up with fittings on the arch liner but the instructions seem to suggest you need to drill holes. And use self tapping screws provided. Has any one got a photo of the fronts fitted. So I can see where the fittings go.

Quick tip, check the screws provided in the kit first.
The screws supplied in the MG ZS EV mud flap kits, are only black coated mild steel and will rust in just a few weeks.
A lot of owners have upgraded / replaced the screws & washers to black stainless steel.
On the ZS EV you have to drill holes in the under lip, of the black plastic trim of the wheel arches.
Jacking up the car and removing the road wheels may help with access.
Return the road wheel to the SAME hub or the TPMS system will throw a warning.

I was thinking of doing this too.
Take some pics when you do the job Ralph (y)

Finally finished in between showers. To do the rears you need to remove the wheels. But overall not to difficult 😥

Attachments

• 16E57416-3E98-4EFD-9D93-D52EA41E480E.jpeg
    16E57416-3E98-4EFD-9D93-D52EA41E480E.jpeg
    557.8 KB · Views: 274
  • DB871DD2-0E74-4FD1-861B-0BE5B029AD47.jpeg
    DB871DD2-0E74-4FD1-861B-0BE5B029AD47.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 284
I had a go at this today but didn't complete the job ( only tackled the front right).
The fitting kit doesn't seem to relate to the instructions which say there should be 8x20mm No 10 self tappers and 2x25mm No 10 with a white painted head. What I had was 8x15mm and 4x20mm (not painted white) together with 2 speed nuts.
For the fronts, once you've added the thickness of the flap, the original bottom screw is not long enough to be re-used so it clearly needs something at least 25mm long but that doesn't seem to be in the kit.
@RalphsMG I notice in your picture that you left this screw out so were you working to a different set of instructions or is your installation just an improvisation?
Here's a copy of what I have:
flaps.jpg

Hi yes I left it out as the white painted screws weren’t in the kit .so I ordered them on eBay and have since added them.0E1803BF-0E14-466F-B097-CEE2BBD74288.jpeg

Last edited:
yes just protected it with a coat of rust paint after reports of the screws rusting in 5 minutes

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom