Fitting new mirror caps on MG ZS EV - Removing the existing ones - help needed!:)

Neil B MG ev

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello,
I have recently purchased some black mirror caps to replace the white ones on my new mg zs ev.
Is there a special tool to remove to mirror caps? or is there any advise anyone can give as to the best way to remove the original mirror caps?
Do you have to remove the mirror first or can you just unclip the mirror caps ready to put the new ones on.. any help would be highly appreciated..
Thank you,
Neil B

In the manual page 274 it looks like you just squeeze the ends together to release the clips.

A good set of removal tools for various applications is a good start and YouTube has a few videos but not of the MG but most mirrors are the same I would think.

I've removed mine several times.

Firstly push the mirrors at the bottom until they face down as far as they will go (alternatively you can tilt them up and remove from the bottom but I found this harder and it felt like I'd break the mirror)

Put your fingers behind the mirror at the top and GENTLY pull until it pops off its holder.
You don't need to disconnect the wiring for the mirror you can let it hang.

If you use a torch you'll see the mirror cover is held on with two retaining clips which you can free with a flat screwdriver.

I found it easier to remove the 3 Philips screws and then disconnect the black plastic trim that holds it all together.
Be warned you may very well break at least one of the retaining clips - I broke one on each side, but the mirror still goes back together tightly without being loose.

Once it's all back together I tested the heated mirrors and also the blindspot warning (Exclusive only) to make sure the wires weren't damaged.

Removing the three screws and the black frame makes it much easier to access the tabs for the mirror covers:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210329-105610.png
    Screenshot_20210329-105610.png
    601.8 KB · Views: 733
I'd be very interested in how you get on with this with maybe some photos showing clips, etc ?
I'm thinking of getting our roof wrapped in black gloss and changing mirror caps to black like yourself. Can I ask where you got yours and how much for the black caps ?

Hello,
I have recently purchased some black mirror caps to replace the white ones on my new mg zs ev.
Is there a special tool to remove to mirror caps? or is there any advise anyone can give as to the best way to remove the original mirror caps?
Do you have to remove the mirror first or can you just unclip the mirror caps ready to put the new ones on.. any help would be highly appreciated..
Thank you,
Neil B
Hi Neil,

I bought chrome mirror caps which just fit over the top of the existing caps. The new caps are just held in place with adhesive tape and have been on for over a year without fail.

I can't understand why you need to take your mirror apart, have you actually tried fitting them over your existing caps and lastly have your new caps got little strips inside them?

Regards

Frank

I'd be very interested in how you get on with this with maybe some photos showing clips, etc ?
I'm thinking of getting our roof wrapped in black gloss and changing mirror caps to black like yourself. Can I ask where you got yours and how much for the black caps ?
I think MG sell the black replacements.

Quick update: Still not attempted to fit the black replacement mirror covers. Really didn't fancy taking the mirror out and the trim to replace so I have ordered the trim tools from amazon due today and I will attempted to loosen the main clip to remove.. I shall upload some photos if successful. Thanks for the help so far I will keep you all posted. The black mirror covers I bought here: MG ZS EV BLACK MIRROR CAP LH/RH | eBay they were £72 for the pair.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've removed mine several times.

Firstly push the mirrors at the bottom until they face down as far as they will go (alternatively you can tilt them up and remove from the bottom but I found this harder and it felt like I'd break the mirror)

Put your fingers behind the mirror at the top and GENTLY pull until it pops off its holder.
You don't need to disconnect the wiring for the mirror you can let it hang.

If you use a torch you'll see the mirror cover is held on with two retaining clips which you can free with a flat screwdriver.

I found it easier to remove the 3 Philips screws and then disconnect the black plastic trim that holds it all together.
Be warned you may very well break at least one of the retaining clips - I broke one on each side, but the mirror still goes back together tightly without being loose.

Once it's all back together I tested the heated mirrors and also the blindspot warning (Exclusive only) to make sure the wires weren't damaged.

Removing the three screws and the black frame makes it much easier to access the tabs for the mirror covers:
Hi, can you share the manual, thank you.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom