Fixed DF tariff ending next month recommend me an EV one

Silver estate

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Recommendations needed guys n gals please ,
My Octopus’s fixed tariff ends at the end of next month so I’m now looking for an electric tariff with a cheap rate at night and a gas one .
only charge my car once a fortnight , it do have washing machine on most evenings and that has a delay on it
P/S I think I know what the answer will be but should it be Go or intelligent 😉

Do you already have the right charge point for Intelligent?

Intelligent is cheaper than Go but as @Alb says have you got an Ohme EVSE?
Ovo, E.on and EDF go EV tariffs so maybe look at them too if you milage is low?

Last edited:
It's worth looking at other suppliers. I have a Zappi charger to I can't have Octopus Intelligent and Octopus Go's gas tariff was slightly more expensive that E.on's so cancelled the slightly cheaper electricity tariffs.

My Octopus’s fixed tariff ends at the end of next month so I’m now looking for an electric tariff with a cheap rate at night and a gas one .
only charge my car once a fortnight , it do have washing machine on most evenings and that has a delay on it
Silly question, but because you only charge once a fortnight, is an off peak tariff really that beneficial, as the day rate will be expensive to compensate for the cheaper night rate.
Just saying 🤔.

Silly question, but because you only charge once a fortnight, is an off peak tariff really that beneficial, as the day rate will be expensive to compensate for the cheaper night rate.
Just saying 🤔.
Only 2p difference and no difference in standing charge

Intelligent is cheaper than Go but as @Alb says have you gotvan Ohme EVSE?
Ovo, E.on and EDF go EV tariffs so maybe look at them too if you milage is low?
I’ve got a wall box

Just saying 🤔.
On Octopus Go or Intelligent the day rate is barely different to normal rate, in my area approx 0.2p
It's a no brainer if already on Octopus and don't want to switch.

Electricity

• Day unit rate:29.56 p/kWh
  • Night unit rate:9.50 p/kWh
  • Standing charge:53.96 p/day

On Octopus Go or Intelligent the day rate is barely different to normal rate, in my area approx 0.2p
It's a no brainer if already on Octopus and don't want to switch.

Electricity

• Day unit rate:29.56 p/kWh
  • Night unit rate:9.50 p/kWh
  • Standing charge:53.96 p/day
Yep that’s what I’m leaning toward is the go
but wi thing is my daily unit is 30.5p and standing is 48p. On the quote I got Saturday night

Yep that’s what I’m leaning toward is the go
but wi thing is my daily unit is 30.5p and standing is 48p. On the quote I got Saturday night
Slightly different prices and standing charges in each area.

Intelligent, if your charger is compatible. Intelligent gives you 6 hours at 7.5p/kW. Go is only 9.5p/kW for 4 hours.

It remains to be seen whether the new price cap will have an impact on these prices 🤔

Much as I hate British Gas, their tariffs haven't been bad over the last 2 years. My previous tariff ended in July, can't remember all the exact numbers except night rate electric at 6.4p. Its all gone up now on the new tariff by around 50%, so night rate 9.4p but the joy is there's no exit fees, so when something better comes up I can jump. When I compared them in July, most providers were pretty much the same when you looked at cost per kwh and the daily standing charge.

I should add, my MG5 or Podpoint charger weren't compatible for some suppliers.

Intelligent, if your charger is compatible. Intelligent gives you 6 hours at 7.5p/kW. Go is only 9.5p/kW for 4 hours.

It remains to be seen whether the new price cap will have an impact on these prices 🤔
I’m probably going for the Go tariff
As I have a wall box charger

Just saying 🤔.
Plus with the EV tariff all the washing/ drying can be done at night !

I’m in a similar situation in that I don’t charge my EV very often. I don’t have a compatible EV charger and as you know the MG isn’t supported either. I’m on Octopus agile for electricity. It costs more at peak times between 4-7 , usually. I charge the car when the rate is low, often just a few pence.( you can see the rate for the next day) It suits me perfectly but probably not for everyone, especially around the peak time. I wasn’t willing to pay the much higher rate for the remaining 20 hours for a cheaper overnight rate, probably not using it often.

E.ON Next Drive - 9.5p per Kwh from midnight to 7am for all electricity.

Plus if you have solar PV their export is 16.5p compared to Octopus 4.1p if you are in GO

E.ON Next Drive - 9.5p per Kwh from midnight to 7am for all electricity.

Plus if you have solar PV their export is 16.5p compared to Octopus 4.1p if you are in GO
I've just moved to Eon Next Drive, the buggers activately a day after i needed to charge.
If anyone does swap to it be sure to push EON, after 3 weeks they hadn't moved me to the drive tariff.
1 polite, but this is why i swapped to EON so come on guys, email later they switched me within 24 hours.

I was with Octopus GO, applied to E.ON on the 17th Aug, was switched to the E.ON interim Flex tariff on the 19th (while they confirm your Smart Meter is working) and then finally to Next Drive on the 24th of Aug. So a week all in for me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom