Fixed DF tariff ending next month recommend me an EV one

Plus with the EV tariff all the washing/ drying can be done at night !
Of course it can, but with off peak tariffs you have to compare the day time tariff compared with being on waht could be a lower single rate standard tariff.
Being on a fixed rate cheap deal rate at 4.5 p/kwh works fine for us personally, because we have load shifted as much as we possibly can into the off peak 5 hours.
Our day rate is almost 40 p/kwh and we try to limit any heavy load usage then etc.
Here is the BUT if you are only charging once every two weeks, even conducting your washing / drying at night ( which again will depend largely on the size of your family ) this may not be as cost effective as being on a single rate tariff.
Even though we are now retired, our home wall box is used a lot.
We have covered 20,000 miles in our first EV in two years and we have now covered another 13,000 miles in about 16 months.
No two usage cases will ever be the same and therefore "off peak" deals suit some, but not all.
Our last electricity bill displayed that our night rate consumption, is higher than our day rate usage.
This is a simple guide that proves to use at least, that the "Off Peak" tariff does work in our favour.

Of course it can, but with off peak tariffs you have to compare the day time tariff compared with being on waht could be a lower single rate standard tariff.
Being on a fixed rate cheap deal rate at 4.5 p/kwh works fine for us personally, because we have load shifted as much as we possibly can into the off peak 5 hours.
Our day rate is almost 40 p/kwh and we try to limit any heavy load usage then etc.
Here is the BUT if you are only charging once every two weeks, even conducting your washing / drying at night ( which again will depend largely on the size of your family ) this may not be as cost effective as being on a single rate tariff.
Even though we are now retired, our home wall box is used a lot.
We have covered 20,000 miles in our first EV in two years and we have now covered another 13,000 miles in about 16 months.
No two usage cases will ever be the same and therefore "off peak" deals suit some, but not all.
Our last electricity bill displayed that our night rate consumption, is higher than our day rate usage.
This is a simple guide that proves to use at least, that the "Off Peak" tariff does work in our favour.
As mentioned earlier there is no real day time/peak loading (well approx 0.2p) on the day rate with Octopus Go/Intelligent.

You’re correct in that .. my quoted rates are very substantially higher than that !!
What rates have you been quoted ? I would expect variations but not massive differences, apart from perhaps standing charges.
Did you use the online Octopus site and your postcode (don't click enter !)

I can’t use intelligent octopus ,did the check yesterday but will switch to Go tariff
I did a dummy test run on a scheduled charged on my wall box charger yesterday and all was fine and 4 hours gave me 50% charge at 24amps
I will look to swap some time soon
Thanks all for input and advise

Just be aware, swapping energy providers and smart meters I went from OVO to EON, six weeks layer they still couldn’t read my 2nd generation smart meter and couldn’t say when it would come on line, so I left, now with Octopus, 5 days in, still no communication with my smart meter , they did say if after 18 days with no readings they would install a new one within 4 to 6 weeks.. so still no joy for EV 10p kwh. Fingers crossed

As I have found with British Gas and Octopus not all second gen smart meters are comparable. I’ve a feeling the companies engineer them slightly to suit their own needs and in a hope customer won’t chop and change suppliers. Otherwise you would constantly have engineers changing out your meters as we have experienced.

When I approached Octopus 🐙 with a view towards switching about two years ago, they said they could run a check and said they were able to view my meter, before switching over.
Not sure if this is 100% accurate or not ??.

When I approached Octopus 🐙 with a view towards switching about two years ago, they said they could run a check and said they were able to view my meter, before switching over.
Not sure if this is 100% accurate or not ??.

Yes, same here.

After the check I was informed that my smart meter wasn't the correct generation, but they could update the firmware over the internet to the latest standard, which they did and all has been well with it.

I was on Octopus Go Faster for a year since I got my ZS LR. I paid for a Wallbox PulsarPlus charger to be installed. the tariff is like normal Go but I could choose my charging window. I had 9:30 to 2:30am so we could use the evenings cheap electric to do washing loads and stuff while still awake.

This year Octopus told me the tariff is ending. They were promoting Intelligent as an option. I thought I couldn’t get that because I don’t have an Ohme charger.

I did the test on their app and it accepted the MG and my Wallbox Pulsar Plus and it has all gone swimmingly easy so far. Charging starts at 11:30pm unless their algorithm decides a better option is available.

It’s worth a look.

From a comparison the BG EV Sept 24 tariff is the cheapest overall but will see if the next version is cheaper due to the price cap reduction. No need for fancy charger or linking car apps.

I was on Octopus Go Faster for a year since I got my ZS LR. I paid for a Wallbox PulsarPlus charger to be installed. the tariff is like normal Go but I could choose my charging window. I had 9:30 to 2:30am so we could use the evenings cheap electric to do washing loads and stuff while still awake.

This year Octopus told me the tariff is ending. They were promoting Intelligent as an option. I thought I couldn’t get that because I don’t have an Ohme charger.

I did the test on their app and it accepted the MG and my Wallbox Pulsar Plus and it has all gone swimmingly easy so far. Charging starts at 11:30pm unless their algorithm decides a better option is available.

It’s worth a look.
Have got the Wallbox or the MG API connected to Octopus?

Have got the Wallbox or the MG API connected to Octopus?
I had to post some settings in the Wallbox app. OCPP settings. octopus send you the things to key in. Then the Octopus app controls when charging starts and finishes.

I didn’t need to do anything to the MG app. I just use it to set the master limit of how much charge I want. Usually set and leave that at 100% because of the high miles we do each day.

Interesting and useful ... I have a Wallbox PP and can see the OCPP setting in the app. :)

Unfortunately a time of day tariff doesn't suit our usage so we're unlikely to benefit.

Plus with the EV tariff all the washing/ drying can be done at night !
Dryer overnight probably ok. But leaving clothes drying in washing machine overnight, not a good idea, comes out wrinkled up, and leaves dried up marks. {found this out, the hard way} :oops:
actually think I`ve found the cheapest tariff. Sainsbury car park, 3hrs free! and Air-conditioned waiting room {chair by the tills :geek:}

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom