Fixed rate energy tariffs.

I hope rates do fall. I don’t think that particular link is a great indicator though. It’s primarily about petitions and people taking action.

Last edited:
I hope rates do fall. I don’t think that particular link is a great indicator though. It’s primarily about partitions and people taking action.
If and when the rates do fall the cost of home batteries and solar should also come down to make them competitive. Pay back periods over 10-20 years are not good selling points .🤣

Latest predictions from Cornwall Insight (one of the more reliable predictors):

Latest predictions from Cornwall Insight (one of the more reliable predictors):

The consumers friend Martin Lewis, tends to lean towards the prediction forecasts set out by Cornwall Insight.

If and when the rates do fall the cost of home batteries and solar should also come down to make them competitive. Pay back periods over 10-20 years are not good selling points .🤣
Its way better than that currently, although admittedly we hit a sweet spot on a fixed tariff last year, at current rates we should hit less than 3 years payback on the battery & solar.

How do you calculate the 3 year payback please?

With one of the cheapest solar and battery combinations at £7,500 you’re using £2,500 a year on electricity ? ? ?

IMG_4894.PNG
... we were, but with the right tariff & optimum kit, we save around £200-£250 / month, the key thing is to get the cheapest off peak tariff available, currently octopus @ 7.5p, so in a years time, our monthly cost is going to increase by around £10 / month.

View attachment 17605... we were, but with the right tariff & optimum kit, we save around £200-£250 / month, the key thing is to get the cheapest off peak tariff available, currently octopus @ 7.5p, so in a years time, our monthly cost is going to increase by around £10 / month.
There is only three two of us in our 3 bed semi so with a typical Winter monthly electrical bill of £100-£120 I can’t, at my stage life see the payback benefits. 🥹

There is only three two of us in our 3 bed semi so with a typical Winter monthly electrical bill of £100-£120 I can’t, at my stage life see the payback benefits. 🥹
I appreciate that, but were doing a full renovation, so took the opportunity to future proof the house, whilst we had funds (and manpower) available.

View attachment 17605 the key thing is to get the cheapest off peak tariff available,
Not neccesserily. You have ot look at how many hours you get at off peak. I get 90 hours a week off peak (whole weekend), so use less peak electricity. So although my off peak rate is higher, over the week it works out chaeper.

Not neccesserily. You have ot look at how many hours you get at off peak. I get 90 hours a week off peak (whole weekend), so use less peak electricity. So although my off peak rate is higher, over the week it works out chaeper.
As I've noted every one is different, but 1/2 - 1 MW per month cost us between £22.5 to £45 (max., as I've ignored the "free" solar ~ 50-100kw per week in summer), hence we should achieve payback in around 3 years, at current rates.

As I've noted every one is different, but 1/2 - 1 MW per month cost us between £22.5 to £45 (max., as I've ignored the "free" solar ~ 50-100kw per week in summer), hence we should achieve payback in around 3 years, at current rates.
I was just pointing out to other readers that it's not only the cheapest off peak but for how many hours. Not disputing your figures. (My solar paid for itself in 4.5 years) and everyone has different circumstances and need to do their research and maths. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom