Fog Lights

SparkyEV

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Anyone know if you can get the rear fog lights on without the headlights being on too?

Went out today in a thick pea-souper and the auto headlights wouldn't turn on because it was too bright but couldn't get the fog light to work without manually turning on the headlights which then meant that the infotainment system (god bless it!) / Android Go darkened to a point where it was hard to see it. 🤨🙄

I don't have a ZS however generally you should be able to turn on your rear fog lights (and front if fitted) on any car with just the side lights on.

In fact if driving in really thick fog I was always taught to turn off the headlights and use front fogs where available as often headlights just decrease your visibility as the fog reflects the light.

Sorry in advance....rant incoming.

I drove an 80 mile round trip yesterday in fog, and the number of cars with either no lights on, front fogs on and no rears on, or parking lights(commonly but wrongly known as side lights) on and no rears, was unbelievable.

Maybe it's a fault of manufacturers adding auto lights and not thinking about possible visibility scenarios, or drivers just being happy to just start the car and drive regardless of what's shining front and rear. Whatever....

My headlights are on dipped in fog and heavy rain with surface water(never just rears/fogs/parking (without rears)).
Parking lights, should only to be used for parking on a road or in a layby in a 40+mph limit. I think it is an oversight by some manufacturers not to allow a driver to easily understand which lights are on when the switch is in a certain position.

It's about seeing and being seen.

Interestingly, I wonder if the DRL LEDs penetrate fog better than the headlights on the MG? Once the headlights are on, I believe the LEDs turn off so, potentially, we're having to get a slightly worse set up if we trip over to manual so that we can use the fog lights.

Just for clarification, we were out during the day so it was plenty bright, just visibility was down to bugger all!

Hi
If screen too dark you can keep it bright by going into settings and switching the auto brightness off.
I've done it when I needed the headlights on in daytime.
Yeah, you can do that but then you're constantly faffing about with it each time you use it. Especially with the slow response on the infotainment system, I'll be at my destination by the time I've navigated all the menus and it's thought about it for an hour...😀

I'd prefer the daytime / nightime screens to work on local sunset / sunrise times ( + or - a margin of error).

I don't have a ZS however generally you should be able to turn on your rear fog lights (and front if fitted) on any car with just the side lights on.

In fact if driving in really thick fog I was always taught to turn off the headlights and use front fogs where available as often headlights just decrease your visibility as the fog reflects the light.
I don't know if you've noticed but your MG5 doesn't have front fogs the same as the ZS EV doesn't.
Interestingly, I wonder if the DRL LEDs penetrate fog better than the headlights on the MG? Once the headlights are on, I believe the LEDs turn off so, potentially, we're having to get a slightly worse set up if we trip over to manual so that we can use the fog lights.
The DRLs stay on at a slightly reduced brightness on the ZS when you put the headlights on.
That means in your proposed scenario, you would be driving around with no headlights, the legal requirement in fog is headlights and/or front foglights.

One point to note from my other car, not sure if it will apply on MG ZS.
When driving at night in fog, suddenly all the lights went off, with. No warning.
Panic! Car had suddenly thought reflected light was daylight.
NB: When dark and foggy turn lights to manual!
Wow, good point. Thanks for the heads up.

I'd prefer the daytime / nightime screens to work on local sunset / sunrise times ( + or - a margin of error).
The way they are set to work is much better. If it’s a dull day, for example the lights come on, if you enter a tunnel the lights come on.

The only time they don’t is in daytime poor weather. Rain or fog. That’s what the manual setting is for as the cars computer just can’t work those out as it doesn’t look into the distance, just light shining on a couple of sensors and using the info to determine if the lights need to come on based on the difference.

Guys thanks for all the interesting comments and you've answered all the questions I had about why when I turn on my rear foglights at night in my MG5 EV SW with auto lights enabled it disabled the auto high beam sensor. I also want to say that this forum is highly respectful of questions and replies, its a pleasure reading through the threads, please keep it up, :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom