Folding Mirrors issue

roythegrass

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have brand new MG HS. I have an issue with the folding door mirrors.

1)They will only fold in at speeds below 12 mph (19kmh) This the dealer tells me is a safety feature- in reality it’s the exact opposite as one can be traveling above this speed when it becomes necessary to fold the mirrors due to an oncoming wide vehicle on a narrowing road.
2) If driving well below 12mph with the mirrors folded in and then accelerating only fractionally the mirrors automatically fold out which risks having them hit by oncoming traffic. Again the dealer tells me this is a safety feature.
I’ve had numerous cars with folding mirrors which can be folded in at normal speeds and will only fold back out when activated.
There is no mention of this ‘feature’ in the owner’s manual. I’ve emailed MG but they have not responded.
Is this feature on all HS models or is it peculiar to my car?

This is normal for this car you can not run at speed with the mirrors folded in, also it is illegal to run with driver mirror in or broken and not useable If fitted. I had a driver mirror broken at a filling station on a company van and when I told the fleet manager he informed the above and to go straight to the dealer and have it done the same day.

I currently have a Citroen C4 Picasso and the mirrors will fold in at any speed, whereas my son has a C3 Shine and his mirrors will only fold in at low speed as the HS.

1)They will only fold in at speeds below 12 mph (19kmh) This the dealer tells me is a safety feature- in reality it’s the exact opposite as one can be traveling above this speed when it becomes necessary to fold the mirrors due to an oncoming wide vehicle on a narrowing road.
I admire your faith in other drivers @roythegrass. Personally I wouldn't want to be driving above 12mph so close to others that I feel in danger of loosing my wing mirrors. Especially to someone whoses driving ability is a total unknown.

2) If driving well below 12mph with the mirrors folded in and then accelerating only fractionally the mirrors automatically fold out which risks having them hit by oncoming traffic. Again the dealer tells me this is a safety feature.
I’ve had numerous cars with folding mirrors which can be folded in at normal speeds and will only fold back out when activated.
There is no mention of this ‘feature’ in the owner’s manual. I’ve emailed MG but they have not responded.
Is this feature on all HS models or is it peculiar to my car?
I have had my HS Exclusive now for 15 months and 10,000 miles.
My travelling necessitates driving country lanes and the mirrors not folding over 12 mph is a nightmare. Most delivery vans often need more than half of the road, single decker country buses certainly do. The lanes have blind bends. My previous Land Rover Freelander’s mirrors stayed folded when required at any speed.

I have my exclusive since April'21 and I'm just shy of 18000 miles. I live in a rural area and 50% of the time I'm driving on narrow lanes. I also drive my HS in small French, Italian and Spanish villages with tiny cobbled streets and tight passing spaces. Before my HS, I drove a Hilux and Landcruiser. Not once, I have felt the need to folding my mirrors while driving, let alone above 12mph! If two vehicles can't pass, I woyld suggest to reverse and find a farm gate so the other vehicle can pass safely. Mostly this is a tractor or white van :) but on the odd occasion a driver who can't use reversing mirrors

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom