Forgot to close roof .oops

Adi6phil

Established Member
Reaction score
Today i left my sunroof fully open through a thunderstorm . The carpets are sodden with the back footwells like mini paddling pools, the centre console around the gear selector and storage tray had held water ,when i opened the slide i found both cup holders half full and the parking brake switch had held some water . obviously the seats and door cards were wet ,with water held in the inner door handles and window switches. So, everything has sponged and wiped dry and all switches are working as normal .carpets are still wet so i am praying for some sunny hot weather. The worst problem is that the roof lining seems to be holding water and has lots of damp patches that are dripping . So everyone be warned .. CLOSE YOUR SUNROOF !!

So sorry to hear that, perhaps you can borrow a de-humidifier or blow hot air from a fan heater through the car if you can get it under cover.

That's bad luck! The weather is full of localised surprises at the moment so it's an easy trap to fall into. Pity they don't autoclose when it starts to rain - but then you could inadvertently suffocate a dog or sleeping child I suppose?

That's bad luck! The weather is full of localised surprises at the moment so it's an easy trap to fall into. Pity they don't autoclose when it starts to rain - but then you could inadvertently suffocate a dog or sleeping child I suppose?
Given the rain storms lately, you're more likely to drown in there with a sunroof open than suffocate.
At least in the MG5 it's a problem I don't have to worry about.

Nor with the ZS Excite 😀
Today i left my sunroof fully open through a thunderstorm . The carpets are sodden with the back footwells like mini paddling pools, the centre console around the gear selector and storage tray had held water ,when i opened the slide i found both cup holders half full and the parking brake switch had held some water . obviously the seats and door cards were wet ,with water held in the inner door handles and window switches. So, everything has sponged and wiped dry and all switches are working as normal .carpets are still wet so i am praying for some sunny hot weather. The worst problem is that the roof lining seems to be holding water and has lots of damp patches that are dripping . So everyone be warned .. CLOSE YOUR SUNROOF !!

Years back I had a Ford Capri that leaked through the doors, down into the footwells. Other than keeping everything open to dry it out in drier weather, I used lots of old newspapers in each footwell that soaked up a fair amount over night, then I'd change them for dry papers and start over. Something like that might speed up the drying process. Or, you could leave the sunroof open overnight (sorry ;)).

Thanks for the advice. Will be very careful about this.

Hope you get it all dry...

Buy allot of dehumidifiers and place them in the car.....
Or like someone else said....rent a 220v-380v dehumidifier and place it in the trunk for a couple of days....

Hope you get it all dry...

Buy allot of dehumidifiers and place them in the car.....
Or like someone else said....rent a 220v-380v dehumidifier and place it in the trunk for a couple of days....
I the horn beeps if you try to lock the car with an open door / boot and think also windows . So it would be handy if the same applied to the sunroof
The car is currently parked with all windows and suroof open and unlike i thought the horn doesn't beep if the windows are open .

Sorry to hear that, all the best for getting it dried out.

I have accidently left the sunroof open tilted overnight and it has rained. Fortunately no water ingress problems.

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, anyway you'll laugh about it when it's all nice and dry. (Well Maybe). Just don't trust the English weather!!.

I have accidently left the sunroof open tilted overnight and it has rained. Fortunately no water ingress problems.
I did the same, fortunately the wind direction made it so that the rain was coming from the direction of the front of the car so nothing went in through the roof. But I did leave the windows cracked open a touch and the armrests and door switches got slightly wet on one side.

I the horn beeps if you try to lock the car with an open door / boot and think also windows . So it would be handy if the same applied to the sunroof
We have a velux window on the house with a rain sensor. Same tech could be applied to a vehicle once in Park mode?

Like you, but I have done this far TOO MANY times.
In fact, I bet its open right now !.
But yeah it does not appear to let in the rain, when the back is tilted up though ?.
Which is a good thing I guess.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom