Found a new range killer ?

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
The M62.

Had a weekend away and had to traverse that well known nightmare called the M62 with 3 adults and luggage.

Journey out 84 miles thanks to google diverting us from the M6 and taking us the shorter but slower route to our destination near Crewe ended up with 4.0m/kWh. Started at 100% and ended with 62% Temp about 15c.

Return using M6 M56 and M62 was 94 miles in rain and temp about 10c, started at 100% again and finished with 60%, car says 3.9m/kWh for the journey. Speed for both journeys was ACC set at 65 and intervened when needed for overtaking etc. etc.

Overall I was quite pleased with the numbers 'cos getting to the top of the M62 it was down to about 3.5 m/kWh.

Odd though that according to the car, 84 miles used 38% at 4.0m/kWh and 94 miles used 40% at 3.9m/kWh. Not sure how that works out !!

Anyhoos those figures give quite good confidence for longer journeys down the A1/M1 to come later this year with only 2 up and luggage.

Probably the rain that killed it. the tyres have to disperse hell of a lot of water at speed, which creates a lot of drag.

I didn't explain very well.
The M62 across the Pennines, as most will know, is a bloody big hill, highest motorway in the UK, and by the time we got to the top we were at 2.9m/kWh on the dash, having travelled thru' city traffic before the ascent. The journey down the other side didn't recover as much as it cost getting up obviously so was at about 3.1/3.2 by the time we got to the 'flattish' bits.
The final good figures were as a result of outbound travelling on slow roads at the end for 30 miles and homebound a jam on the M62 resulting in nose to tail traffic and crossing town again.

I think it does show that without the long climbs, on a normal motorway such as the M1 that 4 to 4.5m/kWh could be achievable at speeds of 65mph and with decent weather, so a potential 'range' of up to 250 miles in the LR.

I'm sure that there are others on here with far more extensive experience on long distance motorway runs than me that may have more input.

:)

I just did 360 miles up the M6 4 passenger & full boot at 15C, full motorway speeds 3.7 m/kwh. Came back at 65mph, 8C for half the route 365 miles 4.3 m/kwh.

190 miles down from Wigan MFG went from 85% to 8%. Wow!

I just did 360 miles up the M6 4 passenger & full boot at 15C, full motorway speeds 3.7 m/kwh. Came back at 65mph, 8C for half the route 365 miles 4.3 m/kwh.

190 miles down from Wigan MFG went from 85% to 8%. Wow!
Speed does make a real difference doesn't it. Extrapolating that figure gives a range 100%-0% of 247 miles, not too shabby and hopefully even more if and when temperatures rise to 20c. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom