France and charging payment advice.

slmorgan42

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Bonjour

I am going to visit my mum in Dieppe and taking my MG5 Facelift for the first time.

Trip over its a shame the Ferry doesn't have any charging options as the car will be sat in the hull for 4 hours. I wouldn't mind paying high costs just to take advantage of the time. Hopefully one day they will.

I have checked on previous visits and know where most of the chargers are in the area. One makes me laugh as it is next a vending machine that makes pizza 24/7. I will obviously not be using it but enjoying the true delights of locally fresh food.

I have read back through old threads on payment options in France but with recent changes to charging cost etc I wanted to revisit and get the latest recommendations.

I know there is a Lidl or Aldi near her house that does free charging. I have seen on here people talking about using these and wanted to find out if they needed to use a card/app to start the charge. If they did what card/app did they use?

I have the Electric Juice (Octopus) card but wanted check what are the current recommendations for cards and apps in France.

Side note I have ordered my Crit-Air sticker which should be waiting at her house for me when I arrive. Will probably not need it but for the 4 euro it costs seems silly not to get one.

Many thanks as always.

I have octopus, chargemap, shell, chargepoint and freshmile. The only one that didn't get used last year was freshmile. It just wasn't worth it when 15 euros credit had to be maintained. I could have easily got away without shell and chargemap as well. Both were only used once.

In short, octopus and chargepoint were my goto cards. This was on a 1500 mile round trip last summer.

Last edited:
I have octopus, chargemap, shell, chargepoint and freshmile. The only one that didn't get used last year was freshmile. It just wasn't worth it when 15 euros credit had to be maintained. I could have easily git away without shell and chargemap as well. Both were only used once.

In short, octopus and chargepoint were my goto cards. This was on a 1500 mile round trip last summer.
Great thank you

I have octopus, chargemap, shell, chargepoint and freshmile. The only one that didn't get used last year was freshmile. It just wasn't worth it when 15 euros credit had to be maintained. I could have easily got away without shell and chargemap as well. Both were only used once.

I have downloaded the Chargepoint app. Is there a card that goes with it? I cannot see how to order one.

I have downloaded the Chargepoint app. Is there a card that goes with it? I cannot see how to order one.
Worked it out. I had to create an account first :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom