• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Free chargers

Lambo51

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi wanted to start a thread on free chargers as I was totally unaware before entering the EV World of their existence , with not having a driveway they provide essential top ups.
Just found my first free 50kw pod point charger in a Lidl car park and the added bonus is it’s opposite my gym?

This could be a large thread! You can search / filter specifically for free Chargers In apps like zap-map and plugshare.

i just topped up for free at Union Square in Aberdeen. Had to pay for parking but was going anyway so doesn’t count:geek:

Ok cheers for tip. Motivation for thread Is to raise awareness for ice drivers thinking of making the switch as there is a large proportion of the population who do not have driveways

Hello Folks,
Free charging is also important for us EV users.
In fact some councils are saying they are going to withdraw their free EV charging facilities as they are underutilised and hence an unnecessary expense. (NB although it is free for us EV users the shops or local councils have to pay the providers or have some promotion agreements with the charging service providers)
We thus need to encourage widespread use of the free chargers to ensure they continue to be free as for as long as possible.
I will ask @Stuart Wright to help us setup a free charging challenge if enough members are willing to show interest.

Yes unfortunately manchester has only one month left of free charge then it’s swapping to BE Ev with the following rates

The proposed EV baseline tariff would require customers to pay £0.25 per kWh when fuelling their vehicle with a fast charger, and £0.35 per kWh when fuelling their vehicle with a rapid charger.

@Alambros,
Yes. That GMEV plan is now being implemented. There will still be some free chargers especially those in the promotional sector such as tesco/polar etc but unfortunately even those also seem under pressure to also stop.
Certain "people" want to make their money no matter what.
I personally think it is a retrograde step for Manchester.
Do not know the situation elsewhere in UK?

I've used IKEA Wembley, and several large Sainsburys for free fast charging. Haven't come across a Rapid one yet.

@Alambros,
So the Lidl Rapid charger you used was free and it is a pod point. This is absolutely amazing. It must be on the pod point app then. Am I right to think that is how you can locate and operate it? I will check all the Lidls. Free rapid chargers are as rare as Gold dust.
I believe the original intention of the promotional prodivers was to actually provide rapid chargers and enforce a one hour usage rule with no return in 24 hours but it seems the actual speed of fast verse rapid against cost/benefit ratios for the retailers involved were so high that most settled for the cheaper fast chargers.
We should all advertise the free chargers we know of and try to frequent them as much as possible as that is the only true way to keep them going.

It wasn’t on the pod point app either. I just plugged it in and Used touch screen on charger to start,had full battery when returning to car .its in Stockport . It had Ccs , Chademo and ac Chargers

@Alambros
Thanks noted.
I will check that one out when I go that way next week. I checked the pod point app for the Lidls in our GMEV sector but they are all "paid" @ 23p/kWh so slightly cheaper than GMEV's 25p. Only Tesco is "no cost" in our GMEV South sector on the pod point app.
I guess Stockport is Cheshire County so not a GMEV sector and may have different regulations. Is there a Parking Charge?

@Alambros Thanks. I will check it out.
Just been informed Stockport is a GMEV sector although it is Cheshire County so there are GMEV charge points in Stockport which will also be changed to Be.EV.
No chance for free charging...........
Free charging spots are vanishing everywhere in the GMEV area.
In some places l am told BE.EV has convinced GMEV to charge for the parking bay as well as the electric charge so one will now need to double pay for parking and then for charging the EV.
If the sort of numbers I am coming across are true it seems it will now not make any sense to drive your EV into Greater Manchester.
I have seen a quote of £1.80 per hour for parking plus 25p per kWh for charge as the new paid regime for the completely free kerbside chargers previously on the GMEV network.
Just doesn't make sense. Why charge EV's to park on a kerbside where there is free or limited parking for ICE?
I think in the end these Be.EV chargers will become "white elephant" on the streets that absolutely no one uses.

What have the Germans ever done for us
7C061984-445D-4F53-A067-FA388D5DB2BA.jpeg

@Alambros
Absolutely marvellous. I will pop up this week to buy some stuff and top up the car.
I think I know the place. Gym across the street with petrol station then traffic light further up before the car showrooms etc.
Relatively new place isn't?
Excellent find @Alambros this increases my ability to free charge dramatically. Thanks

@Alambros
Just happened to be around Portwood shopping area late last night so I popped up to the Lidl just before they closed at 10 pm and tried the free Rapid charger. Excellent and straight forward to use. I am very impressed by Pod Point and very grateful they are offering free Rapid charging.

I’m not so impressed with Pod Point, as I’m down in New Romney, on the Kent coast, on a break and they’re charging 50p per kWh for use of their 7kWh unit. A complete ripoff ?

Presumably you’re at the caravan park and they will have agreed the costs with Pod-Point. If you pop up to West Street car park in the village, there is a free 22kw Polar charger.

I’m not so impressed with Pod Point, as I’m down in New Romney, on the Kent coast, on a break and they’re charging 50p per kWh for use of their 7kWh unit. A complete ripoff ?

Hi Folks,
It seems the site owners also are making money from this electric charging issue.
For example all the pod-point chargers at Tesco are free but the majority of the Lidl pod-point chargers are paid @25p per kWh.
I think this price difference has nothing to do with pod-point themselves and may be due to the site owner.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom