wandle MG4 trophy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Tesla has tweeted “To celebrate the continued opening of our network to all EVs, non-Tesla EVs get their first Supercharging session for free until Jan 6, 2024” NB I assume this is just for their open chargers. Yesterday I tried their Supercharger at Luton and topped up 38 kWh in less than 25 mins. The whole experience was brilliant - basically plug in and press charge. Why cannot all charging stations be so easy?

Having moved to a Tesla a couple of months back, their charging process and infrastructure is awesome. Basically turn up, plug in, unplug when done, drive off. No apps or on site payment. Shell Recharge seems pretty good too.

Following my supposedly free charge, my credit card has been debited by Tesla. I used the open Tesla charger at Luton and it was my first time.
Did anyone else try this free offer and did they get charged?

Following my supposedly free charge, my credit card has been debited by Tesla. I used the open Tesla charger at Luton and it was my first time.
Did anyone else try this free offer and did they get charged?
Maybe they are going to credit them all back - probably easier than having the system not charge in the first place?

It’s showing as a cleared transaction (not a pending transaction) on my credit card account. I sent a Tweet to Tesla about this but have not had a response. I’ll give it a couple of days more to see if the payment is reversed.

Fastned have the same system as Tesla once you have registered your car with them. I think I heard a rumour that Gridserve might go the same way.
Gridserve first mentioned this a couple of years ago at least but were intending to use the more difficult certification method. If they had pursued the same authentication method as used by Fastned they could have done this ages ago.
I remember watching this in 2021 where it was mentioned and demonstrated (from 37:38 mins in)

Last edited:
Well I have been royally shafted by Tesla. I called them today and they said the offer was not available in the UK.
The original tweet came from the Tesla Europe Twitter account and said free charging was available in 18 European countries. I checked their website to see if the UK was on the list of open chargers. It was so I assumed I would get free charging. Now, looking closely at the list there are 19 countries but its impossible to know which one of the 19 is excluded.
I will complain to Tesla but I am not holding my breath.

Well I have been royally shafted by Tesla. I called them today and they said the offer was not available in the UK.
The original tweet came from the Tesla Europe Twitter account and said free charging was available in 18 European countries. I checked their website to see if the UK was on the list of open chargers. It was so I assumed I would get free charging. Now, looking closely at the list there are 19 countries but its impossible to know which one of the 19 is excluded.
I will complain to Tesla but I am not holding my breath.
I don't intend to be mean as it is easy to think it would include the UK, but I'm sure many have heard the old expression....“assumption is the mother of all mistakes” in one form or another.
Even Albert Einstein once declared, "Assumptions are made, and most assumptions are wrong."
One of my favourites is “Assumption is one dreadful and incurable disease, which sticks to the soul and wiggles across the skin.”
― Aniruddha Sastikar

Sorry none of this helps does it. :(

Generally the UK is very low priority for Tesla. I'm not sure why - other companies like Apple have the UK as a top tier market. It could be that Elon isn't a fan.

There has been a host of things the UK has got very late from Tesla and they've done things like no longer sell the Model S in RHD.

I think they've done great things to kick off the EV revolution and I am generally a Tesla fan but the UK is often forgotten.

I don't intend to be mean as it is easy to think it would include the UK, but I'm sure many have heard the old expression....“assumption is the mother of all mistakes” in one form or another.
Even Albert Einstein once declared, "Assumptions are made, and most assumptions are wrong."
One of my favourites is “Assumption is one dreadful and incurable disease, which sticks to the soul and wiggles across the skin.”
― Aniruddha Sastikar

Sorry none of this helps does it. :(
Hah, it doesn’t help😩😂
Nonetheless I have sent off a letter of complaint saying it is unreasonable to expect users to have to count the number of countries on a list and then guess which is the one which is excluded.

i will post again if I get a reply.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom