Front Windscreen Edges Bubbling

Pepe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

I have owned a mk 1 MGZS EV since new (2020). It's done 60,000 kms and I have been very happy with it.

But over the last 12 months I have noticed the edge of my front windscreen showing numerous small bubbles along the edges of the windscreen. It is as if there is some kind of delimitation starting.

I have looked at a few other similar models and noticed that they all have the same issue. My car is in Queensland, Australia. I asked for MG to check if this was an issue at its last service but I have not heard anything more. I wondered if any other owners have similar degradation effects and what, if any action they took to get it checked and resolved with MG under warranty.

The rear screen shows no sign at all of any bubbling effect and looks as good as new.

Look forward to any replies that might shed some light on this issue with my car.

Sincerely,

Doug

Last edited:
Hi Doug - I have witnessed problem on other manufactures cars also.
A relative of mine had the screen replaced on his VW Golf for the same reason.
The car as less than three years old and was covered under warranty.
The dealer had seen a number of other models do the same.
My wife has 2016 Fiat 500 that had only covered 15,000 miles and the rear screen has the same issue around the black banding on the outer edges of the glass.
It’s appears to be a all too common problem unfortunately.

It could be water or moisture ingress.
The rear and side windows may be toughened glass rather than laminated.

Hi Doug - I have witnessed problem on other manufactures cars also.
A relative of mine had the screen replaced on his VW Golf for the same reason.
The car as less than three years old and was covered under warranty.
The dealer had seen a number of other models do the same.
My wife has 2016 Fiat 500 that had only covered 15,000 miles and the rear screen has the same issue around the black banding on the outer edges of the glass.
It’s appears to be a all too common problem unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply. The MGs are made by SAIC. SAIC supplies many parts for VWs that come from China I believe. My sunroof, steering wheel and steering column are all found on VWs for example. So hopefully MG will consider this issue of `bubbling' as a potential delamination fault under warranty and repair it. The rear is unaffected.

Doug

Have a look at this. Maybe the Frit is not protecting the screen as it should?

Wow that is really interesting and I had no idea about why the pattern existed and I have learned something new. Thank you.

My fault(s) is on the outer edge of the front windscreens and maybe the wrong glue for Australian conditions (light is very harsh in Queensland) could be a reason for this. I'll take a picture to make this clearer and add it.

Again, thanks.

Doug

Here are pictures of the frit problems on the front screen edges. It rained this morning but the bubbles in the screen frit area are easily distinguishable.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0438.jpeg
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    911.8 KB · Views: 37
Looks like the layers of the windscreen aren't sealed properly, and you're getting water ingress.

I know how harsh Australian sun is. I have a old VW Campervan that was inported from Australia and one of the first jobs was to replace all the window rubbers, etc as the sun had dried and cracked them. Paint was also very faded from the UV.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom