Front wiper blades, change Mk2

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I know some will know this, but i only got my Mk2 less than a month ago, and i used some time to find out, so here it is.

So, the wiper arms in the front, can actually not be flipped up to change the blades, in the "parked position", this is the first time i ever saw this. The arm can only be lifted 2 inches before it interferes with the bonnet.

To change blades, turn off car, and within 20 seconds flip the wiper arm down as to do a single wipe. The wiper blades will go to a vertical position and stop. Next time you turn on the car they will return.

Hope this helps someone, and it's not only me, that did not know this :)

I know some will know this, but i only got my Mk2 less than a month ago, and i used some time to find out, so here it is.

So, the wiper arms in the front, can actually not be flipped up to change the blades, in the "parked position", this is the first time i ever saw this. The arm can only be lifted 2 inches before it interferes with the bonnet.

To change blades, turn off car, and within 20 seconds flip the wiper arm down as to do a single wipe. The wiper blades will go to a vertical position and stop. Next time you turn on the car they will return.

Similar to my BMW 225Xe - both the front and back wipers can only be lifted when a similar operation parks them vertically. The rear wiper is otherwise hidden at the top under the roof spoiler. Neat.

My Peugeot is the same. Need to do this in order to clean the windscreen and the wiper blades when I wash the car. It seems a lot of cars are similar.

The problem with things like this, they aren't easy to remember how to do it and you might only need to do it once while you own the car. Of course lots of cars can do this sort of thing but all do it differently.

The problem with things like this, they aren't easy to remember how to do it and you might only need to do it once while you own the car. Of course lots of cars can do this sort of thing but all do it differently.
Surely this is exactly why the make manuals?
Screenshot_20220506_181014.jpg

Yeah i had to drag the wife out to the car and tell her that she was NOT allowed to flip the wiper arms.

I know she sometimes do this in winter to clear the snow/ice on the windscreen, and i bet, even though i told her, she will not remember and make a dent in the bonnet, first thing later this year, when it gets cold.

Telling her, does not mean she wont do it, but it will mean, that i can say "I told you, so why did you do it" instead of her saying "Could have told me" :)

Are the wipers that bad they need changing already?
Not at all, i just wanted to lift them when i handwashed the car, but quickly found that they would interfere with the bonnet if i did so, and since none of the cars i owned in the last 20+ years have had this "design" i just thought i would put it out there.

If i can save one person from chipping their paint, then i feel it was worth it :)

If i can save one person from chipping their paint, then i feel it was worth it :)
This is a “Top Tip” - Thanks !.
Ask me how I found this out, while trying to lift the wiper blades away from the glass to wash our previous Gen 1 model !.
OBTW - You can buy touch up sticks from the MG dealer.
Ask me how I know 🤣.
A number of ZS and MG5 owners have fell for the same trick.
You can JUST about wash under the wiper blades, while washing the car, when they are in the “Park” position.
But you have to be super carefully NOT to lift the blade away from the glass very high, or you will scratch the paint away from the edge of the bonnet.
As suggested, you can put the wipers into “Service” mode, before you start to wash the car is another option.

Last edited:

My cars have been doing this for years, it's standard. But good to share, thank you.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom