Frozen charge port

Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I arrived home earlier and decided to put the car on charge, but couldn’t open the charge port. So, out with the extension cable, dig out the hair dryer and warm the area up at the top of the charge port and after about 5 minutes it opened.

This is what it was like yesterday before I put it on charge.

078C259A-4CBF-46F9-B9B5-92AAE2271B63.jpeg

Tried to put it on charge last night but go a flashing green light on Pod-Point - says it was going into charging cycle on the manual but not sure if any charging was done overnight - wonder if it was too cold - will see shortly !!

Problem sorted - a little bit of ice on charging port - car said connected but not charging last night - didn’t charge overnight - disconnected it this morning and had to give it a little more push thru the ice and snow and success it is charging !!!

Seen a few reports of the flap frozen shut and using warm water to unfreeze it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop this happening? (apart from waiting for spring).

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop this happening? (apart from waiting for spring).
No good if you need to rapid charge and you can’t open the charging port....!, this is my first worry about the car, but what do they do about this in Norway and other colder countries?.

Would tin foil or plastic sheeting over the port act as a temporary shield?

Would you kindly mind sharing the link?

Expand the post and scroll down for pictures.

I took a quick look and you can get similar rubber strip on eBay in black.

Expand the post and scroll down for pictures.

I took a quick look and you can get similar rubber strip on eBay in black.
Unfortunately I cannot open that as I am an unsociable sort of person and do not have a Facebook account :-(

My car charged fine overnight with my new Zappi but not sure if I am going out today !

Attachments

• Blue Bob under snow 1.jpg
    Blue Bob under snow 1.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 253
  • Blue Bob under snow 2.jpg
    Blue Bob under snow 2.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 280

I'm a fan of silicone spray for things like this, but a dousing with any water repellant should prevent it freezing. I put some on my door lock button and on the door mirror mounts and they haven't frozen since.

Attachments

• 148107890_2983155298628530_587978374263475561_o.jpg
    148107890_2983155298628530_587978374263475561_o.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 296
  • 148152111_2983155371961856_6085486718255755116_o.jpg
    148152111_2983155371961856_6085486718255755116_o.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 336
Problem sorted - a little bit of ice on charging port - car said connected but not charging last night - didn’t charge overnight - disconnected it this morning and had to give it a little more push thru the ice and snow and success it is charging !!!
My pod point over the last 3 days will not balance charge. It does the normal charging and I've been getting around 4 to 6kWh out of it, however when I expect the car to go into balance the pod point just starts flashing green.
I messaged them through the support chat, but they said it was most likely the car having scheduling etc... I told them MG's don't have anything like that.

However the Dumb Rolec at work balances for a very long time. Been plugging in at 9am and I leave around 7:30pm. It's still balancing at that point unfortunately, but I do unplug it to fetch dinner at 12 for around 30mins.

I have no snow on the contacts in the car from what I can see and the charge cable looks fine as well (good as new).

If you put hot water on the charge point door it is only going to freeze again when it goes cold. I put some neat antifreeze on a rag and wiped round all the areas of the charge point where they came into contact with each other. Seems to have done the trick. Not frozen up since.

If you put hot water on the charge point door it is only going to freeze again when it goes cold. I put some neat antifreeze on a rag and wiped round all the areas of the charge point where they came into contact with each other. Seems to have done the trick. Not frozen up since.
I want to find where the locking mechanism is so i can give it a good coating with some water repellent grease. But I can't figure out where it is, it's only the lock causing me problems.

Holy thread resurrection!!!!!

Had the problem of getting the port open last night which a hairdryer sorted🙂
This morning it won't lock into place.
What recommendations for a silicone spray chaps?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom