fuel tank cap

In my case it takes more force than any car I’ve ever owned but it does open every time. If it gets worse I’ll try a smear of Vaseline on the threads and seal face to see if that makes it easier to open.

I'M having trouble getting the filler cap to unscrew. There probably is a knack to it can somebody enlighten me please ?
I also had problems with this after the 1st fillup. I was at the service station and everybody there tried to get it off and failed also. Went to the dealer and he got it first time and said whats wrong with it :( After it happened twice they ordered and fitted a new fuel cap. Its a lot better but the first initial loosen I've found you give a hard first turn and it gets loose. Alternative what i did was carry a 8 inch shifting spanner in my glove box and use that to get past that first intial loosen and its fine. I've only filled up 3 times now anyway. My phev is doing 1.3l/100kms so i dont fill it much anyway :)

I had the same problem! I couldn't open the lid in any way. I went to an authorized service center and the mechanic simply turned it and managed to open it. I felt useless and weak. You really need finger strength, which unfortunately I don't have.

I found an open ended spanner that fitted over the center raised part, it makes unscrewing the cap childs play. I keep the spanner in the glovebox but so far it remains unused apart from testing it works!

I assume you followed the refueling procedure in the manual - right ?
The cap is tighter than older cars as the new emissions standards require containing the fumes .
It’s a problem if your hands are weak or arthritic.

The first time it happened to me I was in a petrol station forecourt and quite a few people tried and they couldn't get it off either and yes we were following the instructions to the letter. MG has replaced the petrol cap and I filled up the other day after 3500kms and I still couldn't get it off with my hands. I had my trusty spanner in the glovebox so used that to break the seal. It was easy with the spanner :)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom