Full beam head lamp flash sticks!

SDP79

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Full beam head lamp sticking has been mentioned in another thread and I did not wish to high jack their question. When I use the stalk to flash my headlamps they tend to stick on full beam and have to be activated again to release - or basically fiddle around until they go to dipped. This is particularly frustrating in darkness as you tend to blind on coming drivers unintentionally. I have tried being gentle and ensuring that the stalk is not bouncing back but it does seem a consistent issue when you first use the flash. Anyone else got this issue and is there a solution? Thank you

Are you pulling the stalk to you then release this flashes the headlights. Pushing a way from you put the main beam on until you pull it back to the centre to dip.

it sounds like you doing main beam, if you are pulling to you then on release and lights stay on high then the micro switch in the end of the stalk is sticking on and needs attention.

Last edited:
Are you pulling the stalk to you then release this flashes the headlights. Pushing a way from you put the main beam on until you pull it back to the centre to dip.

it sounds like you doing main beam, if you are pulling to you then on release and lights stay on high then the micro switch in the end of the stalk is sticking on and needs attention.
No just the regular pull the stalk toward me and then release - as on most cars , but it tends to leave the full beam on! It has been mentioned by others on another post so I was wondering if there was a solution or is this a trip back to the dealers?

This would be a trip back to dealership for them to replace the stalk as the micro switch is sticking.

Are you guys, that are experiencing this, using Auto high beam, I was just wondering, if so, whether it may be software related rather than the actual physical switch ?

Does this for me. I use auto high beam.

When stationary, it flashes as expected (i.e. lights on when stalk is pulled, back off when released). a double - pull would flash twice, as expected.

When moving, a short pull of the headlights to flash in exactly the same way puts the full beam on for what is probably only a second or two but feels longer! a double-pull turns the main beam 'on' (and takes over the display to tell me just in case I hadn't noticed).

So my habit of a couple of flashes of the lights to tell someone it's OK to pull into my lane becomes an aggressive blinding!

I'm more inclined to put this down to software.

Thanks to everybody. Yes I am using auto high beam. I will have a chat with the dealers to see what they say. Not had this problem on any other car so may be a software glitch or switch problem that will hopefully be ironed out at some time. I will carry one experimenting to see what affects this and get back at some time.

Is auto high beam only in the LR MG5? I can't find anything in the manual for my SR!
I think so. It uses the same light sensor bump in the middle of the dash as the auto climate control does, along with the MG pilot camera I believe. It needs these to see the ambient light level and also head / tail / street lights in front.

... but - is yours just as annoying when flashing the lights?

I think so. It uses the same light sensor bump in the middle of the dash as the auto climate control does, along with the MG pilot camera I believe. It needs these to see the ambient light level and also head / tail / street lights in front.

... but - is yours just as annoying when flashing the lights?
Yes it is, it seems to delay when headlights are on, almost waiting for the high beam graphic in the display. A simple light would do for me!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom