Full beam

jpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I've seen posts around adjusting the main dipped beam height but can we adjust the full beam height or left to right throw?

They are the same headlight unit, so up / down adjusts the dipped beam cutoff line and the main beam too. It's via the white hex recessed circular plug on top of the headlamp unit, a medium flat head screwdriver fits. Not sure if there is L/R adjustment. Check the electronic adjuster is on 0 first.

I've seen posts around adjusting the main dipped beam height but can we adjust the full beam height or left to right throw?
Adjustment should really be done by a garage, it's a brand new car so isn't relevant as such but correct light alignment (for want of a better term) is a pass or fail when it comes to an MOT, can also get some ticket happy traffic cops excited, if its way off

Adjustment should really be done by a garage, it's a brand new car so isn't relevant as such but correct light alignment (for want of a better term) is a pass or fail when it comes to an MOT, can also get some ticket happy traffic cops excited, if its way off
It's supposedly done by the garage that supplies the car. But never is, everyone reports really low pointing lights. Mine were aimed about 20ft in fromt of the car.

I incrementally raised the lights one turn each side and went a drive down a nearby dark lane. I then adjusted them while down the lane. After 3 goes the lights were clipping the road about 100ft in front with no dazzle, so it can be done yourself.

Getting a garage to do it? We can't get most of them to do anything useful.

It's supposedly done by the garage that supplies the car. But never is, everyone reports really low pointing lights. Mine were aimed about 20ft in fromt of the car.

I incrementally raised the lights one turn each side and went a drive down a nearby dark lane. I then adjusted them while down the lane. After 3 goes the lights were clipping the road about 100ft in front with no dazzle, so it can be done yourself.

Getting a garage to do it? We can't get most of them to do anything useful.
Last line is very true👍

They are the same headlight unit, so up / down adjusts the dipped beam cutoff line and the main beam too. It's via the white hex recessed circular plug on top of the headlamp unit, a medium flat head screwdriver fits. Not sure if there is L/R adjustment. Check the electronic adjuster is on 0 first.
There are two hex recessed plugs on the back of each headlight unit. When I adjusted the dipped beam, I cranked up the outer plugs. I haven't touched the inner plugs, but I assume they are for main beam. Anybody tried this?

I asked my dealer to check the lights as they seemed to me to be dipping too much. When I picked the car up I was told "your lights were fine, within MOT tolerance." I said, "but I wanted to know if they could be set higher, while still being within MOT tolerance." "Oh, well, it would have to go back in the workshop for that."

God give me strength.

I've got a headlight beam chart that you affix to a wall at the relevant height to be able to do fairly accurate adjustments with the legal parameters. I'll use this and also park my Mazda parallel to compare the throw. The dipped do seem a little to close/low compared to the full beam being excessively high, I just wanted all the info to adjust either if needed when I do it which once again the forum members have come through on 👍

There are two hex recessed plugs on the back of each headlight unit. When I adjusted the dipped beam, I cranked up the outer plugs. I haven't touched the inner plugs, but I assume they are for main beam. Anybody tried this?
s

Last edited:
I asked my dealer to check the lights as they seemed to me to be dipping too much. When I picked the car up I was told "your lights were fine, within MOT tolerance." I said, "but I wanted to know if they could be set higher, while still being within MOT tolerance." "Oh, well, it would have to go back in the workshop for that."

God give me strength.
Adjust them too high (in daytime) just before your next visit and ask them to check again.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back