Full charge range

EugeneM

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Have now done 300 odd miles in my EV.
After two overnight charges from my 7Kw home charge point the maximum range indicated is at best 136 miles before the car has turned a wheel.
Thought the range should be 155-160ish.
Thanks

I'm in a similar place with mine, car has done only about 400 miles so far.
I've charged it once at home on Granny charge cable (3kw I guess..) and it went up from 44 miles to 114 miles and just stayed there - I was plugged in for nearly 13 hrs.

Has anyone had success in getting the car to fully charge up and show 160+miles range using either a
  • 7kw home charger
  • 3kw home charger

After a fortnight or so, I usually get about 155 miles (indicated) from the three pin power point at home. But its all a bit academic in winter as temperatures are pretty low.

Electric car Achilles heel I'm afraid...

Yeah understand the Winter bit thanks, but the car has had a static 12hr period on my 7Kw charge point.
Still haven't been able to get any usable data to see what's actually going on, as the battery diagnostic on this car is streets behind anything else at the budget end of the EV market.

And yes do also know it's the Achilles heel of electric cars...
But having a meaniful and accurate battery range indication is a bit more important than anything else on a fully electric vehicle I'd have though.

How many miles/kWh are you getting ? Is it possible that the car has identified your right foot may be a little heavy and is setting the range accordingly ?

Blimey I'd be surprised if the car was that intelligent tbh!

But will try to extrapolate the m/Kw from the limited info available unless someone here knows where to find it at a key press.

@EugeneM 134 miles with HVAC on and in normal mode is bang on for this time of year and is what I get from a range.

The cold affects the range, both if the battery is cold and if it is cold outside. As does water on the road, or even damp roads, wind plus elevation.

150+ is possible in summer in warm weather.

Batteries do not like the cold.

Super thanks Mike.

Just one last thing that I alluded to earlier, are the range values indicated in each driving mode accurate?

Also can I suggest that you try driving and actually compare what’s shown to what you can actually achieve as the reason I say this is that my problem is the reverse of yours. After a full charge my range suggests that I can achieve 209 miles on a full charge; prior to the cold it was 218....!! However I cannot achieve this suggested mileage, but as it drops when I hit about 80 miles left it really becomes quiet accurate and I know how my car works. Perhaps yours start low, but does drop as quick and keeps a much more realistic approach.
It’s worth checking..and doing an actual range test to see.

I was getting 163 on the GOM in Normal mode, no HVAC, after a full charge in Summer, now getting 155, all short, urban journeys. The 155 drops to 145 when I put the HVAC on.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what the GOM is telling you, it's what you are actually achieving that matters. As your journey progresses just comparing actual miles travelled against reduction in GOM will give the best indication of how far you might be able to get before needing to re-charge. I know it's nice to have lots of bells and whistles to make life easier but I find it keeps you alert and helps pass the time on a long journey to re-calculate the reducing range and predict the next stop. Sad I know but I come from an era of pumping the brake pedal 3 or 4 times before the brake shoes (yes shoes not pads) would start to engage with the drums to slow the car down if you were lucky.

I charged my car on Monday and the N mode range was 141, Eco range 154. Before the current cold weather I was getting Eco GOM of at least 165 miles. That was without the aircon so with HVAC I had expected a lower figure this week. However I am still getting 4.2 miles/KWh.

Blimey I'd be surprised if the car was that intelligent tbh!

But will try to extrapolate the m/Kw from the limited info available unless someone here knows where to find it at a key press.
You can display the m/kw on the drives display (the small display between the speedo and energy dials). I can’t remember which sequence gets you to it, but it has. 2 displays - one for accumulated driving to date and one for the current journey.

The GOM calculates available distance based upon the m/kw calculation and the active electricity consumers. So if you have the heater on (uses HV battery) and headlights and drive in sport mode, m/kw drops and as a result so does GOM distance. It’s also effected by ambient temperature so in cold weather it will drop. Too.

It’s the same in an ICE car. The MPG calculation and miles left in your tank are recalled as you drive.

My car is less than a week old, has done about 300 miles and when I charge overnight GOM says 134 miles

Just like to say what nice bunch people we have on here.
Am a member of numerous car clubs (see profile), and all I'll say is there are some strange people out there!
So thanks for the informed, educational and courteous replies.
Will update my profile when drive is free again to include the EV (which does have some cosmetic mods!), and exclude the Jag.

I'm a bit old school. I zero the trip (It's automatic on the MG)when I charge. Check the miliage at the end of the day and subtract from the remaining GOM It's been pretty accurate so far. This is my third EV, so I'm quite used to the driving method. At the moment (7c) I seem to be getting about 3.9 mpk at best, I charged to 90% yesterday and the GOM indicated 145miles. It's a little early really , we have only had the car 2 months and done 750 miles. Yes I know, ridiculously low mileage, but COVID. I used to average about 4.1 in summer with my two previous Leafs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom