Full video review on MG HS PHEV, Electric cars and how to save money on new MG

kazuki1328

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hello All,

Finally released my new video review on the HS PHEV and electric vehicles. It's a long guide so you can skip between the chapters. There's definitely something in the video for everyone, as there's things I didn't know as a HS owner. It's a really good review (ok i'm biased haha)
All comments welcome here or on the video. If you find it remotely useful, please support by giving a like on the video and sharing with anyone you think might be interested. Many thanks

Compliments for your extensive showdown of our vehicle! Also the chapter function is handy for reverence. Well done!
Your conclusions at the end, positive and negative, in my opinion are very minor ups and downs.
Read about subjects on this forum and you will realize that this is a well made promo video.

Compliments for your extensive showdown of our vehicle! Also the chapter function is handy for reverence. Well done!
Your conclusions at the end, positive and negative, in my opinion are very minor ups and downs.
Read about subjects on this forum and you will realize that this is a well made promo video.
Thank you for watching and also your comments. It's noted and glad you enjoyed it

Excellent video. I have a HS PHEV on order, due end of February, maybe.
Learned lots in the video and that is after doing lots of research to make the purchase.

Hi
like the video just let you know in the summer I have the air conditioning switch on set to 17 and could drive to work and back on electric only, this morning after the ICE had come up to temperature I could run on electric only, when the water temperature falls then the ICE comes on for a short time then can move back to EV

Excellent video. I have a HS PHEV on order, due end of February, maybe.
Learned lots in the video and that is after doing lots of research to make the purchase.
Thanks Martin, I hope you get your car soon, I read elsewhere a couple of people got calls to say their cars were coming sooner than expected. Hope yours is one of them too

Hi
like the video just let you know in the summer I have the air conditioning switch on set to 17 and could drive to work and back on electric only, this morning after the ICE had come up to temperature I could run on electric only, when the water temperature falls then the ICE comes on for a short time then can move back to EV
Thanks JTO. Yeah people did mention it to me. But the video was amazingly long already so rather than get in to the specifics I just mentioned its needed for ICE. As it takes some playing around to work out temperatures that it will run on pure EV. But thanks for pointing that out.

I havent worked out my optimum temperatures but will definitely do so when it warms up!

Hi.
Great video, very informative. My car is due Feb/March (Hopefully that's in 2022!

Just one question, how did you connect the dash-cam? Feed,fuse, route?
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. I didn't bother to hard wire it. I did think about taking it to Halfords as supposedly they only charge £30 but there were definitely mixed views.
Some people swear by them but there was also horror stories of them completely messing up the electrics and I didnt want to risk invalidating my 7 year warranty.
So i got my dad to thread it under glove box and under the side beading/panels. Only needed a small screwdriver to lift up the side.

It just runs from the cigarette lighter

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. I didn't bother to hard wire it. I did think about taking it to Halfords as supposedly they only charge £30 but there were definitely mixed views.
Some people swear by them but there was also horror stories of them completely messing up the electrics and I didnt want to risk invalidating my 7 year warranty.
So i got my dad to thread it under glove box and under the side beading/panels. Only needed a small screwdriver to lift up the side.

It just runs from the cigarette lighter
I would prefer to hard wire it, I did see a post on the ZS forum so would hope the layout will be similar to the HS. I assume the the cigarette socket is not live and switched on with the rest of the car, so that will be fine until I work out the wiring.
I don't think I would trust Halfords either, it took three assistants to correctly install a new battery in my Octavia and clear the dash warnings!

I would prefer to hard wire it, I did see a post on the ZS forum so would hope the layout will be similar to the HS. I assume the the cigarette socket is not live and switched on with the rest of the car, so that will be fine until I work out the wiring.
I don't think I would trust Halfords either, it took three assistants to correctly install a new battery in my Octavia and clear the dash warnings!
Yeah it was horror stories like that to put me off! Maybe ask around and see if anyone has done it before and see if there any youtube videos

This infotainment system uses the older graphics tiles from the ZS - I wonder why MG runs two versions of infotainment graphics in Europe vs. Asia. The good new is that you all can look forward to a nice upgrade in the near future. The Super Sport button on the steering wheel is missing, paddles on the steering wheel to adjust regen are missing - not a big loss, again, just a curious difference.

Hello All,

Finally released my new video review on the HS PHEV and electric vehicles. It's a long guide so you can skip between the chapters. There's definitely something in the video for everyone, as there's things I didn't know as a HS owner. It's a really good review (ok i'm biased haha)
All comments welcome here or on the video. If you find it remotely useful, please support by giving a like on the video and sharing with anyone you think might be interested. Many thanks

Super review thank you

This infotainment system uses the older graphics tiles from the ZS - I wonder why MG runs two versions of infotainment graphics in Europe vs. Asia. The good new is that you all can look forward to a nice upgrade in the near future. The Super Sport button on the steering wheel is missing, paddles on the steering wheel to adjust regen are missing - not a big loss, again, just a curious difference.
I wasn't aware that there were 2 versions of the infotainment system, yes the sport button is missing, but I guess as an automatic, it lets the car do the thinking. If we need speed on the PHEV, we can shift from pure EV to hybrid which means we have 2 motors

I wasn't aware that there were 2 versions of the infotainment system, yes the sport button is missing, but I guess as an automatic, it lets the car do the thinking. If we need speed on the PHEV, we can shift from pure EV to hybrid which means we have 2 motors
I am not sure I understand your comment - or the differences are even more significant:
- mode selector on central console (eco, normal, sport) EV mode is also a separate button
-'super sport' mode on the steering wheel
-paddles on steering wheel to select 3 levels of regen
-new infotainment graphics

What I like about the 'sport' mode is that the throttle response is very peppy, and the ICE does not go into a start-stop mode.

Another curios difference I noted is the electric range, which calculates to around 50 km based on what I see on your dash - that is in stark contrast to the 67 km our cars show, and which is easily achievable.

Attachments

• differences.jpg
    differences.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 160
I am not sure I understand your comment - or the differences are even more significant:
- mode selector on central console (eco, normal, sport) EV mode is also a separate button
-'super sport' mode on the steering wheel
-paddles on steering wheel to select 3 levels of regen
-new infotainment graphics

What I like about the 'sport' mode is that the throttle response is very peppy, and the ICE does not go into a start-stop mode.

Another curios difference I noted is the electric range, which calculates to around 50 km based on what I see on your dash - that is in stark contrast to the 67 km our cars show, and which is easily achievable.
In the UK on HS PHEV there is no sports button on the steering wheel, only the full petrol engine HS has this sport button.

Hello All,

Good all round review. I am collecting mine this Friday, an ex-demo from a delaership. Took it out for a test drive and very pleased with the drive and the comfort too. Though seemed to have problems opening up the rear hatch for the boot. Kept pressing the fob to open, it wouldn't play ball.

Anyone got any advice? Apologies if someone has already posted on here.

Good all round review. I am collecting mine this Friday, an ex-demo from a delaership. Took it out for a test drive and very pleased with the drive and the comfort too. Though seemed to have problems opening up the rear hatch for the boot. Kept pressing the fob to open, it wouldn't play ball.

Anyone got any advice? Apologies if someone has already posted on here.
Thank you. Sorry I can't think of any reason for the boot problem. Maybe its low battery in the key fob? Sounds silly and minor but maybe ask dealer to change battery to see if it helps. The key continuously send signals out even when not in use so that reduces battery life. I have my key in a signal blocking pouch.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom